Worst launch ever?

Worst launch ever?

• Total voters

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Frustrations Abound

So who else thinks this has got to be one of the worst device launches ever?
Asus said the transformer would come out on the 26th and gave us a list of retailers, they did not however mention that the majority of those retailers wouldnt be getting the transformer (im looking at you best buy.)
So it seems to me the only people lucky enough to get this great tablet were those who were able to stay up until 2 A.M and hit the order button by 2:05.
Anyone else agree?

I'm in the 70+% that that voted "yes" to this question, but only because there weren't any middle of the road options. ;)

I'm sure there have been worse launches, but I have to admit to being a little frustrated with Asus. It doesn't make sense to announce a launch date, have a list of retailers that will sell the device, but then at the appointed time, have no (or almost no) availability. I have visited the Asus website on several occasions and the websites of most of the vendors who are supposedly "selling" this device. The only retailers that even have listings (the last time I checked) were Amazon and B&H. That makes no sense to me. And if Asus is going to announce a "launch," I don't think it is unreasonable to ship demo units to each of the brick and mortar retail partners so that they would be available for the launch date, even if the retailers could only take online orders. If Asus couldn't deliver, I would have preferred that they postponed the launch date until they could deliver...Like April 26 means nothing if B&H has on their website that shipments will not begin until May 31!

I don't think Asus intended to artificially drive up demand with "vaporware," but the company looks a little inept to me. And since there aren't any Transformers available without jumping through a lot of hoops, I will take a longer look at the Acer Iconia and maybe wait for the Toshiba. And I'm not ordering/buying anything until I can put my hands on it and see for myself how it feels!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't help but compare this to Apple's past launches. Intentional or not, the result is the same.

How so? Plenty of people got iPad, iPhone 4, and iPad2 on launch day. At the mall across the street no one I know that was willing to wait in line the first couple of days walked out without their iPad2.

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Like April 26 means nothing if B&H has on their website that shipments will not begin until May 31!

I placed my order for 2 tablets at B&H website the second it was open to take order on launch day. Since they don't ship until 5/31, I am canceling my order there. I also placed my order an order for 1 tablet at Amazon during launch. If Amazon cannot deliver to me by mid May, I intent to cancel there as well.

I need to buy 3 tablets by mid May. If I can't get the Transformers by then, I will have to consider either the Xoom, Iconia, or iPad. Xoom does not have a full size USB and is over priced. Iconia feels cheap. I noticed a grid of dots inside the glass display while I was at Best Buy. All you have to do is shut off the screen and look closely...you will see the grid. And my last resort is to buy the iPad which I am trying to avoid going this route.

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site
The Iconia - Now Maybe Not So Much

I need to buy 3 tablets by mid May. If I can't get the Transformers by then, I will have to consider either the Xoom, Iconia, or iPad. Xoom does not have a full size USB and is over priced. Iconia feels cheap. I noticed a grid of dots inside the glass display while I was at Best Buy. All you have to do is shut off the screen and look closely...you will see the grid. And my last resort is to buy the iPad which I am trying to avoid going this route.

Wow, a grid of dots in the Acer??? That is sooo not good! That would be a deal breaker for me. Maybe it was just the demo that had that defect...And I don't blame you for not wanting to buy an ipad2 - when comparing the specs, the ipad2 totally trumps with apps, but otherwise, falls a little short, imho. The ipad2 has supply/demand issues, too. I've also lost all interest in spending $600 on the Motorola Xoom.

I sincerely wish you good luck in trying to get three tabs by mid-May. I've read where some who placed Asus orders with Amazon are getting delivery confirmations by early May, but it looks like they placed their orders in the early am on launch day...

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
How nitpicky can you get? You see a grid with the screen turned off? That's like complaining about fingerprints.

Sorry, but some of you OCD folks are in for a hellish time when you buy one and the return period is over... and a much better tablet is released days later. :)

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't help but compare this to Apple's past launches. Intentional or not, the result is the same.

Ridiculous comparison. Apple sold 600,000 iPad 2's the first weekend. I doubt Asus had 6,000 Transformers in the channel at launch, much less 600,000. iPad 2 shortages are due to incredible demand, not lack of supply.

