1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Problems with wifi tether

I am using the wifi tether app (google project) and like a fool, I quickly dismissed some warning on the prime about not supporting ad hoc wifi networks.

I simply cannot get my prime to connect to my nexus s 4g using the wifi tether. The prime's wifi works fine. My laptop can connect to my phone when tethering.

Recommendations? Other programs?
    Phone: Galaxy Note 2 | ROM: Stock | Kernel: Stock
    Tablet: Transformer Prime | ROM: Hairy Bean | Kernel: Clemsyn
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Default Re: Problems with wifi tether

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to use your phones data connection on your Prime? If so, I connected to my phone VIA Bluetooth and used my phone's data connection that way.

Try Open Garden. Others didn't work, but OG works on my Prime at 4G speed.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to use your phones data connection on your Prime? If so, I connected to my phone VIA Bluetooth and used my phone's data connection that way.
    Interesting.

I'll give the bluetooth a try.

But, yes, basically I am trying to use my phone's data connection on the prime.

There are obviously situations in which I would deem this necessary.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Interesting.

I'll give the bluetooth a try.

But, yes, basically I am trying to use my phone's data connection on the prime.

There are obviously situations in which I would deem this necessary.
    Going through Bluetooth gave me good results. Didn't try and do anything like stream, but, it was definitely working. It should be set to do this by default on your Prime just by connecting them.

Not sure if this other method you are talking about would yield faster speeds, but, I know for sure this one works, and, it's seamless. Just connect VIA Bluetooth and it should give you results right away. I was really impressed/pleased. I generally use my Prime where WiFi is available, so, I haven't really tested out the speeds. But, in a pinch, knowing I could go out through my phone is great.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mountain flier View Post
    Try Open Garden. Others didn't work, but OG works on my Prime at 4G speed.
    Did not work. Crashed and rebooted. It is probably irrelevant. I think by changing the profiles in wifi tether I got it to work with my Prime.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Going through Bluetooth gave me good results. Didn't try and do anything like stream, but, it was definitely working. It should be set to do this by default on your Prime just by connecting them....Just connect VIA Bluetooth and it should give you results right away. I was really impressed/pleased.
    Good to know.

I was able to connect my Nexus S 4G to my Prime via Bluetooth and they paired with each other, but I couldn't get it to stream data to the Prime. Both had internet function checked off.

Will have to play further with it.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Good to know.

I was able to connect my Nexus S 4G to my Prime via Bluetooth and they paired with each other, but I couldn't get it to stream data to the Prime. Both had internet function checked off.

Will have to play further with it.
    Try rebooting both your phone and your Prime, then giving it another shot, if you don't have luck with that, respond to this and I'll mess with it in the morning. Maybe there was something I left out, but, I don't think there was.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Try rebooting both your phone and your Prime, then giving it another shot, if you don't have luck with that, respond to this and I'll mess with it in the morning. Maybe there was something I left out, but, I don't think there was.
    Still a no go.

In fact, when both are connected via bluetooth, the popup control panel on the prime specifically states next to the bluetooth icon that there is no internet connection available. That may be unrelated, but I just can't get the bluetooth internet to work.

I can transfer back and forth via bluetooth...just no internet.

I think wifi tether will have to suffice.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

When you said they both had internet function checked off before, did you mean it was off, or, it was checked to be on? I just wanna make sure you drilled into the connection on your Prime and made sure it was set for internet. I'll try and mess with it later, see if I can figure anything out. No time now.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

When you said they both had internet function checked off before, did you mean it was off, or, it was checked to be on? I just wanna make sure you drilled into the connection on your Prime and made sure it was set for internet. I'll try and mess with it later, see if I can figure anything out. No time now.
    Sorry re: the confusion. The checkbox is checked in both circumstances.
    Last edited by kevincwelch; 04-14-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Man, that's really strange. Like I said, I didn't do anything special and it's working fine. I'm connected via Bluetooth right now, wireless is off, and, I'm responding to you. So, it's definitely working. Wish I had more advice for you. The only thing I can say is to reboot both devices a couple of times, and, maybe it'll work. And, if you are feeling up to it, the only other thing I can think of is a factory reset. Others have had problems with their Primes when they first got them and a reset fixed them. Other than that, I got nothing.