GPS dongle still shipping?

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has had success requesting the GPS dongle in the last few months. I am aware that the offer technically ended back in August(?) Or so, but the ASUS VIP site still takes requests for them and I applied shortly after the program ended.

Curious if I might still get the dongle, though there's been no update on the status to date. Would be nice, but might be selling mine soon anyway in favour of the Nexus 7.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, it can't hurt to sign up for it. And, you could always try giving Asus a call and seeing if you can still get one. They must still have some somewhere. But, if the offer ended in August, it might just be better to talk to a CSR about this, rather than counting on the website.

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Still no update on my GPS dongle request, the site still simply says the request has been received.

I sent an email to both Asus tech support and their feedback page to see what, if anything, they will offer. I have my doubts that they'll do anything to resolve the GPS situation, but am trying to be optimistic that they will pull through and surprise me.

That said, I've since purchased a Nexus 7 32GB, and have been almost exclusively using it -- the poor TF201 is sitting on my table collecting dust. I'm kind of wishing I'd known the TF700 would be released so soon after it -- at least I'd have working GPS, and an added bonus of an HD screen for movie viewing & gaming. Ah well, such is the life of a tech-head. :p

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You'd still probably be better off just calling them, then you could talk to someone about it right away.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Customer service for most companies (except HP) often bends over backward for the customer, even when they don't have to (at least that's my experience)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Customer service for most companies (except HP) often bends over backward for the customer, even when they don't have to (at least that's my experience)

It depends on how you handle the situation. If you are courteous and professional and treat the CSR like a person, they are more likely to help you out. Catch more flies with honey...

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you definitely get respect when you're respectful. I think it's because they're so used to dealings with rude and ungrateful people who have PICNIC errors and than yell at CSRs about it. When someone is actually polite and friendly, they're pleasantly surprised and eager to help.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Weird cause now I can't delete posts. Post and than see if you can delete it.

Both phone and desktop. Gonna file a bug report.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Weird cause now I can't delete posts. Post and than see if you can delete it.

Both phone and desktop. Gonna file a bug report.

When I go into Edit, at the top it says I can delete. I didn't try and delete it, but, it's there. Do you see the option at all?

TekNinja81

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Man I'm terrible at following up on my own posts. lol.

Asus tech/customer service responded to my emails. Unfortunately, both simply stated that the "offer" has expired and they are no longer providing the GPS dongles to customers.

One of them did mention to try calling their 24/7 service line, which I will be trying. Failing that, I'm either going to be selling my TF201 or possibly attempt returning to FutureShop, though after checking in with them, they don't seem to be aware of the return program that BestBuy in the USA (and apparently some Canadian FutureShop stores) is running.

The overall performance from the N7 is amazing, it's a shame Asus/Google haven't been able to bring the Prime up to that level. Even moreso that they were only willing to offer a temporary/band-aid solution to what I personally feel should have been cause for a product recall. Oh well. Not my first Asus product, won't be my last, just hoping to have a bit more positive of an experience with future ones. :)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you write a letter to Asus. I had my 360 RRoD well after the warranty expired. I got an E74 which is a graphics issue. They knew about the issue, and, extended everyone's warranty for three years. I was about six months after the three years, and, I was VERY pissed. Sent them about a 1.5 page letter, and, a CSR called in a panic to try and keep my business in the future. It was a rather... persuasive letter, if I do say so myself, lol. They may be willing to get you a dongle, or, do something else for you. It's worth a shot. Worst case you wasted a little bit of time. Just throwing that out there.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I think mine is still in its packaging. I use the NAV in my car when I'm out, but I ordered it for the "just in case" times.