$399 Transformer will have cameras and GPS

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Pure rumor and speculation, since we haven't seen the $399 US model yet, but according to Technidroid the entry level model may likely be stripped of the camera (rear was specified) and or GPS.

Yeah cameras are a gimmick on a big tablet to many, but still not the kind of news we want to hear.

Is it true? No idea. Just throwing it out there. Big thanks to Tim for the heads up.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I?d be fine without the rear camera, but the front camera needs to be there. GPS, that would be nice to have.

In any case, I?m not set on $400 price (I?ll consider it a happy surprise if true.)

-Suntan

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I guess i'm not in the majority but cameras are on a tablet are pretty much a gimmick imo. I have zero use to duplicate what I have on my TBolt with much better quality cameras. Plus if I do want to video chat, a 6oz phone is going to be much easier to hold than a 1.5lb tablet. As far as GPS goes, I guess it's nice to have but wouldn't expect it on a WiFi model. I'm way more excited about the implementation of the keyboard with usable ports and doubling the battery than anything.

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Sound good to me as long as its the rear camera, got to have the FFC for vid chat. GPS would be nice to have but with so many GPS device in my tech arsenal do I really need more? I guess if it keeps price down then I can do with out.

P.S. Jerry... AWSOME profile pic!

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Rear camera- no sweat
Front camera- don't do that
GPS- I'd like it, but a 10" tab is too big to in my car and I wouldn't walk around using GPS on a tab.

I don't know for sure. I'm waiting for my info about price, models, release etc.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Do you think this device will get any support? Also, should i get this or wait for the Toshiba... Price point is the issue for me. I just can't justify another laptop cost and i get 100 dollar credit on my discover card and 25 off on amazon so It makes it a more reasonable 275. That said, what do you guys think? Wait or get this?

The HTC Flyer, toshiba, g slate? What's the best?

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason why this will see support is that Asus if just getting into this market and I think they will want to make a splash. They have already issued a firmware update and it has not even been out a month yet. Plus this is right up their alley. They make great hardware and I have had their Mobo's for many years. And they have never failed to update the bios on them to keep them running great.

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
so from all the info Ive gathered so far, it seems like the only difference between the 16gb and 32gb version is just that, one has 16gb and the other 32gb? No other hardware differences whatsoever? if thats the case I cant imagine why anyone would get the 32 version, since it has an SD card slot for expanded memory and you can just add more later. Is there any disadvantage to using SD memory over internal memory?

muscal

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
No gps is not cool. I know i will use google maps when im walking around and waiting in stores for my gf to finish trying **** on. Where can i buy one from Taiwan? Also, does anyone know if UK version has GPS? Thanks.

EDIT: the article i read on Engadget wasn't well enough researched. They were basing it off a poorly written (now corrected) review on anandtech. It does have GPS. Woohoo!
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I would like to keep the front camera, but I could definitely do without a rear camera. In "laptop" mode, having a "webcam" for web chats is a very high priority. My family does lots of video chats as groups (ie: my family all on cam chatting with my brother and his family in D.C.). Keeping that functionality is very important.

Why, though, do we need cameras on the back? I don't know. If they throw it in for free, I'll take it. But if they need to charge $50 for it, I say pass.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
According to Anandtech review, which has a US version, there is both a GPS and cameras. The GPS confusion seems to come from the fact that you can find your location using the GPS, but it cannot easily navigate (since it has no mobile data).

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
The article i read on Engadget wasn't well enough researched. They were basing it off a poorly written (now corrected) review on anandtech.
The Anandtech review is the best written, most thorough review to date. It did contain the factual error about the lack of GPS, which Anand himself corrected by contacting Asus.

Engadget, on the other hand, not only decided to take Anandtech's initial error and post a headline story about the Transformer lacking GPS, but they claimed that Asus "contradicted themselves" by listing GPS on their official spec page. Then they removed the article within a couple of hours instead of just updating it.

This was after writing a truly poorly written review of the Transformer, which claimed that the trackpad lacked multitouch--then amended it after claiming that a software update "fixed" the problem--despite that there are several videos on YouTube, even as far back as CES, demonstrating multitouch in action (I linked to an Italian tech blog's video in another thread). The review also claimed that the USB port functionality was inconsistent, despite the fact that hands-on videos on AC and Netbookreviews.net show the USB ports working without a hitch. Unlike Anandtech, which included video rundown tests of battery life measurements, Engadget's half-ass review simply avoided the issue of battery life by stating "we were unable to test the battery life".

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, engadget went down the tubes after all those editors left. More than one of them used android devices as their primary devices. I don't think anyone left does. Engadget was just starting to turn around, I thought they were truly getting to almost even footing between iOS and Android. Sad to see that fall apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair