Yes, I'm a Tablet Addict...

jdeatsch

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
My name is Jim and I'm a Tablet Addict...

/chorus on "Hi Jim" /chorus off

So, I've been fooling with puters since my Altair kit in 1977. Yep, F.O.G.

I bought an Archos 80 G9, took it back to Staples.

Exchanged for a Nexus 7, took it back to Staples.

Exchanged it for a Transformer TF300T. Kept it.

I rooted both of the first two machines with no problems.

I cannot root this ASUS XFormer TF300T to save my soul. I bricked it once, got through that, now I'm gunshy.

Is there a method that actually WORKS for ROOTing this puppy?

It's on Android 4.1.1 and APPEARS to be on firmware 10.4.2.9-21020809 (if that's right).

Thoughts anyone?

TIA,

Jim

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
So if you could get a new tf101 for 239.99 or nexus 7 which would it be and why?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on how you plan to use your tablet. I personally am not interested in a 7 inch tablet so I haven't seriously considered the Nexus 7. My tablet use spans work and play and the tf101, when paired with the keyboard dock, is uniquely capable of handling both really well. The tf101 without the dock is still a nice tablet and $239.99 is a great price so it's hard to go wrong there.

On the other hand, the tf101 might not get Jellybean and it almost certainly will not get whatever comes out after that. The Nexus 7 will be getting the latest and greatest updates for at least a couple of years so it will stay current for much longer than the tf101.

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions about the tf101 feel free to fire away.

Knocks

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I feel like TF101 is outdated at this point, both the hardware and the software. The TF300T was an amazing device but not exactly fresh anymore either.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So if you could get a new tf101 for 239.99 or nexus 7 which would it be and why?

Like vito2000 said, it all depends on what you'll use it for. I have the 101 and there's no way I'd trade for the nexus 7. I like the nexus but I keep movies and media on micro sd's. No expandable memory on the 7 was the dealbreaker for me. I'm also not so sure that the 101 wont get jellybean. It got ICS fairly quickly (that's relative though in the android update world.....LOL). I also wanted the 10 inch screen. I watch MLB.tv and Netflix, etc. If I'm going to watch on a tablet, I want a larger screen. 7 inches isn't much larger than many phones now.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Like vito2000 said, it all depends on what you'll use it for. I have the 101 and there's no way I'd trade for the nexus 7. I like the nexus but I keep movies and media on micro sd's. No expandable memory on the 7 was the dealbreaker for me. I'm also not so sure that the 101 wont get jellybean. It got ICS fairly quickly (that's relative though in the android update world.....LOL). I also wanted the 10 inch screen. I watch MLB.tv and Netflix, etc. If I'm going to watch on a tablet, I want a larger screen. 7 inches isn't much larger than many phones now.

Yeah everything you said were basically my deciding factors in getting the 101. And I'm extremely happy I did. Getting jb would just be icing on tha cake.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I really only wanted jb for Google now, and since they ported is backwards I should be able to get it anyhow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463