How often do you use the keyboard dock?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about a tablet for my wife for Christmas. I am waiting to see the latest crop of new devices before I pull the trigger, but if I had to make a decision I would lean awfully hard toward the Transformer due to its versatility.

However, one question I have is whether the extra money for the keyboard dock is worth it. How often do you guys actually use it? I could envision coughing up the extra money and then never using it.

Thanks,

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
In truth, I rarely use it. It mostly sits in the desk.

When travelling it is both a blessing and a curse. The added batt time is great, and the added functinality (plugging a CF card reader *and* a USB HDD in to transfer camera pictures straight across) is great. But when you want to use the tablet by itself the keyboard is somewhat bulky to deal with (what with the pivoting attachment hinge part sticking out.)

On business flights across the Atlantic, the laptop form factor and endless battery life make it worth the price of admission, if it wasn't for that, I think I would be fine getting one of the tablets with a full sized USB host port instead.

That $300 Toshiba Thrive looks like a great deal right now, if you don't want to wait for 4 cores.

-Suntan

ramurphyjr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I love the dock for my TF. I use it every day. Of course, Newegg's deal(last month) for the free keyboard dock makes it even sweeter.

tempedan

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The keyboard is an absolute necessity for the extra battery life and if you do lots of typing or are a speed typist or road warrior. I do 120 wpm and find on-screen keyboards ridiculous to attempt using for a lot of typing. I also like having the USB ports that are part of keyboard as well as the SDHC slot. Combined with the Micro-SDHC and other ports on the tablet itself you end up with unlimited storage capabilities. I mainly use the keyboard when I'm in netbook mode rather than reading, browsing, gaming.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, what a generous present. I'd be thrilled to get one for xmas!

I always use the dock. Best of both worlds; touch for navigation and keyboard for typing. The keyboard is a really good one too as opposed to a netbook's keyboard. Additional plus is when you close the lid it protects the display.

The only time I'm tempted to disconnect is when an app doesn't adjust for a lefty and insists that I keep the keyboard on the left when in portrait mode. It can be a tad hard reaching across the keyboard to get to the screen.

You could always buy the keyboard later, birthday, etc.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I use the dock and the keyboard every day. If it didn't exist, we probably wouldn't have a tablet at all. We occasionally use the tablet separately for brief periods, but 99% of the time, it's attached.

Atomicvoice

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I also got my tablet and dock in the newegg deal. I use the dock 90% of the time. I find the only time I dont use the dock is when I play a game where I want to hold the tablet. Its makes for a great stand when your sitting on the couch. Dont have to hold it up all the time. Was using a ipad 2 before this and it was a pain holding that thing up all the time.....I think it was bc its to thin and hard to hold. Have big hands. Find the transformer easyer to hold when not on the dock to.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I am running about 50/50. I like the keyboard for volume typing but the tablet alone is great for news reading and general surfing. The extra battery of the keyboard is great, especially the fact that when connected, the keyboard battery is used first so the tablet battery stays @ 100% till the dock is dead. Overall very happy with the dock.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i use it daily. the transformer has replaced my netbook. ill usually leave the dock at home (unless i know i will need it), but once i get home, it usually gets snapped right back in. if you do plan to do a lot of typing on the device, its almost essential; as well as apps like thumb keyboard are, i just cant type quickly and accurately on a soft keyboard on a 10 inch screen. and as others have mentioned, the extra battery life is a nice plus

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Now that the latest update allows the tablet to deep sleep again while docked, I'll go back to using the dock about 90% of the time. It's the primary reason to own the transformer IMO.

rykatemom

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am another that uses the dock 90% of the time. I love the extra battery life. I'm a student, working on my research thesis for my degree, and have discovered that I use my Transformer for just about everything- in fact, it's nearly replaced my Windows computer. The only think I tend to use that for is final editing (professors are particular about margins and spacing) and printing, as Asus and Google haven't implemented a solid printing option yet (though I firmly expect it's coming down the pipeline). Overall, I HIGHLY recommend the Asus with the dock if you're going to be doing any significant typing. I undock and use the tablet solo when I'm reading, gaming, or just lazing about and don't plan to be doing much typing. This thing is amazing, however, and I'm firmly an Asus convert- I've "sold" three more of these to friends at school!

~ Kelly ~

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe!" -Albert Einstein

- Sent from my Transformer TF101 via Tapatalk

Hbomber110

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If you ask me, you need to ask me how often i use the tablet alone !

The dock makes a good stand (Great when i use my usb controller for games)
Keeps the glass out of scratch hazards
Its a keyboard and it has a trackpad with multi-touch, keeps your screen clean
Extend battery life
I hate virtual keyboards

Im not buying any true tablet without this kind of setup.