Stuck pixels-- common or..?

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a Transformer last week from OD (got lucky and found a store willing to match the Staples coupon)... I generally love it but have noticed a few stuck pixels that have me a bit worried. Now keep in mind I have about the worst stuck pixel luck ever, everything I buy seems to have noticable ones right out of the box, but the Transformer's are a bit different...

The day I got it I found one, fairly noticeable, but in the middle along the long end, very close to the edge. It's normally in the area of the toolbar/whatever it's called in Honeycomb and I figured I'd just live with it since it's not obvious.

I've checked on and off in the last week and it seems like I see more every time I REALLY look for them. If I am in a dark room and turn the brightness up, I can spot at least 10 stuck pixels; most along edges but a few right in the middle. (there's like 2 green ones and 1 red one) I am not sure if those were all there day 1 or if the panel is developing them.

I looked in the manual and the dead/stuck pixel policy makes it sound like the panel SHOULD be replaced by the #, but it also mentions that the "inspection room" needs to have a certain amount of lighting and that the pixels must be viewable at 30cm. Who holds their tablet 3 meters away from them!?

So I am torn-- I'm worried it's developing stuck pixels, but on the other hand it's only noticable in fairly extreme conditions. In day to day use I almost never spot them. But I'm not totally sure if the pixels are all there and just hard to see or getting worse. But Asus' policy seems pretty over the top in regards to replacing panels and it'd be easier to hope that I could get a replacement through OD. Given the IPS screen is the biggest reason I picked the Transformer it's a bit frustrating that it's got these issues.

I've also read lots of weird build quality glitches and except for the pixels, my Transformer seems solid-- no issues with the speakers, creaking, case issues, etc...

Anyone have experience with this? (I've read lots of people with numerous stuck pixels on various forums and lots claiming they have none; not sure people who have none have looked really close in a dark room with brightness up or not) I'm just not sure if I'm risking trading an iffy-- but grudgingly acceptable-- panel for a Transformer with bigger issues.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I've had this Transformer 1 1/2 days, and I don't see any dead pixels using the default brightness. It sounds like you are going out of your way to find them - you say you don't notice the problem during normal use. So, it's hard to understand what you're trying to accomplish.

I'll say this - I've purchased laptops that had dead pixels right out of the box, and I returned them immediately. I would have returned this too, if I had dead pixels. If you have a chance to return yours, why not go for it?

You definitely need this shirt, bud:
ThinkGeek :: I see dead pixels.

Let us know how it goes.

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm mostly concerned that there are 1 or 2 in fairly obvious places that are most visible, but I'm concerned that it's "growing" more stuck pixels or if I am just looking more closely and finding more. I'm just curious if a few are the norm on the Transformer and if anyone has experience with Asus' warranty policies-- if I knew I could get this repaired under warranty if it gets worse (and more visible), I'd feel better, but I'm concerned their policy makes it nearly impossible to have ANY pixels that'll be exchanged under their warranty. (the 3m viewing distance and minimum room brightness)

But yes, I do see them and they tend to drive me nuts. The Transformer isn't horrible right now. I just don't want this to be a bad panel that eventually (i.e., after my 14 day return policy) gets a really bad issue that Asus may or may not do anything with. Just trying to see what others have experienced.

Runnin_it

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Try pixelfixer in the market...

Guess I could say a bit more. I used it to unstick a stuck black pixel on my EVO 3D.

Last edited: