Transformer 16GB for $299 at Best Buy is bait & switch

ramurphyjr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Let's see... The best buy website lists the tablet for $299. It is not available for shipping. In store pickup only. There are no units available near any zip code I plug in for the state of Florida. I went to my local best buy today in town they have plenty in stock for 399 dollars. The salesman told me there's a difference between the A1 and x1 unit. He said there is a different sensor in the x 1 unit. It has the same exact specs as the A1 unit. The bottom line is the website is advertising the Transformer for 299 dollars and if you go into the store they're going charge you $399 for a device with the same name and specs.

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, I ordered it online two days ago at $299. Hasn't shipped yet to my home but the order is confirmed.

(The link I used was from Tech Bargains...not sure if that makes any difference.)

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad you can't bring in the online ad and make them match it.

However you could bring in a gamestop ad and make them match it to the $299 one there.

mjsavage

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Got mine and got the shipping notification yesterday as well. It should deliver on Tuesday. The only differnce I noticed is that it is brown. Not sure what on it is brown not to worried ordered a case from Amazon so it will be covered anyway.

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Bought Transformer from BB for $399 two days before sale started. When purchased, I asked specifically, if the price dropped would I be eligible for price adjustment. Was told "No Problem, just bring in the receipt". Price dropped; I took in receipt. Was told not eligible for price adjustment because the $299 sales item is different model (TF101-X1) than the one I purchased for $399. They were firm, and inflexable. I proceeded to buy the $299 sales unit (supposedly TF101-X1). Told them I would just return the $399 unit after transfering data to the new unit. Got home, checked out the model number on the box. It is not a TF101-X1; it is, in fact a TF101-A1, which is exactly the same as the $399 model we purchased prior to the sale. (The color is exactly the same.)

Based on my experience, I do not believe there is an X1 model; instead, I think this is just a model number used in advertising, to stop and/or discourage customers who paid full price from coming back for a cost adjustment when products go on sale shortly after they purchase them at full price.

Personally I think this practice is unethical. If anyone has ever seen an X1 model please let me know.

Cbill

Last edited:

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the whole black friday thing and got a TF 101-X1...got it home and making a long story short had numerous issues with it, defective charger, no Bluetooth and no WiFi!
After a week of Hard reboots, Factory resets, forum searches, phone calls to Best Buy and Asus I was able to come to several conclusions...
1. My TF 101-X1 was firmware unfixable and was hardware defective
2, Best Buy would not exchange it, only return for refund, even though they had TF101-A1s in stock (initially)
3. Asus tech support was very helpful and would have RMAed it!
4. The TF 101-X1 is different hardware then the TF 101-A1!!! This was confirmed by ASUS Tech support!
5. Persistence pays off! After being turned down several times and thinking I would have to send it off to Asus, a final call to Best Buy corperate customer support came through with an apology and a replacement TF 101-A1

At this point I am VERY happy with my TF

Note: I was told by Asus CS the X-1 has a different spec screen, memory, and processor...don't yell at the messenger, just repeating what Asus tech told me!

Cheers

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
JOK: How did you verify that the tablet you got was an X-1? Did it say X-1 on the box?

Just curious!

Cbill

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Rick:

The only place I know of where the the suffix numbers(i.e. A-1, B-1, X-1?) are shown are on the box label. No such info is on the exterior of the tablets or in the "About Tablet" information found in the "Settings" app.

The only description , both on the exterior of theTransporter tablets I have (3), and under "settings" is TF 101.

My box labels show I have two TF101 A-1s and one TF101B-1. The sales slip for my $299 sale priced unit shows the model as "Sample N\A". My previously purchased unit ($399) model is described asTF101 A-1. The unit I received and described on the sales slip as "Sample N\A" was, in fact, a B-1. If this info is anything but confusing to you, you are a better man than I.

Cbill

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I did the whole black friday thing and got a TF 101-X1...got it home and making a long story short had numerous issues with it, defective charger, no Bluetooth and no WiFi!
After a week of Hard reboots, Factory resets, forum searches, phone calls to Best Buy and Asus I was able to come to several conclusions...
1. My TF 101-X1 was firmware unfixable and was hardware defective
2, Best Buy would not exchange it, only return for refund, even though they had TF101-A1s in stock (initially)
3. Asus tech support was very helpful and would have RMAed it!
4. The TF 101-X1 is different hardware then the TF 101-A1!!! This was confirmed by ASUS Tech support!
5. Persistence pays off! After being turned down several times and thinking I would have to send it off to Asus, a final call to Best Buy corperate customer support came through with an apology and a replacement TF 101-A1

At this point I am VERY happy with my TF

Note: I was told by Asus CS the X-1 has a different spec screen, memory, and processor...don't yell at the messenger, just repeating what Asus tech told me!

Cheers

I read somewhere online in a Q&A where ASUS answered there were no differences between the two. There is also someone in one of the other threads that has taken a few apart and confirms no differences. Just an fyi

kd5dmg

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Rick:

The only place I know of where the the suffix numbers(i.e. A-1, B-1, X-1?) are shown are on the box label. No such info is on the exterior of the tablets or in the "About Tablet" information found in the "Settings" app.

The only description , both on the exterior of theTransporter tablets I have (3), and under "settings" is TF 101.

My box labels show I have two TF101 A-1s and one TF101B-1. The sales slip for my $299 sale priced unit shows the model as "Sample N\A". My previously purchased unit ($399) model is described asTF101 A-1. The unit I received and described on the sales slip as "Sample N\A" was, in fact, a B-1. If this info is anything but confusing to you, you are a better man than I.

Cbill

I have a B1 and it is a 32Gb model. The A1 is 16Gb. Did you buy a 32 Gb ransformer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21