Who's getting one...

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If anything, put the decent camera forward facing and the junky one out back. It'll at least give more incentive to embrace the video-calling craze we supposedly want.

I agree. I'd rather have the higher quality camera facing forward (or a high quality camera forward and no camera in back.)

As long as it can video call fairly well with the front camera, I don't care if the back camera ever works.

-Suntan

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but being able to play 1080p video and being able to play it WELL are two very different things. Even if it plays 1080p at 5fps, ASUS can still make the claim that it can play 1080p. When it comes to things like netbooks and tablets, I rarely put much credibility in the manafacturers claims of HD playback because often what you get is worse than what they claim.

Depends on bitrate, even bluray players have a max rate. I can play the quicktime transformers 2 trailer perfect on Atrix 1920 x 800 source scaled to phone display.

Traxion

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure ill be getting one next week. Software issues can always be remedied by patching. The hardware looks great and thats a big deal for me.

Evolution_9mr

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There was a software update pushed but a day or two ago, did this not fix the camera app and speed some things up?

I'm looking at picking one of these up before i head to Hawaii on 4-29. Good news the release date is the 26th so that should give me time to play with it in the store and see whats up. I'd rather not drag a laptop on the plane with me...

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely getting one of these bad boys, because for this specific time in the tech evolution of tablets...this one has the right price. I could really care less about cameras on a tablet, I am not going to be walking around taking pictures with it...for that I have either my Thunderbolt or...*gasp*...a camera! WOAH! Who uses those anymore?!!?

I was toying between this and the Toshiba Tab, but the ASUS with its price and release date being next week, wins. 16GB of storage is good enough for me on it too...I figure if I need more, Ill toss things on an external harddrive, cloud it up, or buy a nice SD card for it. Win.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
YES! This is the first tablet that called to me. I'll be doing pre-order or driving around town on Tuesday. At first I didn't want the keyboard, but the more I see it, the more I want that too.

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is the tablet I've been waiting for. I describe a tablet to my wife as simply a touch-screen laptop with the keyboard removed. This is the best of both worlds. I cannot wait to get one.

Problem is, though, that I'll probably have to wait a while before i can splurge to get it. I want it NOW, though. :)

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This is the tablet I've been waiting for. I describe a tablet to my wife as simply a touch-screen laptop with the keyboard removed. This is the best of both worlds. I cannot wait to get one.

Problem is, though, that I'll probably have to wait a while before i can splurge to get it. I want it NOW, though. :)

Woah.... I did not think this was a splurge purchase....

griff7774

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I 'm in the same boat.. I waited for this for so long now:-$ I have to wait a little while longer.:'(

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with the camera comments. I will be shocked the first time I see someone whipping out a tablet to take a pictures. The only time I've used it on the Xoom is to import a printed document and that is usually at an office where no flash is needed. I'm more than happy with the camera on my TBolt for casual snaps. Ill trade off the Xooms average cameras for the IPS display all day long.

Now to hope the retailers actually have both the Transformer in stock and the KB dock.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The 2 reasons I don't agree about the importance of a functional camera/video capture are:

1. I am considering the needs of 2 users who do not carry smartphones. Obviously, the rest of us - with smartphones - might not care.

2. If the feature is included in the product, it had better work. I agree with others that ASUS will probably (eventually) patch the software that is causing the problem.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

:)

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
The 2 reasons I don't agree about the importance of a functional camera/video capture are:

1. I am considering the needs of 2 users who do not carry smartphones. Obviously, the rest of us - with smartphones - might not care.

The odds of any two people owning tablets but not owning smartphones are pretty long. And the odds of any two people having those tablets available at the same time are even more remote. You're much more likely to catch someone with a smartphone on them at any given time than catching them with a tablet, even if they own one. It's the same reason I prefer to text people than email them. They may or may not be at a computer, but it's almost certain that they'll have their phone on them--and it doesn't need to be a smartphone.

Even on desktops and laptops, I've always found that trying to organize a communication workflow around video has too many dependencies to be worthwhile in my cases. Video chat can certainly be done well, but getting everyone you want to need to talk to on board with the program is an uphill proposition. Just think about the Android users who are cut out of the loop with FaceTime.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The odds of any two people owning tablets but not owning smartphones are pretty long.

That's a broad assumption. Believe it or not, there are people - obviously not us - who want a phone for 1 thing (voice calls) & maybe texting. These are the same people who absolutely will NOT touch a computer between 5pm Friday - 9am Monday. lol. These people DO exist.

It is THESE people who want to get everything done when they finally force themselves to sit at a computer - and they expect everything to work.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I am definitely interested, though I'm probably buying a desktop soon, so I may not be able to afford it. Maybe a birthday present to myself this summer.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
That's a broad assumption. Believe it or not, there are people - obviously not us - who want a phone for 1 thing (voice calls) & maybe texting. These are the same people who absolutely will NOT touch a computer between 5pm Friday - 9am Monday. lol. These people DO exist.

It is THESE people who want to get everything done when they finally force themselves to sit at a computer - and they expect everything to work.
You missed the key half of the sentence you quoted.
The odds of any two people owning tablets but not owning smartphones are pretty long.
Obviously, many people don't own smartphones. But while I'm sure that there are people who don't own a smartphone but own a tablet, I think they're an extreme minority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC