Tethering the Transformer

davedontmind

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've just received my Transformer and am trying to tether it to my rooted HTC Hero (using android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting), but I'm having problems.

If I choose to use WiFi tethering, my Transformer doesn't see the Hero's WiFi, so there's nothing to connect to.

If I choose Bluetooth, I can pair the devices but end up with the status "paired but not connected", and I can't see how you can then use the paired phone for the internet connection.

How can I get tethering working?

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I've just received my Transformer and am trying to tether it to my rooted HTC Hero (using android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting), but I'm having problems.

If I choose to use WiFi tethering, my Transformer doesn't see the Hero's WiFi, so there's nothing to connect to.

If I choose Bluetooth, I can pair the devices but end up with the status "paired but not connected", and I can't see how you can then use the paired phone for the internet connection.

How can I get tethering working?

Have you successfully tethered any other wifi device to the Hero? If this is the first device you are trying to tether I would suspect the wifi settings don't match between the Transformer and the Hero. Check that the SSID and security settings on the phone (as a hot spot, not the settings to connect the phone to your home network via wifi) and the Transformer match.

Oh, and I hate you for getting a Transformer already. :p

davedontmind

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I finally managed to get Bluetooth tethering working.

After I changed the ROM on my Hero from VillainROM v13 (Android 2.1) to FroydVillain 1.7.2 (Android 2.2) I could then access the spanner/wrench icon in the Bluetooth settings on the Transformer and then I had an option to tether. This option doesn't appear if my Hero is running the Android 2.1 based ROM, so I'm guessing it's a 2.1 vs 2.2 issue.

WiFi tethering still doesn't work for me (yes, I've checked all the things you mentioned above - some other posts I've read suggest it's an ad-hoc vs infrastructure WiFi issue), but I don't really care as long as the Bluetooth tethering works.

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
I think Android in general doesn't support Ad-Hoc or something, and that's the reason the Transformer is not seeing the AP (same problem with my Xoom). I've found a Beta version of wifi-tether that works though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87