The tf101 or nexus 7?

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I know this is kinda comparing apple's and oranges but here's the situation. Toys r us has the tf101 on sale for 239.99 or I can get the nexus 7 16gb for 249.99.

I like that the tf101 has the 10.1 in screen and an sd card slot for more memory. And the 5mp camera rear camera.

I like that the nexus 7 has the quad core processor and jelly bean on board.

Lemme know what you think.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Well as someone who saw the same sale you saw, I thought I'd answer you. Also I have had a Nexus 7 until an unfortunate accident with a busy road and the multiple cars running it over, and my kids Mom decided she wanted to upgrade from her Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to a 10 inch tablet, on a budget. We were looking at the Sony Tablet S, TF101, and A500/A200 because we could get them locally refurbished or open box for sub $300. She saw the sale for a brand new TF101 because despite the issue with it having come out in mid-2011, she doesn't play Tegra 3 only games, she doesn't do remote desktop into her laptop, she does do book reading, web surfing, casual games, email, wordpress publishing, picture viewing/taking, and movie watching. All of these things the Transformer will do, and do it well. However, it is 10 inches and though only 7 inches, it makes a difference. Personally despite the fact with the keyboard the Transformer is an affordable Netbook with power, I'm going to get another Nexus 7 when I can replace it, she preferred the Transformer and especially liked the keyboard because she could use it for her writing but detach it for the more common things to use it as a thin tablet for reading and stuff.

What is boils down to is "What do you want it for the most?"
- Gaming, then I'd be looking to spend some money to get the best experience doesn't come from eithier of these if it is the higher graphic intense ones as though you can play a lot of them on the Nexus 7 with the Tegra 3 chip, I've seen them on my friends Prime and there were some things that came out a lot better. (I like the gaming but differences personally still not enough to justify the price hike)
- Business, then it depends on size and what your business is. I use mine for work but it is for reading and walking into meetings and taking notes. I handwrite not type them and save everything to Evernote for transcription later, so the Nexus 7 is my right size. Have a friend who has 2 tablets, his self owned business and his personal one. 10 Inch laptop is used for work because he does diagrams and video presentations, he needs more people to be able to see it along with some connectivity. Home he has a Nexus 7 because he loves comics and doesn't care about high end games but wants the options to play some like Dead Trigger.
- Casual is also a size issue as both will do most things.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Since you've had experience with both how does the battery life compare.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
She was reading ebooks from 5pm until 2am off and on. Did some Web surfing, Facebook, downloaded some apps, and after 2am the Tf101 was at about 20%. Better than her Galaxy Tab 2 and once she gets the keyboard dock should be almost double.

Nexus 7 I would go wake up to bed if it was casual non-graphic intense use. But usually I had it on the charger when doing that because I'd have blue tooth on also.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Much appreciated. One more ?. Exactly what type of gaming is the tf101 limited to. It's going to be primarily for my son on roadtrips to watch movies and play games. He likes angry birds, temple run etc. Nothing with intense graphics or anything. And when he's not using it I probably will on a day to day basis which is why I'm leaning toward the tf101 with the bigger screen. Don't really plan on buying the keyboard so that's not an issue for me. Another thing is I don't really like just being limited to the 16gb with the nexus. Any quirks with either tab you can advise on. And I've heard the tf101 got the jelly bean ota. Is this true? Well guess that was a.couple ?'s not just 1. The help is really appreciated.

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of the tf101 I will chime in here. The tf101 handles the games that you mentioned just fine. The games that it doesn't handle are the graphically intense games that are designed specifically for tablets with quad-core Tegra processors. Sounds like it will be a good fit for your son's use.

I can also tell you that the tf101 has not received the Jellybean ota. I'm not sure if it is supposed to get the update in the future. I've heard rumors saying it will and rumors saying it won't.

For what it's worth, I love my tf101. I use it in conjunction with the keyboard doc, which works really well and sets it apart from other tablets. If I was shopping for a tablet without the keyboard dock I would actually consider some other options though. One quirky thing about the tf101 is the charger. It is a higher voltage charger than the standard usb chargers so you won't be able to use a travel charger or the charger that came with your phone. You can only use the Asus charger. To charge your tf101 in the car you'll have to buy a special car charger or a power inverter. Not the end of the world, just something that I was surprised about after I bought my tablet.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know there are better options but not anywhere near that price point which it what attracted me. If I had never seen it on sale my choice would have been the nexus hands down.

mbfiggins

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My husband has a TF101 and will do what he needs to do. I'm waiting to get a tablet because I want a 7" for the ability to carry it easily. The SD card and rear camera missing from the Nexus 7 are exactly why I haven't purchased one. I've used his to play some games and the large size is very nice for that. I recommend it highly.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a bunch for the info. All of your input + some build quality issues I've been running across with the nexus 7 have solidified my decision to get the tf101. Now I just hope they have one left when I get paid Friday lol. I figure its better to have older technology that works as opposed to the latest and greatest that's a toss up. But thanks again to everyone.

mattyray1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My brother bought a Nexus 7 a few weeks ago and gave me his Transformer as a hand me down, so I have the experience with both tablets and I like the Nexus 7. Tegra 3 plus Jelly Bean equals zippy! Given the chance I would take the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I own the TF101 as well as the Transformer Prime. I bought the prime and passed down the TF101 to my wife. Both tablets are really great. The only thing that I would comment on is the size and weight of the TF101. It is a bit heavier than a lot of tablets. Certainly more than the Nexus 7 and way more than the Prime. Asus was unique in their design of the TF101 but the edges are a bit sharp and can dig into your hands if you hold it for longer periods. The Nexus is smaller and smoother. If you get the TF101 just wrap it in a case.

As far as doing what you need it is very powerful. It really has so many great features. But adding the keyboard is where it shines. Because it has a usb port on the dock you can add a portable drive to it and transfer files. Plus you can add a mouse if you want to do more notebook type of work. The additional battery gives you huge power. I find it especially handy when taking long trips or flights where you have limited power sources. I rarely take my laptop anymore as I can do all my communication with the tablet. If you don't get the keyboard you will still be happy. Drop in a 32gb sdcard and you will be in great shape. Movies look great on it and there are some great apps that will play any format. Dice and MX players are great.

Really I think you can lose with whatever you choose. The Nexus 7 is amazing. Jellybean is the biggest benefit. I don't think the TF101 will be getting the upgrade as I read a post directly from Asus that said it wouldn't. The tegra 2 chip apparently has limitations with the graphics drivers or something. But it is running ICS and it is smooth. It is stock Android so you get OTA updates regularly.

Happy purchasing.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well as someone who saw the same sale you saw, I thought I'd answer you. Also I have had a Nexus 7 until an unfortunate accident with a busy road and the multiple cars running it over, and my kids Mom decided she wanted to upgrade from her Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to a 10 inch tablet, on a budget. We were looking at the Sony Tablet S, TF101, and A500/A200 because we could get them locally refurbished or open box for sub $300. She saw the sale for a brand new TF101 because despite the issue with it having come out in mid-2011, she doesn't play Tegra 3 only games, she doesn't do remote desktop into her laptop, she does do book reading, web surfing, casual games, email, wordpress publishing, picture viewing/taking, and movie watching. All of these things the Transformer will do, and do it well. However, it is 10 inches and though only 7 inches, it makes a difference. Personally despite the fact with the keyboard the Transformer is an affordable Netbook with power, I'm going to get another Nexus 7 when I can replace it, she preferred the Transformer and especially liked the keyboard because she could use it for her writing but detach it for the more common things to use it as a thin tablet for reading and stuff.

What is boils down to is "What do you want it for the most?"
- Gaming, then I'd be looking to spend some money to get the best experience doesn't come from eithier of these if it is the higher graphic intense ones as though you can play a lot of them on the Nexus 7 with the Tegra 3 chip, I've seen them on my friends Prime and there were some things that came out a lot better. (I like the gaming but differences personally still not enough to justify the price hike)
- Business, then it depends on size and what your business is. I use mine for work but it is for reading and walking into meetings and taking notes. I handwrite not type them and save everything to Evernote for transcription later, so the Nexus 7 is my right size. Have a friend who has 2 tablets, his self owned business and his personal one. 10 Inch laptop is used for work because he does diagrams and video presentations, he needs more people to be able to see it along with some connectivity. Home he has a Nexus 7 because he loves comics and doesn't care about high end games but wants the options to play some like Dead Trigger.
- Casual is also a size issue as both will do most things.

Have to say that so far the tf101 has exceeded all expectations. Plays high graphic games fine (dead trigger) and is super smooth. I think its worth every bit of the 400.00 price tag and I'm extremely pleased i picked it up for 239.00.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347723619727.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347723619727.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 57

Knocks

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
This comparison is kind of beyond apples an oranges. 7-inch and 10-inch tablets are essentially two different types of product. Completely different in portability, being able to type, web usage, etc. So your main decision should be price or manufacturer. It should be whether you want a full-sized tablet or not.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
This comparison is kind of beyond apples an oranges. 7-inch and 10-inch tablets are essentially two different types of product. Completely different in portability, being able to type, web usage, etc. So your main decision should be price or manufacturer. It should be whether you want a full-sized tablet or not.

Little late to the party man. Already bought the transformer.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Little late to the party man. Already bought the transformer.

Would you recommend it? My friend is about to buy it, and I'm wanting to make sure he makes a good purchase.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I would say it all depends on how much he's getting it for. I only paid 239.99 for mine brand new and I think it was an excellent deal. At the original price Of 399.99 there are better ones out there now.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I would say it all depends on how much he's getting it for. I only paid 239.99 for mine brand new and I think it was an excellent deal. At the original price Of 399.99 there are better ones out there now.

I think he paid around $200

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech