Different Battery Problem - HELP

leenmarc

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
OK - I am very educated on Battery Problems. Here is my question/problem. I use the Airplane Mode (the one by DON) and I have the dual battery widget.

I get only a 1% drop all night when there is a charge in the dock above say 7%. If the dock is 3% or less, and the Pad is at 100%, then the drain becomes rapid. Almost as if the dock is trying to gain power from the Pad. I put it to sleep - auto airplane mode, use Astro Files to kill all apps/services, etc..., and the drain can be 30% overnight when docked. When it is NOT docked - the drain returns to normal. Has anyone solved how to keep it docked, have the dock be not charged, and have the battery life not deplete rapidly in sleep mode?

Hope that makes sense!

leeshor

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you're doing your dock battery any favors letting it get that low. For maximum charge cycles you should plan to charge it when it gets to around 30%-40%

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Having the battery below 15% makes me think "I am very educated on Battery Problems" is because u don't know how to maintain lithium batteries and have problems alot. I am not going to school u on how to maintain lithium batteries but I will let u in on a major difference between old rechargeable batteries and new lithium batteries.

A lithium battery drained 90% and recharged fully every cycle will have 1/5 the recharge cycles of a lithium battery drained 50% and recharged.

Lithium polymer batteries cannot be deep discharged. Once they are deep-discharged, they can be damaged and cannot be charged to their normal capacity. Even while discharging, care has to be taken to discharge the pack evenly. - likely why the dock is trying to save its own life leeching form the tab.

FYI - Deep discharged is not when the device reads 0% but when it is left that way for long periods of time. Most devices with lithium batteries are safe guarded from being fully discharged by turning off before becoming fully discharged.

Last edited:

leenmarc

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you are misunderstanding a bit. I know that i have to not let it go to zero...but I wanted to see how the unit reacted to having the dock at 0 and if when it went to sleep, if it REALLY went to sleep or whether there was a trickle charge going the wrong way (it was built to have the dock charge the pad). It does try and charge while asleep - and therefore, the chipset in it does not address all the issues when the dock is zero. I have been setting this up to travel with it - and if you travel long distances, for a FULL day, sometimes, IMO, it is best to keep the dock on it for protection and ease of transport, but I wanted to be assured of having the battery last while doing this.

So I will re-ask - other than shutting the thing down, or detaching the unit - when the dock is close to zero - does anyone have a solution.

leenmarc

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
One more thing - by the 'very educated' comment what I meant was on the original battery issues and the answers already given in other threads (ie; B50, B60 KAS issues, testing when to go to sleep, getting the auto airplane DON, getting the dual widget, etc...).

So please consider at times that the writer of a thread isn't having problems a lot based on perhaps reading into something more than what was intended.

Lastly - if you were traveling - and since you say there is a 1/3 chance of never taking a charge again - what would you do over the course of a 20 hour day and no charges available? Why would you say there are no warnings if while in dock to disconnect if the battery would fail 1/3 of the time from that time forward? Just curious.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry the 33.3% was a miss quote and was a simplified statement. I have corrected the post to reflect a more detailed point.

If I was u I would invest in a small portable battery pack made for charging mobile devices. The simple fact is lithium batteries like to be in use all the time either charging or discharging not left static at 0% or 100%. The TF is made to be used alot but to also get spot charged when ever possible. I have an inverter in my car for this very reason. It is a simple 200W cigarette lighter type but I can plug any home charger into it.

For long term storage it is suggested for them to be at 50% charge.

Last edited:

Advantageinv

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed yet but another thing that taxes the battery is when you have the tab setup to stay awake while charging (Applications>Development)
I was experiencing abnormally fast discharging. I unchecked the above mentioned box and it solved the discharge issues I was having while docked.

leenmarc

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen that discussed - but good point....mine is not checked, i just think the trickle charge back to the dock is steady because it isn't truly asleep when docked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781