4.2 Keyboards

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey there to all

Just wondering if there is any way to get the new 4.2 Keyboad that was posted on Droid Life yesterday, installed on the prime? Not rooted. 100% stock for me.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried getting the APK from multiple sources, just to make sure it wasn't something wrong with the APK?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
That link says you need to be rooted and have a custom recovery. You're meant to flash those zips through recovery. If you don't know what root is, than you don't have it. Rooting voids you warranty, and if you're stupid/run the root procedure wrong/ flash something not meant for your device, you will have done a magic trick: turning your fully working, beautiful tablet into a large, thin, shiny paperweight. It isn't for the faint of heart. Head over to Jerry's stickied FAQ in the hacking forum to learn more.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
+1, but unlocking your bootloader will void your warranty and you cannot undo this.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know if they'd check if you had it unrooted. All I know is I talked to a guy at Verizon when I was getting service done once, and, asked him flat out if they'd know if you unrooted your phone, he said, probably not. The guy seemed like he was being candid with me throughout our conversation. It's a risk you take if you want to root, ya know?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
But you can generally unroot.
I was honestly trying to scare him a little. Better to be a little wary I think. With all of the nicely labeled tools in the Optimus S forums, we often had people root and than install ROM Mangler (which on this Optimus causes a perma-brick) and than come writing a new thread saying "Help me Please". I'd rather turn members away from rooting than encourage them to do it, because IMO it's not something you do for the fun of it, and only if there is something you actually really want to do that requires root. If you want it that badly, you'll overcome my caution and make a well-informed decision to unlock/root. However, you have to use Asus's bootloader unlock tool, which sends your Serial Number back to Asus, so they won't necessarily repair it. I've heard stories of it being repaired despite having an unlocked bootloader, but I wouldn't chance it. Wait till your year warrenty is up, than root and unlock away.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
because IMO it's not something you do for the fun of it

I rooted my GTAB7 for the fun of it, lol. It was my first time rooting, and, figured I'd do it on the device I care least about. But, I do agree. If you have no reason to root a device, leave it stock. My Prime and X2 are stock. I can't ever see myself rooting my Prime but, the X2 could use it, that's for sure.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the day my Optimus's warrenty was up, I headed over to the Rooting Roms and Hacks subforum, but my evo and tfp are both stock still. I rooted the optimus out of necessity; Stock unrooted has more bloatware than the prime, and the Optimus has only 120 mb of internal storage! (Yes, you read that right). The Gingerbread update broke a lot of stuff, so I had to do something about that.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the day my Optimus's warrenty was up

I have TEC with Verizon, which is the only reason I haven't jumped to rooting my X2. If I didn't have it, I would have gone for it the day the warranty was up. I'm on my third X2, so, it's definitely served me well. I want to cancel it and give it a go, but, I have been hesitating a bit because I know the day I do, it'll break, lol. And, I don't have an upgrade until February first.

the Optimus has only 120 mb of internal storage! (Yes, you read that right).

Geez, that is brutal, lol.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have TEC with Verizon, which is the only reason I haven't jumped to rooting my X2. If I didn't have it, I would have gone for it the day the warranty was up. I'm on my third X2, so, it's definitely served me well. I want to cancel it and give it a go, but, I have been hesitating a bit because I know the day I do, it'll break, lol. And, I don't have an upgrade until February first.

Agreed with rooting phones and then breaking I think that will, always be a concern I guess the only way it wouldn't be a concern is if you could afford to replace it should it break..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Agreed with rooting phones and then breaking I think that will, always be a concern I guess the only way it wouldn't be a concern is if you could afford to replace it should it break..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I'm definitely concerned with bricking it, since I couldn't find a great guide for the phone, and it's a Motorola, but, that's not what I meant. I meant the minute I cancel my TEC, I'll drop it in a pool or something, lol.

Also, what're you doing in here NiN? You don't even have a Prime. :p

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Unless you plan on buying another moto (hard to hack) or the gsIII (which for VZW has a locked bootloader, which is also hard to hack) You might want to get the HTC Droid DNA that is rumored to be coming out in the next months. This thing is gonna be a monster, similar to The HTC J Butterfly released in Japan

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless you plan on buying another moto (hard to hack) or the gsIII (which for VZW has a locked bootloader, which is also hard to hack) You might want to get the HTC Droid DNA that is rumored to be coming out in the next months. This thing is gonna be a monster, similar to The HTC J Butterfly released in Japan

I do not plan to get another Moto phone, partially for that reason. I have my eye on the Note 2 for my next phone when that time comes around. I don't necessarily care about rooting, so long as the device runs good out of the box.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Lolol. While it's definitely big, I don't think it's too big. I slipped my GTAB7 in my pocket the other day, and, that was definitely too big. But, I think the Note 2 would be a good size. I'll of course do research and mess with one before I buy.