Constant random reboots since ICS

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded my Transformer (TF101, not Prime) to ICS after reading generally good reviews, and it's been a disaster for me... I keep finding the Transformer in some random state of rebooting whenever I leave it turned off for a while. Last night it was frozen at the startup screen with the grey circular dots; just now I found it just showing the initial POST-like screen over and over and over in a random reboot cycle. It never reboots to a usable system, the reboots go into some non-stable mode and the system either gets stuck, freezes, or just loops.

It's not rooted (But I'm tempted to do so if I have to wipe it anyway) and was totally stock. No SD card installed... would it be a good idea to just root it now? Or is it better to troubleshoot by trying to wipe it and get it stable before I think of rooting?

What is the best way to do a complete wipe on a non-rooted device?

Thanks!

Last edited:

garyf33

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issues yesterday after upgrading and found mine froze this morning but so far today it hasn't happened.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine has the same problem. It keeps randomly rebooting during the day. This morning I woke up to a nearly dead battery because it was stuck at the Asus separate bootup screen most of the night. I'm thinking of getting it exchanged because of this. It might just be my tablet tho, because it did that every couple of weeks even on honeycomb. Though it has increased in frequency since the update.

Still love it though!

Chappy

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it seems ok after a fresh restart for a little while but seems like if I leave it alone for about an hour or so it starts rebooting again. I never had any issues with this tablet before ICS so this is something new...

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same issue but only twice. To those having this issue I wouldn't return their device. Asus seems to be attentive to updates and if they get enough tickets on this they will probably issue one before long. No fanboy here but I do like my tablet and want to try and see it through.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I was scared. It turned on by itself and has been fine since. I hope ASUS puts out a maintenance release to fix some small bugs.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Mine turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I was scared. It turned on by itself and has been fine since. I hope ASUS puts out a maintenance release to fix some small bugs.

To do a "hard" reboot (no data loss), press and hold both the power/lock and the UP volume key for about five seconds. I had to do that today, which is why I'm reading this thread...

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had some instability, especially with Gmail, and one spontaneous reboot since the update yesterday morning. All in all, though, I think it was a pretty successful update, and expect ASUS will come through with an incremental update to take care of the issues. They always seems to do it pretty quickly.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

tazz602

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Got the upgrade yesterday on my TF101 and noticed this evening that the screen was stuck on the ASUS screen and the battery was half drained. After using it for about an hour noticed that it rebooted on me - which explained the screen and battery drain. So add my voice to those experiencing this issue and I read that the Prime had the same issue and ASUS got a fix out, so hopefully we will get one too petty soon.

rpscott02

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Ditto what everyone said. I updated yesterday and saw the Asus load screen stuck there when i woke up. Hard to say its "constant" yet but from all the comments this seems like a definite issue

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Doing a Hard Reboot didn't make any difference on my TF. Still experiencing instabiilty on and off, and spontaneous reboots once in a while (3 in about 36 hours).

Prior to ICS, my TF was remarkably stable, so it appears this is a new issue, at least to me.

Right now I'm preparing to try a Factory Reset, and if that is stable, start adding my apps back in.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Random reboots and freezes when doing so for mine also. I did some research to find a solution but all I found was advice to wipe data and factory reset but even afterward some people continued to experience problems. I couldn't find anything on the Asus support website about it. I may avoid the hassle of wiping data and just wait a couple of days to see if Asus releases a fix. I shouldn't have to but since my tablet was rock sold before, I'll wait and hope it is resolved and golden again soon.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had the issue when watching a video in the browser it freezes when you maximize the video? It seems like everything in the browser freezes.

Droid Nigel

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I was pretty happy with the update until I started getting these reboots which froze at the start screen. The good thing is that it responds to just holding the power button. I'm glad I woke up early tho because I use my tf as an alarm...I would've been late for work

nicoled985

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I havent gotten one since late last night but im probably speaking too soon. Im sure asus will have a fix

Azman432

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am the latest victim though I noticed it happened only once this morning. After leaving it for about 1 hour. Loking at the battery history, while at night, it shows that it woke up by itself an then wnet back to sleep. May be it is doing the auto rebooting again. Also aside from this, a few of my apps no longer work with ICS (Sorry for mentioning this in this thread).

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
My experience: Went to bed last night with 40%..turned off the screen. Woke up to a unresponsive tablet. Didn't respond to the power button, so I plugged it in, booted up..battery totally dead. From what I'm reading, I have to assume that it went into a reboot cycle during the night and drained the battery. I also was having major issue with the gmail app being real flaky...force close, freezing, etc. So I deleted data in the gmail app and let it resync. That seemed to help but I didn't reboot after resyncing, so we'll see. Left to go to the office this morning with 45%, put it in the drawer at home and I'll see if it's still "up" when I get home in a few hours.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My experience: Went to bed last night with 40%..turned off the screen. Woke up to a unresponsive tablet. Didn't respond to the power button, so I plugged it in, booted up..battery totally dead. From what I'm reading, I have to assume that it went into a reboot cycle during the night and drained the battery. I also was having major issue with the gmail app being real flaky...force close, freezing, etc. So I deleted data in the gmail app and let it resync. That seemed to help but I didn't reboot after resyncing, so we'll see. Left to go to the office this morning with 45%, put it in the drawer at home and I'll see if it's still "up" when I get home in a few hours.

That's a good description of what I have also encountered with gmail. The serious lagging comes and goes, and may be relieved for a bit with a reboot or cold reboot, but it always returns. I suggest that for the near term, you consider powering your TF down completely if you are leaving for an extended period, to avoid the possible complete battery depletion.

I just finished a Factory Reset, despite my expectations that it won't make a whit of difference, based on the input from others. I figure I needed to get that out of the way before I submit a support ticket to ASUS. If I'm wrong, and it actually helps, I'll be the happiest TF user on the planet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21