Android 4.1 - TF201 Official Update

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Update in Toronto, Also got a Keyboard Dock firmware update. It seam buttery smooth now.

I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed by this update. I expected the feel to be smoother. I am not really noticing much of a difference from ICS in terms of screen touch and feel. It still doesn't rival the ipad in terms of touch screen smoothness. Someone mentioned it taking a bit for everything to load which seemed odd. But over all I expected more butter. Lol.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

dpwaters72

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyone else having constant reboot issues while using the keyboard dock? I was chatting on Google Talk this morning and experienced at least 5 different resets. Seems to be okay now that it is un-docked from the keyboard.

Note: My Prime was updated yesterday evening and I have rebooted it several time prior to this morning.

Definitely having a keyboard dock issue. I just connected to the dock after playing with it for about an hour un-docked w/o any crashes. Result: Instant crash when I unlocked the screen.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I kinda doubt it, I'm sure we'll get cyanogenmod, but the prime will be kinda old (much how the tf101 isn't getting jelly bean (are they? It's not announced but Asus)). I think the infinity will though (and maybe the tf300)

Edit: yup, its smoother, but still laggier than I would like.

Not with an attitude like that anyway. :p I dunno, it hasn't been 10 months yet and the Prime has received two major updates. It could happen, I'm not saying it will, just saying the pace is the type of pace where it could.

I have only had one instance of noticeable lag, and, it was possible that it was also a network issue. Other than that, running quite smooth here.

Devinator, let me clarify. Yesterday, it told me there was a firmware update available. I tried running the update, it rebooted, and then told me the update failed. Attempts to try and get the update again have also failed, based on my messages above. This morning, I went to the System Firmware Update setting, and it continues to say there is no update available. So I guess I am S.O.L. unless I return to stock. But it sounds like some people tried to do that from rooted Primes and are unable to get the update again. As for other ROMs, I have read about some of them, but I am not sure what the best ones are.

Right, but, you never said you followed the DMClient instructions exactly. They are specific, and, I wouldn't rule it out as being something that could work until you follow it exactly. In the past, I had my Prime telling me there were no updates, when, I knew there were in fact updates, and, Stopping the DMClient, clearing it's data/cache, then rebooting, fixed the problem. Might not for this, but, those were the specific instructions to follow.

Is there anyone else having constant reboot issues while using the keyboard dock? I was chatting on Google Talk this morning and experienced at least 5 different resets. Seems to be okay now that it is un-docked from the keyboard.

Note: My Prime was updated yesterday evening and I have rebooted it several time prior to this morning.

Nope, no issues here with dock. And I am a frequent Talk user.

I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed by this update. I expected the feel to be smoother. I am not really noticing much of a difference from ICS in terms of screen touch and feel. It still doesn't rival the ipad in terms of touch screen smoothness. Someone mentioned it taking a bit for everything to load which seemed odd. But over all I expected more butter. Lol.

I'm definitely seeing a difference. However, it's been a very long time since I've used an iPad, so, I can't really comment on that comparison. Do you mean a bit for everything to load initially on boot? Or, every time you do something like open an app it takes time to load. My Prime takes a bit to load up initially, but, after that, everything pops up almost immediately.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My DMClient keeps failing, even after I restart. I've cleared cache, what about data..?

In the past I have force stopped it, cleared data/cache, no problems. Will it cause you a problem if you do that? Maybe, but, like I said, I have done it in the past and had no problems.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Did this update really come with project butter? Cause I'm still getting some stutter on the homescreen transitions. Eek. :-\ Just doesn't feel quite as "butter smooth" as my Gnex.
Anybody else?
It quite odd. Half of the time, it feels somewhat faster. A quarter of the time, it's so much faster it feels practically instantaneous. A quarter of the time, it hangs and stalls just like it used to do.

So the hangs and pauses are still there, maybe less frequent and maybe not as long a hang or pause. But these issues haven't gone away.

Sometimes it moves like lightning with one app, and then when I go back to it, the speed is no longer there. So this new found speed is not consistent.

Not really seeing buttery smoothness. If anything, there's an even bigger gap between slow and fast on the tablet.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely seeing a difference. However, it's been a very long time since I've used an iPad, so, I can't really comment on that comparison. Do you mean a bit for everything to load initially on boot? Or, every time you do something like open an app it takes time to load. My Prime takes a bit to load up initially, but, after that, everything pops up almost immediately.

They mentioned more that the update took a bit to settle. The apps and responsiveness in loading apps is fine and seems faster. Just the screen movement and general feel would not be what I would call butter. If I scroll through screens it sort of moves in a staggering fashion a bit. Nothing horrible it's just not what I was hoping for.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Curious to know if most of you use the stock launcher or something else like Nova? I'm using Nova and so far I'm pretty happy about the update although I haven't played with the tablet much. I didn't notice any keyboard issues but the Asus weather widget won't load for me any longer so I reverted back to HD Widgets for my weather needs. Does the stock launcher appear similar to the Nexus 7 launcher? Nova looks the same.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Curious to know if most of you use the stock launcher or something else like Nova? I'm using Nova and so far I'm pretty happy about the update although I haven't played with the tablet much. I didn't notice any keyboard issues but the Asus weather widget won't load for me any longer so I reverted back to HD Widgets for my weather needs. Does the stock launcher appear similar to the Nexus 7 launcher? Nova looks the same.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!

I'm using stock. No issues for me so far. Keyboard seems fine, but I did receive an update after I plugged it in. Check for that. The only other thing I noticed is that my tablet is vibrating when someone post to my Facebook wall. Random.

dpwaters72

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm using stock. No issues for me so far. Keyboard seems fine, but I did receive an update after I plugged it in. Check for that. The only other thing I noticed is that my tablet is vibrating when someone post to my Facebook wall. Random.

What version is your keyboard firmware? I am running TF201-DOCK-0207

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dpwaters72

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't post comments on Facebook because the keyboard won't come up. Anyone else having this issue? Using SwiftKey.

I thought that I read something from Asus stating the the JB update for the Infinity (that was scheduled for yesterday) was pulled due to an issue with the keyboard and Facebook.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I bit the bullet and ran the factory reset. I'll see how it goes from there.

I just got a random restart. I had just gone to FB and could post fine. I put the tablet down and it restarted. I have an sd card in the keyboard. Pulled it out for now will see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463