Android 4.1 - TF201 Official Update

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset and i still get connection failed when checking for updates. This sucks. Ive never had problems with updating in the past.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Would love to know if you notice and difference in the touch screen smoothness.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Most of the stalling is gone and it's much smoother switching between apps. Had a ton of apps open and it didn't get sluggish like it used to. Task switcher comes up a lot faster and is much smoother. Don't know if this is JB in action or just the factory reset. The TP had gotten noticeably slower and sluggish since got it in January.

It's a lot zipper swiping between screens, but I rarely went to another screen, so not a big deal for me.

I did notice my camera app is all green and full of lines and noise, both photo and video. I never take pictures with it so it's not killing me, but I assume it will get fixed with the inevitable post JB update.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I did notice my camera app is all green and full of lines and noise, both photo and video. I never take pictures with it so it's not killing me, but I assume it will get fixed with the inevitable post JB update.

I see I'm not the only one. I hope it gets fixed. The front camera works fine though.

c00l0ne

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
My ADWLauncher EX start doing weird stuff after the JB update, icons become tiny on other pages. But browser seems to run faster than before so that`s a plus.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Facebook is still broken. If I bring up a post from Notifications, I can reply. But I can't reply to a post in my News Feed. This is likely no different from before my factory reset.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I finally got the update this morning and I have to say, it is great! Love the changes made to the OS and how things work smoother now. Quite happy with JB on my Prime. :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Facebook is still broken. If I bring up a post from Notifications, I can reply. But I can't reply to a post in my News Feed. This is likely no different from before my factory reset.

Are you using facebook in your browser? Or the app?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The app. No issues with the browser.

Used the tablet for 9 hours until it hit zero. Gotta say, it's a lot faster and smoother with JB. Didn't notice the stalling I was experiencing beforehand. Really much better.

Hopefully, Pocket will have an update for the hanging and I hope Facebook gets fixed soon. The camera issue will need another update, but I don't use it so it's not a big deal for me.

All in all, the performance boost more than makes up for the hiccups.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The app. No issues with the browser.

Used the tablet for 9 hours until it hit zero. Gotta say, it's a lot faster and smoother with JB. Didn't notice the stalling I was experiencing beforehand. Really much better.

Hopefully, Pocket will have an update for the hanging and I hope Facebook gets fixed soon. The camera issue will need another update, but I don't use it so it's not a big deal for me.

All in all, the performance boost more than makes up for the hiccups.

Ok good to know I don't like the app much on my tablet so that explains it as I wasn't using the app.

I wish Facebook would get with it and make a better tablet app.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
They're working on a native Facebook app like iOS has, but they literally started a few weeks ago, so don't hold your breath.

givver

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
My ADWLauncher EX start doing weird stuff after the JB update, icons become tiny on other pages. But browser seems to run faster than before so that`s a plus.

Mine was doing the same thing except that the other home screen were partialy rotated. I think this was because I had the screen transition set to windmill but it did not work right. Setting it back to default fixed the problem but I still found ADW very slow and it crashed a lot.

I ended up switching to Nova Launcher, I like it much better than ADW and it is much faster and has not crashed yet. It has less desktop switching animations (only 2) but they do work.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I ended up switching to Nova Launcher, I like it much better than ADW and it is much faster and has not crashed yet. It has less desktop switching animations (only 2) but they do work.

I have been using Nova Launcher for probably six months, not a single crash. Best launcher I've used so far. Also, Nova Prime is only $0.25 in Play right now.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
A couple of months before the JB update came along, my Transformer Prime started getting very sluggish. There was a lot of lag and frequent hanging, and I had to cold shutdown a couple of times a week after the tablet completely froze up. I uninstalled a bunch of apps to free up internal storage, and while it seemed to get a little better after dumping a few GBs, that fix only lasted a few days before reverting back to sluggishness.

I installed the JB update knowing that I would lose Flash because I really wanted to speed things up. Unfortunately, there were only minor improvements. At times, apps would open almost instantaneously, and whenever that happened, I was impressed. However, this actually made the lagging feel worse, since the variance in responsiveness was now even wider.

I realized that the TP was initially quite fast and responsive out of the box and that the sluggish performance was a recent development that even JB could not fix. So I bit the bullet and performed a factory reset. After the reset was done, I ended up loading maybe half the apps I had previously, deciding to work on an “as needed” basis instead of trying to restore everything the way it used to be. The tablet was a lot faster, but I wasn’t sure if this was Jellybean or if this was the factory reset. I was trying to remember how fast it was when I first got it in January, but those details were hazy. Plus, it had just rebooted, so it wasn’t swamped with opened apps. I needed to have a couple of days to determine if JB itself had an effect on performance.

After using it for a couple of days, I think JB is making a significant difference with tablet performance. Apps do load faster, and the App List comes up a lot quicker and reacts much faster, even with 15-20 programs on the list. Before the JB update, I would hit the App LIst button and there was at least a 2 second delay before coming up. At times, it would glow blue, and then I would wait 5 Mississippi before anything happened.

The other significant improvement is that half the time, switching between screens is incredibly fast. The TP will pop between screens almost instantaneously. Unfortunately, I have had a couple of occasions when the Home Screen comes up blank and I have to wait a few seconds for the app shortcuts to populate. The number of times that happened has been reduced drastically, but it’s not perfect. And although it does switch very quickly half the time, the remainder of the experience is a one or two second lag between screens. However, when you take that all together, it’s still a big improvement in performance.

Note that a lot of people (including me) have a completely unusable camera after the reset. When I bring it up, the screen is all green with noise. Since I don't use the camera it doesn't really bother me, but YMMV.

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
... Unfortunately, I have had a couple of occasions when the Home Screen comes up blank and I have to wait a few seconds for the app shortcuts to populate.

Note that a lot of people (including me) have a completely unusable camera after the reset. When I bring it up, the screen is all green with noise. Since I don't use the camera it doesn't really bother me, but YMMV.

Luckily I've not had the camera issue, though I also do not use my camera frequently at all. Maybe for Skype at some point, but apparently the front camera isn't affected by this bug from what I've read.

In my case, the home screen does occasionally come up blank, and as with yours the shortcuts & widgets will *sometimes* come up on their own after a few seconds... other times I have to tap the screen or flick to the next screen etc. This never happened under ICS, so it does appear to be one intermittent bug with JB. I'm sure that'll get fixed if it doesn't work itself out.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The blank homescreen happened to me quite a lot on ICS. Anytime the tablet started getting sluggish, the homescreen would take a few seconds to populate.

Wanted to add that I disabled the lock screen in ICS because sometimes it would take a couple of seconds to unlock to the homescreen, and sometimes the homescreen was blank. Unlocking in JB is consistently instantaneous.

I also want to note that I never performed a factory reset after the ICS upgrade (my TP was running Honeycomb out of the box). So maybe two OS upgrades without a factory reset was asking for too much.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The blank homescreen happened to me quite a lot on ICS. Anytime the tablet started getting sluggish, the homescreen would take a few seconds to populate.

Wanted to add that I disabled the lock screen in ICS because sometimes it would take a couple of seconds to unlock to the homescreen, and sometimes the homescreen was blank. Unlocking in JB is consistently instantaneous.

I also want to note that I never performed a factory reset after the ICS upgrade (my TP was running Honeycomb out of the box). So maybe two OS upgrades without a factory reset was asking for too much.

Mine had honeycomb too so I am considering doing this on my Transformer Prime as well as my wife's TF101 which went to ics. It couldn't hurt.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I did the factory reset tonight. It looks and feels much better. I don't know if it's just because it cleaned up the system or not but the screen lag is gone. Much smoother. Give it a try. You can back everything up before. I just used the default Google backup. It worked pretty good.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Not sure when this happened to my camera, but, I am also having this issue. Thankfully I have no desire to use the rear camera on the Prime, so, I haven't really cared enough to reset or make an issue out of it. But, it is still annoying.

Luckily I've not had the camera issue, though I also do not use my camera frequently at all. Maybe for Skype at some point, but apparently the front camera isn't affected by this bug from what I've read.

The front facing camera works fine. I was in a Hangout a bit before the JB update and all was good. Have not checked it post JB, but, I'm assuming it's fine.