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm hearing May 13th is when the second shipments are coming in from Taiwan. And we're told Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 is coming June 8th, which is 3 weeks from may 13th. Some people may wait and go with the thinner, lighter samsung ...uhmmmmm food for thought. I really wanted a transformer too, i hear LCD shortages are the cause for production shortages and an unexpectedly high demand for the transformer in the UK (launched there a few weeks ago).

Where did you hear the June 8th date for the Samsung? Depending on price, and knowing Samsung's quality (especially their panels), it might be worth waiting for the launch. And likely Samsung would have enough product in the channel to meet demand.

I have the Transformer on order at both Amazon and J&R, but since I sold my iPad I'm having tablet withdrawal symptoms. I need a tablet SOON!

bluemarc22

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Where did you hear the June 8th date for the Samsung? Depending on price, and knowing Samsung's quality (especially their panels), it might be worth waiting for the launch. And likely Samsung would have enough product in the channel to meet demand.

I have the Transformer on order at both Amazon and J&R, but since I sold my iPad I'm having tablet withdrawal symptoms. I need a tablet SOON!

Samsung's new Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 get some competitive price tags, starts at $469 -- Engadget

meantime, go buy a nook color on ebay for $200 and put cm7 on it, it's da bomb!!! (i'm donatting my ipad1 to my sister since i never use it anymore)

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I doubt Asus had 6,000 Transformers in the channel at launch, much less 600,000
More like 100,000, which was half of Asus' initially proposed supply if this Electronista article (published a week prior to launch) is to be believed. Hardly in the iPad league, to be sure, but considering that it's taken the Xoom nearly three months to sell an estimated 250,000, I'm impressed.

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, a grid of dots in the Acer??? That is sooo not good! That would be a deal breaker for me. Maybe it was just the demo that had that defect...And I don't blame you for not wanting to buy an ipad2 - when comparing the specs, the ipad2 totally trumps with apps, but otherwise, falls a little short, imho. The ipad2 has supply/demand issues, too. I've also lost all interest in spending $600 on the Motorola Xoom.

I was thinking about getting the Acer as my backup plan so I went to Best Buy to check it out. Very disappointed to see the grid. Like you said, maybe it was just a defective demo version. I'll go check it out at another Best Buy.

I already own a Xoom. The wife like it and she is keeping it. So right now, I don't have a tablet for myself. The Xoom is nice but it 1. does not have a full size USB, 2. the SD card don't work yet, and 3. over priced.

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
How nitpicky can you get? You see a grid with the screen turned off? That's like complaining about fingerprints.

Sorry, but some of you OCD folks are in for a hellish time when you buy one and the return period is over... and a much better tablet is released days later. :)

I have no problem with seeing fingerprints on the screen. I could wipe it and it's gone. Seeing the grid inside the screen really bothers me. I don't believe I have to be picky to feel that way.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem with seeing fingerprints on the screen. I could wipe it and it's gone. Seeing the grid inside the screen really bothers me. I don't believe I have to be picky to feel that way.

When it is turned off? That bothers you? Better check your TVs for this unsightly grid when they're turned off. :)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
When it is turned off? That bothers you? Better check your TVs for this unsightly grid when they're turned off. :)

I checked my TV screen, laptop screens, desktop screens, Droid X screens, GPS screen, and Xoom display. Don't see anything remotely close to what I seen on the Acer tablet. It could be a defective demo unit at Best Buy. I'm going to take a look at the Acer again at another store.

Nascar Dog

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The Xoom has a honeycomb like grid that you can see under flourescent lighting.
The PlayBook has horizontal lines.
The iPad has a grid but very hard to see.

So, if you look hard enough, they all have visible lines.

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom has a honeycomb like grid that you can see under flourescent lighting.
The PlayBook has horizontal lines.
The iPad has a grid but very hard to see.

So, if you look hard enough, they all have visible lines.

It didn't take me much effort to see the grid on the Acer. Very easy to see.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
It didn't take me much effort to see the grid on the Acer. Very easy to see.

I'm looking at one right now... can't see it at all. If I hold it under a bright light with the screen off when viewed from the side, I see something, but nothing dramatic, and certainly not something I would consider even mentioning. It would be like complaining that my TV gets lousy reception when turned off. :)

This Acer is going back to the store when I get the transformer or maybe even the ipad2 (I am less convinced that Honeycomb is ready for prime time). I would never consider returning it for the reason you describe.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If he wants to take it back because he can see the capacitive finger digitizer grid when it's off that's his business. Can we please get back on topic?

-Suntan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet