Jelly Bean upgrade

bhb2048

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a Google Nexus phone which recently got upgraded to 4.2. My TF-101 tablet is still at 4.0.3 and I miss the 4.1/4.2 features so I sent the following to Asus support at tsd@asus.com.tw:

When will my TF101 be upgraded to Android 4.1 or 4.2?
Buy the way, if never, then I will be reluctant to purchase another tablet from Asus.

I got this reply after a couple days:

"So sorry for that it will not."

That must mean it will never be upgraded to Jelly Bean and I am very displeased. To hopefully make a point to Asus, I'm making this post and selling my TF-101 and dock. I just ordered a Nexus 10.

Barry Branham

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Google Nexus phone which recently got upgraded to 4.2. My TF-101 tablet is still at 4.0.3 and I miss the 4.1/4.2 features so I sent the following to Asus support at tsd@asus.com.tw:

Buy the way, if never, then I will be reluctant to purchase another tablet from Asus.

That must mean it will never be upgraded to Jelly Bean and I am very displeased. To hopefully make a point to Asus, I'm making this post and selling my TF-101 and dock. I just ordered a Nexus 10.

Barry Branham

I remember when Asus said that all of their devices would receive Jelly Bean.
Source:
http://stuffmideast.com/2012/07/19/134207/all-asus-tablets-will-get-android-4-1-jelly-bean-update-in-time/

n3vry

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Asus made such a mess, with the ICS update, I'm not sure that I would want them to try a JellyBean update. They would probably screw that up too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Barry Branham

I'm doing the same, I just can't afford the Nexus 10 now. I have an SD card arriving tomorrow and I will root and ROM this laggy POS.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing the same, I just can't afford the Nexus 10 now. I have an SD card arriving tomorrow and I will root and ROM this laggy POS.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Let us know what ROM you go with and how you do it. I'm trying to get a friend on the root rom bandwagon :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gtamhankar

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Try the Team EOS 4 (JB 4.2 based ROM).
Everything works and is stable eventhough its in "nightlies" stage.

Check out TF101 XDA Forum.
It gives step by step instructions.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

gtamhankar

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
To root and flash Clockwork Mod Recovery: ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101: Root, custom recovery, and unbricking with one-click tool - Android Authority

Flash TWRP Recovery: How to flash TWRP Recovery on the Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101

Flash 4.2 ROM: [ROM][4.2 JB MR1] Team EOS 4 *JELLYBEAN MR1* Nightlies -- TF101 - xda-developers

Steps for flashing 4.2 ROM first time:
1) Flash the latest TWRP recovery
2) Wipe caches, /data, /system, internal sdcard and factory reset
3) Flash Team EOS4 latest build: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing tf101
4) Flash Timduru's kernel: [Kernel] [JB4.1-4.2.x] KatKernel - OC | UV | CIFS | IPTABLES | TUN - xda-developers
5) Flash Google Apps: Link in this post: [ROM][4.2 JB MR1] Team EOS 4 *JELLYBEAN MR1* Nightlies -- TF101 - xda-developers

Steps for updating ROM:
1) Wipe caches and /system,
2) Flash the ROM, then the kernel, then the gapps
3) Wipe the caches again and reboot

Hope this helps!

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
gtamhankar: Many thanks for your concise instructions. It's easy to get lost on XDA, not know what you really need or whatever. I'm finally finishing up my setup of EOS4 b93...seems to work slick!

Can you answer me what or where I can find the KatKernel stuff? I installed it and all was successful (I followed your 4.2 for first time instructions) Does it get installed and simply run under the covers at this stage or is there a control panel for it?

gtamhankar

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
gtamhankar: Many thanks for your concise instructions. It's easy to get lost on XDA, not know what you really need or whatever. I'm finally finishing up my setup of EOS4 b93...seems to work slick!

Can you answer me what or where I can find the KatKernel stuff? I installed it and all was successful (I followed your 4.2 for first time instructions) Does it get installed and simply run under the covers at this stage or is there a control panel for it?

Yeah! It took me a while to figure it all out. So thought I'll share it here so that some one else can use it!

KatKernel works under the hood to improve the overall UI responsiveness, performance, enabling overclocking.
There's no control panel as such. You can try apps like setCPU to overclock but most of it is to enable the ROM to function well.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks again... It has only crashed once on me, and that was when I was fooling around adding widgets to the lock screen that aren't actually lockscreen widgets. I think that was an EOS Control Center option to enable all widgets as available for the lockscreen.

Battery life seems not to be as good and I'm not OCing my TF...it's not bad, but it's not great either. From last night at 10pm to this morning at 5AM, with wireless off during sleep, my battery went down about 13%.

I wonder if it's because maybe I missed the wiping of the system during the course of my initial rooting/recovery/rom flashing process. I only remember doing four wipes...both caches, internal sdcard, factory reset. Maybe there's something stale in there, I dunno From what I've read, most roms have a script that clears the system and there was certainly nothing left over. I wonder how much of a pain it would be to whack it and start over. I just got everything going again, so I'm not looking forward to tooling with it all over again.

*EDIT*
My sound cut out again so I decided to do a fresh wipe and reload. Maybe my GPS will be a bit more responsive this time around. Google is doing a good job of restoring all my apps, backgrounds, etc... I'm not even bothering pulling stuff over via Titanium Backup. Half the apps bark about something being not right or simply do not work correctly (ie. Amazon Kindle app had all my books, settings, etc...but no covers would ever show up - clearing the data in the app, logging in for the "first time" made everything normal again although I had to download my books again.)

Last edited:

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks again... It has only crashed once on me, and that was when I was fooling around adding widgets to the lock screen that aren't actually lockscreen widgets. I think that was an EOS Control Center option to enable all widgets as available for the lockscreen.

Battery life seems not to be as good and I'm not OCing my TF...it's not bad, but it's not great either. From last night at 10pm to this morning at 5AM, with wireless off during sleep, my battery went down about 13%.

I wonder if it's because maybe I missed the wiping of the system during the course of my initial rooting/recovery/rom flashing process. I only remember doing four wipes...both caches, internal sdcard, factory reset. Maybe there's something stale in there, I dunno From what I've read, most roms have a script that clears the system and there was certainly nothing left over. I wonder how much of a pain it would be to whack it and start over. I just got everything going again, so I'm not looking forward to tooling with it all over again.

*EDIT*
My sound cut out again so I decided to do a fresh wipe and reload. Maybe my GPS will be a bit more responsive this time around. Google is doing a good job of restoring all my apps, backgrounds, etc... I'm not even bothering pulling stuff over via Titanium Backup. Half the apps bark about something being not right or simply do not work correctly (ie. Amazon Kindle app had all my books, settings, etc...but no covers would ever show up - clearing the data in the app, logging in for the "first time" made everything normal again although I had to download my books again.)

The sound issue I've found is not the ACTUAL sound cutting out but that the software tells it to shut off. I plug headphones in at work to watch Podcasts and it does that to me where it will have sound then all of a sudden stop. I found if I went into the sound settings it would say that it was muted. I had to go there, then play with the sound up and down to get it to release, which still sucks, but was better than rebooting the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez