Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Default Buy Prime or wait for Infinity

I am looking to pick up a tablet for school and work and I have been looking at the Prime and Xoom since the Xoom is now over a year old I think the Prime will win out I just wonder if I should get the Prime now or wait for the Infinity?

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

New I pad

Default Re: Buy Prime or wait for Infinity

wait for the infiniy

Personally, I figure there will always be another improved/better/superior device about to come out. So, if you need it now or will start benefiting from having it now, then get what you want, now. If you're not going to use it or benefit from it yet, or you don't need it yet, then wait. Just IMO.
    Michael

HTC One M8 - Verizon
    Moto 360
    Devinator likes this.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

If you are looking for a good tablet for school then I would suggest the Prime. I have a friend that has the original transformer and uses it for school. The keyboard can be a great addition when you need to type up a paper at the last minute. No to mention the additional battery life that you will get with it.

There will always be something bigger and better, once you get the Infinity ASUS will announce the Transformer SuperMegaUltimate (name not final.). The prime is nifty and solid, but has a few notable issues. You win either way but if GPS is important to you I'd say wait.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    Personally, I figure there will always be another improved/better/superior device about to come out. So, if you need it now or will start benefiting from having it now, then get what you want, now. If you're not going to use it or benefit from it yet, or you don't need it yet, then wait. Just IMO.
    Spot on. There will always be something new coming out. And, while the new pad will fix some issues like WiFi and what not, the next pad that comes out will fix issues that that one had, and, you can play that game forever and never end up with anything.

Once you have something to fill that niche, then you can play the waiting game a bit more when looking for a replacement. But, if this is your first device to fill a niche, I'd say just go for it if you need one now. If there is something new coming out and you can wait for it, try and wait. This can bite you in the *** though. Before I got my current phone, I was waiting for them to announce who would get the S II. I finally gave in and just ended up getting an X2. I wasted months not getting a phone, and, Verizon never even ended up getting it anyway.

if you had asked a few months ago i would have said wait, but its becoming clearer to me that asus is not planning on launching the infinity anytime soon. i too had decided to wait, but am getting tired of no new news or updates on anything infinity related and have recently been comtemplating getting a tf300 to tide me over.

rumor says the infinity will now be released at the end of the year and that is definately to long to wait for something you might need, so the choice really falls down to how soon you need your tablet, and what you want it to do.

Sneakers, the Infinity release date will be announced 24 hours after you give in and buy a Prime. That's how these things go.

I just gave into getting the prime. I don't want to pay 100 more just for minor things
    nate735#AC likes this.

Keep in mind that the GPS issues should be solved by the dongle that they will be unveiling and providing to registered Prime owners next Monday. I have no idea if that will also hlp with wifi issues (if you've had any, I personally haven't), but if it is a slim solution that doesn't affect the usability of any of the cases or skins then it sounds like we'll finally have the dream tablet that we were looking for (as opposed to one that "almost gets it perfect".

i personally could care less about the gps issues, its the wifi issues that concern me, i would rather get a prime than a 300. although the newer primes dont seem to have as much of an issue with wifi, i dont want to be an unlucky one who gets a bad unit and have to spend time and money going through replacements until i get one that works right.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

I took the jump yesterday and ordered a Prime from Gamestop since they show them in stock now the wait to see when they ship them

Quote Originally Posted by Slayers View Post
    I took the jump yesterday and ordered a Prime from Gamestop since they show them in stock now the wait to see when they ship them
    Slayer
    If my experience is any indication, you're going to love it!

Just returned from a five day trip to Dallas, and for the first time (we go every year), I left my laptop at home, and just brought my Transformer Prime with dock.

Worked fine for about 90% of what I needed. Unfortunately, some business came up which required printing (not sure how to print yet, from the TP), so I had to go to a FedEx to use their computer and printer for about thirty minutes.

Still, much nicer then having to lug my laptop, charger, carrying case, etc.

WiFi has worked flawlessly for me! No problems at home, at Starbucks or restaurants, in the hotel... has worked great!

