Worst launch ever?

Worst launch ever?

• Total voters

Traxion

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
For $190 less than the 32gb wifi Xoom, that Asus would have 16gb of memory and no keyboard. The 32gb Asus is only $90 less than the Xoom. It's really a moot point though, since my job requires a device with mobile broadband, which the Asus does not have.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Not really a moot point since I was only comparing costs between WIFI only tabs. Both Acer and Asus have a memory expansion slot can increase storage space double what the 32GB Xoom can provide. Sure you may not be able to install apps on the sdcard, but the idea of filling up a device with just apps alone... is nuts.

fuzzylemurs

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly - I have been involved (through work; macrumors.com) with launches of the iPad tabs, and I am fairly underwhelmed with the response this tab has gotten. I see a sharp response in the poll stating that most readers are disappointed, but the real number that stands out is how many people responded to the poll.

On day one, hour one, thousands and thousands were responding to the release of the original iPad. While I do not expect the same results, I am starting to think that android lovers are coming up short with this poll's results. I know that this forum is not the de facto media response to the Transformer, but this site was brought up first in google in a search of "tablet android"... This tells me that our original estimations of interest may be heavily biased...

I think ASUS - a company I have dealt with for YEARS, has accurately estimated the market, and has us exactly where we are...

Thoughts?

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly - I have been involved (through work; macrumors.com) with launches of the iPad tabs, and I am fairly underwhelmed with the response this tab has gotten. I see a sharp response in the poll stating that most readers are disappointed, but the real number that stands out is how many people responded to the poll.

On day one, hour one, thousands and thousands were responding to the release of the original iPad. While I do not expect the same results, I am starting to think that android lovers are coming up short with this poll's results. I know that this forum is not the de facto media response to the Transformer, but this site was brought up first in google in a search of "tablet android"... This tells me that our original estimations of interest may be heavily biased...

I think ASUS - a company I have dealt with for YEARS, has accurately estimated the market, and has us exactly where we are...

Thoughts?

I agree 100%! I would be very surprised if the Transformer even outsold the Xoom. Despite what the fanboys may think, the Asus name is not the best in the industry. I have yet to even see an ad for the Transformer. I think the majority of people who will buy the Transformer are the type of people who hang out on forums like this one. The people who build their own computers and know the Asus name. I can tell you that if my parents (just using them as the average consumer) were going to buy a tablet, the names they would know are Apple, Blackberry, and Motorola. That brand familiarity goes a long way when making a decision about this type of device. The Transformer is a niche device, and I'm sure Asus doesn't want to overshoot their bounds.

joneee

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
stop crying

It's a little silly to call a sold-out within a couple of hours the "worst launch ever". I would call that a rather successful launch day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For $190 less than the 32gb wifi Xoom, that Asus would have 16gb of memory and no keyboard. The 32gb Asus is only $90 less than the Xoom. It's really a moot point though, since my job requires a device with mobile broadband, which the Asus does not have.

freeky, we get it. You love your Xoom and nothing else on the planet is capable of meeting your needs. We're happy you found it.

Now please allow the rest of us to discuss the other tablets without having to constantly hear how they all fall far short of your Xoom.

-Suntan

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
freeky, we get it. You love your Xoom and nothing else on the planet is capable of meeting your needs. We're happy you found it.

Now please allow the rest of us to discuss the other tablets without having to constantly hear how they all fall far short of your Xoom.

-Suntan

How is my commenting on the Transformer any different that your constant commenting on the Xoom? It's a two way street. Oh, and stop putting words into my mouth. I never said any of that.

plumhead

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
How is my commenting on the Transformer any different that your constant commenting on the Xoom? It's a two way street. Oh, and stop putting words into my mouth. I never said any of that.

Alright, break it up you two. Don't make me call your mothers.

reidoreilly

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm hearing May 13th is when the second shipments are coming in from Taiwan. And we're told Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 is coming June 8th, which is 3 weeks from may 13th. Some people may wait and go with the thinner, lighter samsung ...uhmmmmm food for thought. I really wanted a transformer too, i hear LCD shortages are the cause for production shortages and an unexpectedly high demand for the transformer in the UK (launched there a few weeks ago).

with a 10" screen a thickness of .34" or .5", really isnt that much of a difference, people read into that number too much.

JLG1985

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
B&H Photo IS TAKING PRE-ORDERS RIGHT NOW - what sux is they're charging your card now! What I wonder is who would even begin to fill up a 16GB or 32GB tablet and still be able to drop in another 32GB SD card.

These are not meant to be your full-time puter or whatever anyway, they're meant to fill that gap when away from your main system bored out of your skull like at say a football game. I have daughters whom are cheerleaders - do I give a $hit about the damn football, basketball, or baseball game, hell no! So what do I do - I whip out my EVO and browse around, listen to music, maybe watch a movie or something. But ALL that is umtil I get home and use my Asus W90Vp-X2 18.4" beast.

I have just safely pre-ordered my Transformer from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Asus+TF-101&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Get 'em while they're still taking pre-orders and have them on launch day.

Last edited:

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

Thoughts?

Check out the number of upset fans on their FB page...

Syrusoo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I just wish I was better prepared for the launch. Waited 5 months to decide on what tablet I wanted and will wait for this to be available even if it's another week or two. Just wish i didn't get my hopes up for the April 26th date.

Traxion

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I just wish I was better prepared for the launch. Waited 5 months to decide on what tablet I wanted and will wait for this to be available even if it's another week or two. Just wish i didn't get my hopes up for the April 26th date.

This

/10char

Grape Drank

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone that got these were just people trying to gouge others for them in resales. there are tons on sale on ebay and amazon for 500+. It's ******ed. Why would they release them at 12am PST anyway? They should have done it mid-day so more people had a chance.

I wouldn't call this the worst launch. Limited supplies suck, but the release time was kind of crappy. People that work normal jobs aren't generally up at midnight and beyond on a week night.

antacus

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Just be careful with ebay. I read that many of the tablets are pre-order. You are paying extra just to wait with the rest of us.

dsstrainer

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Android pricing is just crazy now.

Xoom blew their load early and is now stuck holding an overpriced (and now under spec'd) device with no sd card

Acer's $450 iconia was hot for 1 day until Asus gave them the finger

Really it could have been done better.

Asus should have pushed their tablet + keyboard initially as a forced combo to get the initial sales rolling, people would have happily paid $549 for a tablet with keyboard, even tho most of us have no need for it. But Asus is kind and not-so-greedy so we appreciate that.

Moto on the other hand, with all their BS with verizon 3g for wifi, broken sd card, and non-IPS screen needs to get their head out of their ass with the $599 price tag. The only way they can get back in this is with an immediate drop (right now) before Asus gets back in stock. A Xoom for $449 may be the highest, but I'm thinking they need to drop down to around $429 to be relevant.

Once Asus gets back in stock, Moto may as well pack up shop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781