VPN to use My Desktop from remote location

zinvestor

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I am able to connect my Prime to my laptop as long as I am on the same network (wifi). Is it possible to set up a VPN into my office network (AT&T Uverse) from a remote wifi hotspot in order to use my desktop software? If so what software is needed both on the Prime and the office network?

Response from anyone currently doing this will be greatly appreciated.

yazoowho

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I use Splashtop on the weekends and leave my laptop at the office. If I need intensive work I can still use my home PC and connect to my work laptop via the Software.

I got the Android app for free from Amazon on one of its daily freebies. I know its a paid app but it does work. Even through my work network, I just log in using my Gmail account and it can find my work laptop behind our routers. Easy config.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zinvestor

May 19, 2012
Visit site
yazoowho, thanks for the info, however I think you misunderstood my problem. I need to vpn from the Prime to my UVerse network to be able to see my laptop from a remote location. I'm an independent consultant, so my home laptop is my office laptop.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
yazoowho, thanks for the info, however I think you misunderstood my problem. I need to vpn from the Prime to my UVerse network to be able to see my laptop from a remote location. I'm an independent consultant, so my home laptop is my office laptop.

Not if you're using Splashtop. It tunnels over the GTalk protocol and doesn't require a VPN or for you to open ports on your firewall. It does require you to install the Splashtop Streamer client on any PC that you want to connect to, and then when you launch the Splashtop client you provide your Google credentials and you are presented with a list of PCs that you have installed the Streamer on that you can connect to. I've got it installed on multiple systems at my house and don't have a VPN or port forwarding configured, yet I can connect to any of them from my Prime when I'm out and about.

I didn't know that there was a full desktop client though. I've been pining for one for awhile now.

Reactions: zinvestor

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta