Strange Reboot Issue

Rhaen

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I'm having a strange issue with my Transformer Prime while it is in the Keyboard Dock. It seems as though whenever I have anything plugged into the USB port on the Dock and I let the tablet go to sleep on its own, the tablet locks up and eventually reboots itself. If I press the lock button on the Dock to force it to sleep, it doesn?t have this issue and performs normally. I have tried a Factory Reset and the problem persists. I can?t pin point the exact time this started but I feel as though it started after I un-installed DicePlayer and installed an older version of it for DTS Playback. That didn?t work and I re-installed the newest version but it seems like this problem cropped up in the process. I don?t feel as though these reboots could be because of the older version of DicePlayer, though, because a Factory Reset didn?t resolve the issue (resetting all software). I believe this may be some hardware issue and I?m hoping that maybe there is a fix for it. Is this a known issue or can anyone replicate? Is this caused by the JB update and I just didn?t notice it until now?

Thank you so much for your time.

-Rhaen-

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Users have reported the reboot issue with an SD inserted into the keyboard. What are you plugging in the port? Does it do it with anything (mouse, USB stick, etc)?

Rhaen

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Users have reported the reboot issue with an SD inserted into the keyboard. What are you plugging in the port? Does it do it with anything (mouse, USB stick, etc)?

Kevin: I have tried it with a USB Thumb Drive and a USB Wireless Mouse and both have rebooted the tablet. It didn't do it immediately with the mouse and took a couple Let Sleep/Wake cycles before it rebooted, so I think that that will need some more testing when I get home to ensure that it wasn't a fluke but the USB Thumb Drive does it every time I let it go to sleep on its own. I might try an SD card if I can get my hands on one here at work. Do you know if the reported issues affect the microSD card slot as well or is it only the full size SD card slot on the Dock?

Thank you so much for your quick response.

-Rhaen-

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it only happens with the ports on the dock. I have a microSD card sitting in my Prime and haven't had any issues with it.

Rhaen

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it only happens with the ports on the dock. I have a microSD card sitting in my Prime and haven't had any issues with it.

Thanks Kevin. I wanted to confirm that this rebooting problem occurs for me when anything is plugged into the dock. I tried it with an SD card in and let it go to sleep on its own and it rebooted. I left my thumb drive in and the same thing happened. I tried my wired mouse and the same reboot happened. It seems like the tablet is sleep rebooting when anything is plugged into the dock at all. Wonder if ASUS is going to release a fix soon...

-Rhaen-

tony1ant

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi All
I am also having this reboot problem ever since the device updated to Jelly Bean.
It's highly irritating. I have 32GB micro SD , 32GB SD card and 32GB USB micro Memory stick . I
I never had any reboot problems before Jelly Bean.
I hope someone comes up a fix real soon.
Thanks in advance.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately that fix will have to come from Asus. There isn't much we as end users can do. However, Asus is generally pretty speedy with updates, we shouldn't have to wait too long.

frsimpson

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I too am this same issue. When every something is plugged into the keyboard, the TF201 will reboot in a very slow cycle. This is a JB upgrade issue.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I just did a factory reset due to my battery meter wasn't showing full charge after an overnight charge. Previously, I had GoLauncher installed and didn't notice it as much, but now that I'm running the stock launcher, I'm noticing the reboot issue more frequently. Hopefully people are letting Asus know they are experiencing this issue so they can be working on a patch!

FYI, the only thing I've ever had installed on my dock was a logitech wireless mini mouse.

Sent from my Asus Transformer Prime on Android Central Forums

Rhaen

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I just thought I would update everyone with the response I received from ASUS Technical Support on this issue. The first quote is what I sent to them and the second quote is their response. I hope everyone puts in a claim so that this issue can be resolved quickly.

My Problem Description
After the 4.1.1 Jellybean update, the tablet will reboot itself if A.) the tablet is docked in
the TF201 Mobile Dock, B.) there is anything plugged into one of the docks ports (SD
card, USB thumb drive, USB mouse, etc.), AND C.) the tablet is allowed to go to sleep
on its own (after the user specified Sleep timeout). All of the above conditions must be
present to create the issue but it happens instantly and every time if the conditions
exist.

Are there any steps to resolve this issue currently, and if so, what is the ETA on the fix?

Thank you very much for your time.

ASUS' Response
Dear valued customer
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service

Hi,it seems that the problem is with the latest version,would you mind performing wipe data to see whether it has been improved.And we will try our best to fix the problem you met with in the next fota.Please back up all of your
personal information before proceeding.
1. Press and hold down ?power button? until the system shuts down.
2. Remove the SD card from Eee Pad.
3. Press and hold down ?Volume down? button first, and then press and hold down the ?Power? button until the screen below appears.
4. Do not press any buttons until the screen below appears.
5. There?s a line ?Press to execute, to cancel wiping data. Press Volume Up button to execute the ?Wipe Data?.
6. After the ?Wipe Data? process is done, it will reboot automatically. Then Eee Pad should be able to enter the system successfully. If the actions above still do no help,I then suggest you to RMA it to have it repaired.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-
If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Wish you a nice day!

Rhaen

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
@Rhaen

Should we execute these steps on our Prime?
If it does not help we need to have it repaired? So this means no software bug?

No, you shouldn't follow the above steps to try and fix this problem. It doesn't work no matter what. Also, you shouldn't try and send it in for maintenance because this is indeed a software problem.

On a sidenote: I did just receive a notification of a new software update for my Prime. I will post back and let everyone know if the update fixes this bug.

extreme8eight

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No, you shouldn't follow the above steps to try and fix this problem. It doesn't work no matter what. Also, you shouldn't try and send it in for maintenance because this is indeed a software problem.

On a sidenote: I did just receive a notification of a new software update for my Prime. I will post back and let everyone know if the update fixes this bug.

Ok thanks! Will wait for your update!