Dolphin Browser on Prime... Pleasantly Surprised

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
While Chrome has gotten all of the tech hype lately, I started using Dolphin Browser a few days ago and I have to say I am really impressed.

I finally gave up on Chrome for my Prime. It's way too unstable. It was constantly causing my Prime to hang and run extremely poorly. On my Galaxy Nexus, Chrome runs wonderful, but it's still running very much like the beta it is on the Prime. Google even acknowledges this as the Prime is specifically listed as a device with known issues on the development page, and they are working on it.

Until then, I find that Dolphin does everything Chrome does, but alot faster. Plus it runs Flash. But the speed is what is impressive. Dolphin seems to have no problem running on ICS for tablets. I have yet to get a force close, unlike Chrome every session.

What does Chrome do that Dolphin doesn't, other than the whole browser sync feature?

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I use Dolphin HD as my default browser on my Prime and I love it. I have it setup in desktop mode all the time and I also use LastPass and X-Marks to keep all my passwords and bookmarks synced with my desktop's Firefox. The only limitation is that it needs to support bookmark subfolders but there is a workaround with X-Marks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can't speak for using the Prime but I used Dolphin HD exclusively on my NS4G. I even went as far as to remove the stock browser on my ROM.

Dolphin is the best in my book. I've tried many others but always go back to Dolphin.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I was using Chrome but eventually it got to the point that I was saying to myself "Why am I using this crap if it stinks!". And I am a huge Chrome fan. I have used it on all my PCs as my default browser and I use it on my Nexus, where it works almost flawlessly.

But it's still a Beta and apparently it is not all that optimized for the Prime, at least not yet. Which is surprising since Google seems to be having a very close relationship with Asus lately.

I also use Dolphin HD in desktop mode. It has some quirks like no back button, but I find it loads pages extremely fast and usually accurately. Whereas Chrome will sometimes not load the page at all because it sometimes becomes unresponsive.

ThatGuy88

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Dolphin Browser HD is my number one browser at the moment, Chrome was just too buggy and disappointing with the lack of Flash. I also recently downloaded Maxthon Browser and I'm finding that it's just as good if not better in some areas as Dolphin is; extremely smooth and fast. My only issue is when I have over 10 tabs open on Dolphin, the tablet gets stuck and restarts on its own whereas Maxthon can keep open as many tabs as possible.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I could give two hoots about flash support, but I use Dolphin for 95% of my browsing on the prime (and all of it on my Droid 4). I really liked Chrome on the prime, and the initial beta release seemed to work well. After installing the latest Chrome update it's been horrible, though. I get sluggishness or completely browser lock-ups all the time in Chrome now, so it's back to Dolphin. I'll probably go back to Chrome once it becomes more stable and usable on the Prime, but for the time being it's just not worth the frustration.

brainimpact

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I use dolphin only stared to last week and damn have i been missing out, it runs perfect on prime and UI works well, big plus also is the various add-ons like save to pdf.
recommend, thumbs up from me

Droid Brick

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You know, I may give Dolphin another try after reading this. I too have had many problems with Chrome but I'm a creature of habit and just couldn't make the jump to another browser. I never thought I'd miss flash but Chrome has shown me, or not, all the websites I use with flash.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I have been getting frustrated with chrome myself, however I find myself liking the stock browser built in to ice cream sandwich.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

ilomambo

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The main drawback I found on the dolphin browser is that I could not find a way to import my chrome bookmarks.
I now use mainly the ICS+ browser, which is a revamped stock browser and has automatically imported and keeps in sync with chrome bookmarks.

dr12487

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I started out with the stock browser. Meh. It was OK. Tried Dolphin because I use it on my Epic 4G, and liked it. Tried Chrome too, but I don't really like how Chrome loads mobile sites by default.

I end up using Dolphin most of the time, because you can easily set it to Desktop mode and it'll load full sites. It's usually pretty snappy and responsive.

By the way, turning off auto-load Flash can help speed things up on Dolphin too. Instead of automatically loading all Flash objects on a page, it'll load a blank space with a "Download" arrow. If you press on the arrow, it'll load the Flash object. Makes load times a lot faster, in my observation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer