Best Buy Exchanging Primes?

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
ugh, i bought my tf201 at officedepot.com because i couldnt find any in stock anywhere, and that must have been back in march? i really wish i could exchange it for a tf700... i wanted to hold out for the infinity back then but had no idea when they would actually be shipping so i just gave in and got the 201.

i played with a tf700 today at best buy and man the screen is REALLY nice... any way i can get the same thing done through asus? ive never done anything through officedepot but i would imagine it being a pita, especially since i bought it online. i thought i remember reading something about a 15% restocking fee for refunds/exchanges, not to mention the fact that i bought it almost 5 months ago.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
People being told to contact ASUS are probably SOL. This is in an email I got from ASUS with my RMA number for a repair:
ASUS - North America (NA) is a warranty service center only. Please contact place of purchase for credit, refunds, upgrades / model changes, or new retail box replacement. ASUS does not provide these services under any circumstances.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Color me shocked. I bought my TF201 back in JANUARY from Best Buy's web site with store pickup. I just took it back tonight and told them that the GPS has never worked and that I wanted a warranty exchange on it. Customer Service had someone from Geek squad verify that the GPS couldn't see a single satellite (even indoors at the store, my Droid 4 got 14 satellites on GPS test), and then agreed to do the swap. No hassling, no arguments, no nothing. They even suggested that instead of getting another TF201 that I get the TF700 since it's the same price, as if that weren't the reason that I was there in the first place!

The only issue that I ran into was that when doing the return the computer kept coming up saying that I owed $5.35. The CS rep couldn't make heads or tails of it, but we assumed that the system didn't like that I had originally paid with a combination of Reward Zone certificates, gift cards, and my credit card. But since I paid the same price for my Prime as the Infinity ($499.99) she just had a manager approve it. Obviously I had my receipt and original packaging. I normally complain about Best Buy, but they really did a great job for me. I'm sorry that other people aren't having as good luck.

Anyway, I'm charging the Infinity now. Once it has a little life in it I'll plug it into the dock and then we're off.

McRoth

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting this! I was able to swap mine at my local BB today. No hassle or anything, she just swapped it out, took maybe 10 minutes.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
What color of the Infinity model is Best Buy selling? I have the Amesthyst Gray color for my Prime and dock. I won't do the exchange if they aren't selling the same color.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
IMO this is making GameStop and ASUS look pretty bad haha. I know for sure that I won't buy anything at GameStop again (not a gamer, so odds were against it anyway), and I'm quite unimpressed with Asus's customer service as well. Best Buy is giving people an Infinity for the problems EVERYONE has had with this tablet from the beginning, but Asus was going to make ME pay for shipping for them to fix the camera on my tablet that broke with an update THEY sent out.

Say what you want about Apple, and maybe I'm just spoiled by my experiences with them, but I recommend the hell out of AppleCare to anyone buying an Apple product. I can't even recommend buying an Asus product in the first place if you care at all about customer service. I love the product aside from its well-known flaws, but am just frustrated by my experiences overall.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Who buys stuff from Gamestop anyway? :p

Well, you are comparing customer service for a product you purchased to products you purchased and paid more money to have them take care of you. If you had paid for AsusCare (I know it doesn't exist, made it up to prove the point) and were in the same situation, I'd say, okay, but, it's really not the same boat. You'd have to compare it to Apple's customer service without AppleCare.

And, I've already had them take care of me once when my Prime bricked due to a bad Mobo. Replaced my Mobo, no questions asked, they paid shipping both ways.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, Apple's products are expensive because you pay for customer service. ($1000 for a computer with the same amount of space as a large ipod classic, anyone?).

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Who buys stuff from Gamestop anyway? :p

Haha, not me anymore. :p

Well, you are comparing customer service for a product you purchased to products you purchased and paid more money to have them take care of you. If you had paid for AsusCare (I know it doesn't exist, made it up to prove the point) and were in the same situation, I'd say, okay, but, it's really not the same boat. You'd have to compare it to Apple's customer service without AppleCare.

The only problem there is that if you don't pay for extended AppleCare, you still get the same level of service for a year, maybe without phone support or something after a certain time but being able to go to the AppleStore beats that anyway.

But yeah, I guess that's kinda the trade-off with Apple: paying $500 gets you a lower spec'd product but better customer service.

To be honest, I was kind of over-reacting. I still love the Transformer Prime. Just kinda jealous some people are getting Infinities :p, and frustrated from having to call Asus so many times for a simple fix (and never getting the replacement USB cable they were supposed to send me).

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol, yea, Gamestop? Best Buy? That's not Amazon or Newegg, lol.

Ahh, I gotcha. I'll concede that I have heard good things about Apple's customer service, but, I have yet to have anything but stellar service from Asus. That is only based off one interaction though, we'll see what happens in the future.

Lol. Yea, I'm jealous too man. Well, if you aren't getting what you want from them, you should send them an email or write a letter with your issues. Sometimes you have to take it to the next level when dealing with companies, but, it usually works out in my favor.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I was able to exchange my Prime at my local Best Buy, despite buying it on Feb. 28. I figured I would have to haggle, but I didn't. When I was asked what was the issue I was told I can't get a GPS signal and WiFI reception is extremely weak.

The CSR put all that into the computer, asked me if I wanted to exchange it for another tablet, I said yes the Infinity. I went and got the Infinity from the tablets department and walked out the door 5 minutes later with a brand new Infinity.

Best Buy really earned my respect with this one. They don't have to do this but they are because it seems they understand electronics and that they should "work". That's great customer service in my book.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you check online to see if the store has the Infinity, & make sure you get the correct replacement in the store (the first BB employee I went to got the Transformer 300 instead...the customer service rep noticed it & got the T700).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

eubanksja

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Took mine back to a store in NC today. Lady at customer service noticed it had been since Jan and stated she didn't think it would let her return it. I told her that GPS didn't work and that ASUS had told me to return it to the store. She typed it in and the computer took it (no manager override req). Gave me a gift card for the full amount. I went back and bought a TF-700. It did cost me $1.20 because tax rates had changed.

c00l0ne

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have a choice if I should trade mine in since I have 1yr warranty and I bought it at BB, question is, is it really worth trading it? People in the other forum with infinitys are still complaining about lag, etc....

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
just the screen imo makes it worth the deal. The better wifi reception is just icing on the cake. We have lag on the TFP as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10