Exchanged the Prime for the Infinity.. My Comparison

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
So I exchanged the my Prime for the Infinity last Sunday. I had owned the Prime since late February. I loved the Prime but it has some annoying quirks that I could never solve. I have been using the Infinity for almost a week now. Here are my pros and cons on it compared to the Prime.

PROS
- Screen is sigficantly better on the Infinity. I know people have said that the higher resolution isn't noticable but it is noticable, particularly when viewing hi-res photos, videos, or websites with lots of content.

- Performance on the Infinity is definately a bit snappier than the Prime. There is no lag as compared to the Prime, apps launch quicker, and websites seem to process faster. I'm not sure if this because of better WiFi performance, the higher clocked Tegra 3, or the faster RAM. Integration with the dock also seems better, as I have had no problems with the cursor arrow showing up like I did on the Prime.

- WiFi is tremendously better on the Infinity. It's not even a comparison. I am seeing a much better experience in both web browsing and YouTube viewing. I am not sure if this because of a cleaner WiFi signal or hardware improvements. I haven't tried GPS yet.

- Build Quality seems to be the same, but the jury is out until I dock it many times to see if the metal flange around the docking port gets bent like on my Prime. I don't mind the plastic strip at the top of the back panel. The color is a perfect match for the aluminum. It's a good compromise to improve signal reception. The edges of the Infinity are a bit rounder, so I noticed it's more comfortable to hold in your hand without a case for long stretches than the Prime was.

CONS
- The headphone jack was moved to the lower left side. This makes it awkward to hold the tablet when playing first person or third person shooters like Shadowgun. The wire juts out precisley where your hand would normally be on the Prime. This is a clear design mistake given that there are countless other places where they could have put this jack! I may have too look into a headset plug that doesn't jut out, but I plan on buying one of those new Nyko tablet controllers.

- Some apps don't seem to play nice with the Infinity. I cannot share anything through FB yet because the app always crashes when I try. Many games that I installed fine from Google Play on my Prime show up as incompatible on the Infinity (i.e. Dead Space, Gangstar Rio). And even if they do show up, they won't download the extra game data (i.e. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit). It is not neesarily the faultof the Infiniy, but it is an annoyance that exists nonetheless. I can't figure out why either since the two share a very similar architecture.

- MicroSD slot is not much better on the Infinity. At least now the card does not stick out at all when inserted, minimizing the chance it will launch out and get lost like on the Prime. However, there is absolutley no feedback when inserting it and you don't even hear or feel a click. I was scared to push it in all they way because I thought it would fall into the Chassis like many Prime users experienced (not me). Fortunately, I only use it occasionally to back up and restore my apps and data.

Reactions: griff7774

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, thanks for posting this. I wish I was able to exchange mine, but, all in all, I'm happy with my Prime. Still patiently awaiting JB.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a bit of the issues are resolved. I wish I could change mine out but I won mine here at AC. I love the Prime and keyboard but it is not without issues. I find I use my Xoom way more in fact.

Hoping JB has some good benefits for the Prime.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
- MicroSD slot is not much better on the Infinity. At least now the card does not stick out at all when inserted, minimizing the chance it will launch out and get lost like on the Prime. However, there is absolutley no feedback when inserting it and you don't even hear or feel a click. I was scared to push it in all they way because I thought it would fall into the Chassis like many Prime users experienced (not me). Fortunately, I only use it occasionally to back up and restore my apps and data.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure that mine clicks when I insert it. It definitely still has the spring-loaded ejection mechanism, it's just that the mSD card is actually a tad recessed when fully installed so that you don't accidentally eject it. Are you sure that you're getting it in there all the way?

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Lol, you wish you could trade your free tablet for a better free tablet. :p

Lol well no, I really do like it. But I just think they have a major design flaw that was fixed with the Infinity. I don't think jelly bean will fix the issues either.

The tablet has some great features though and I still can't believe I won it. I've thought about selling it and buying the Infinity, my understanding is the Keyboard works with either. Most likely though I'm going to give it to my son and use my Xoom for the time being. The bad part about that is the screen is so much nicer on the Prime.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol, gotcha. I just couldn't resist making that joke.

Yea, coulda saved myself a nice chunk of change if I won one. But, it was worth the price. Oh, yea, the Prime screen is real nice. How old is your son?

ettexor

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, game installs but nothing gets downloaded. Also am trying to install Asphalt 6 and Asphalt 7 which don't even show up in Market place. I'm guessing this is what happens when you buy a new device, games need to be tested on it and approved on the device before it works or is made available for it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18