GPS... not so much.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by ShelW View Post
    Slayer

GPS... not so much.
    Well, hopefully the dongle will fix that. Thankfully most of us probably have phones on us more than our primes, and, that GPS should work just fine.

why can't they make a wifi booster for it. I was thinking about it and I hope this isn't part of there marketing for people to buy the new prime coming out in June cause that would be ed. though my house is pretty big my wifi is in the basement and im on the top floor and i have 2 bars. my phone can get 4 .. this is kinda dumb.. but I guess I can live without. It just irks me a little and I think they need to send a fix somehow.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Contact Asus and let them know how you feel. I'm sure they are aware of the issue, but, unless you speak up and complain to them directly, nothing is going to happen.

i just made the jump today and so far i am liking it a lot, except for those couple minor things, that i'll either need to work around or find a setting to fix... coming from a touchpad with android installed on it, this has all of those pesky touchpad issues fixed and runs so much smoother, and i am almost in total love with the keyboard. i wish the trackpad was 1/2 inch away from the keyboard and i wish there was keys for recent apps and power/unlock.

no wifi problems here and this one came with ics on it, so i'm guessing it's a newer prime!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

If the track pad was farther away from the keyboard it would be hanging off the dock. Space is tight and they made pretty good use of it.

I find that I generally turn the track pad off anyway. I find that I bump it too much while typing. Additionally, since it's a tablet, I'd rather just reach up and touch the screen to interact. It's nice that the track pad is there, but, I really bought it for the keyboard. The extra battery is nice too. Haven't used the full sized USB port on the side yet, but, I'm sure i will. And, the extra SD slot, especially the option of it being full size, is nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    I find that I generally turn the track pad off anyway. I find that I bump it too much while typing. Additionally, since it's a tablet, I'd rather just reach up and touch the screen to interact. It's nice that the track pad is there, but, I really bought it for the keyboard. The extra battery is nice too. Haven't used the full sized USB port on the side yet, but, I'm sure i will. And, the extra SD slot, especially the option of it being full size, is nice too.
    The extra battery is probably the second biggest reason to buy the dock (after the keyboard itself). The USB seems to work find with wireless mice that I've used, so there's no reason for the trackpad as far as I'm concerned. Generally I've been very impressed with the keyboard, and have taken the prime on several business trips in lieu of a full laptop with no issues.

The GPS dongle looks to be a hideous debacle at this point. I've ordered mine since it's free and will round out the functionality, though I doubt that I will use it often since it precludes using a case.

is there a photo of the gps dongle?
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcferrin View Post
    The extra battery is probably the second biggest reason to buy the dock (after the keyboard itself). The USB seems to work find with wireless mice that I've used, so there's no reason for the trackpad as far as I'm concerned. Generally I've been very impressed with the keyboard, and have taken the prime on several business trips in lieu of a full laptop with no issues.

The GPS dongle looks to be a hideous debacle at this point. I've ordered mine since it's free and will round out the functionality, though I doubt that I will use it often since it precludes using a case.
    I keep meaning to get a wireless mouse for it so I can check it out, thanks for the reminder. It does indeed make the track pad unnecessary. But, I dunno that even with a mouse I'd use it all that much. I find the touch screen to be a great medium of interaction. But, I am glad that I can use one if I want.

Agreed, I don't think I'll ever use mine either. I mean, I have a phone that is on me more than my Prime. But, as you stated, its' free, so, I'll get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by c00l0ne View Post
    is there a photo of the gps dongle?
    yes,

http://1.androidauthority.com/wp-con...gps-dongle.jpg

it connects through the data port is what i read
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Yea, it looks like it connects that way. I guess using this with the dock is ruled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    I keep meaning to get a wireless mouse for it so I can check it out, thanks for the reminder. It does indeed make the track pad unnecessary. But, I dunno that even with a mouse I'd use it all that much. I find the touch screen to be a great medium of interaction. But, I am glad that I can use one if I want.
    I am fairly obsessive about fingerprints and smudges on the screen, so I prefer a mouse (when docked) or a stylus (when not docked). I also use Splashtop and Pocketcloud to remote into PC's back at home when I travel (so I can have my full complement of Windows software with me even when it's not), so using a travel mouse is a huge benefit to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast