Prime vs. Ipad 3rd Gen 1st impressions

ba4g

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this has been done before..but why not again?

Work just sent us all Ipads (not a real bummer problem to have). But first impressions are usually right. At least for this beginner.

Operating system..a wash. They are both different you get used to them.
Screen - Ipad (but less than HD content like family guy on netflix was grainy on the Retina)
Keyboard dock - Prime all the way. Pointer, battery, physical docking, clam shell.
Weight/form factor - Prime. the Ipad 3 seemed heavy and thick compared to the Prime. Maybe because I've used it for 5 months regularly, but..
Access - Prime (how do i get crap onto this Ipad thing??)

That said, I have to many things with screens laying around now for my taste. will be posting it soon I'm afraid.:'(

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine an iPad evenly remotely holding a candle to my Prime. Haven't had them side by side, but, I can imagine.

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a prime yesterday (I initially wanted one but got an iPad 3 first because of a flip of a coin) and I can agree to everything that was said.

My first thought when I held the Prime was that the iPad 3 felt too bulky afterwards. The amount of bezel on both is large, which is what I suspect the reason behind this was for grip.

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine an iPad evenly remotely holding a candle to my Prime. Haven't had them side by side, but, I can imagine.

I am not even a fan of the iPad or anything Apple but, the Prime offers laughably poor performance largely due to Android. All you need to do is look it up since the results have been published. The Prime wins for straight-up computing power but lost almost across the board with respect to real world performance. It is really a demonstration of the fact that all the hardware power available cannot make up for a poorly designed and optimized OS. The little PlayBook I owned at one point ran circles around my Prime in terms of actual performance - no lag, immediate response, etc., etc..

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I am not even a fan of the iPad or anything Apple but, the Prime offers laughably poor performance largely due to Android. All you need to do is look it up since the results have been published. The Prime wins for straight-up computing power but lost almost across the board with respect to real world performance. It is really a demonstration of the fact that all the hardware power available cannot make up for a poorly designed and optimized OS. The little PlayBook I owned at one point ran circles around my Prime in terms of actual performance - no lag, immediate response, etc., etc..

My Prime does not lag. Apps hanging for a second or two happens ever so rarely now. And, everything is as smooth as butter. Like most operating systems, the way they are used and maintained by the user is going to provide a different experience.

Also, it was a photo finish between Prime and iPad for the large tablet category this year in Consumer Reports. iPad beat Prime by a fraction. I'm not sure where you are looking it up, but, I read that a couple of months ago. Additionally, I don't need to look it up because I use my Prime, and, I know what it's capable of.

Last edited:

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the winner is based on the user. Have a mac, iphone, and apple TV? Go with the Ipad (you have the ecosystem already set up). Running a linux box and android phone? Android all the way (I don't think you can even connect an ipad to linux, can you? Does itunes for linux exist?)

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
My Prime does not lag. Apps hanging for a second or two happens ever so rarely now. And, everything is as smooth as butter. Like most operating systems, the way they are used and maintained by the user is going to provide a different experience.

Also, it was a photo finish between Prime and iPad for the large tablet category this year in Consumer Reports. iPad beat Prime by a fraction. I'm not sure where you are looking it up, but, I read that a couple of months ago. Additionally, I don't need to look it up because I use my Prime, and, I know what it's capable of.

I agree with you on the performance of the Prime. My tablet is super fast and smooth. I personally like the direction that Google is going and Asus has done a great job on giving us updates. My one and only issue with the Prime is the Browser. There are times it just lags and won't load. I don't seem to have any other app issues. At times the Wifi sucks. Other than that, if you have and use the keyboard dock, the Prime is totally worth it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

frsimpson

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I have made the TP is that I desired to play in Google land and not itunes land. The Google Universe is not only larger, but its customizable. The iPad is very smooth and has great mture apps, but its small minded, with the Apple Police controling everything.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae