Asus vs Motorola Who will support their product better?

pjames6

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so the question that has been bugging me is Asus vs Moto, and who will take better care of their customers with things like updates. I know that when it came to my OG Droid, which i'm still using with CM7, Motorola kept the updates rolling pretty well. I've never owned anything by Asus so I'm not 100% sure what kind of company they are. I refuse to buy anything and have it turn out like the Samsung phones with no support ever coming from the manufacturer. I know I'm going to get a tab this summer for business/play and the transformer price is pretty alluring, but I trust Moto a bit more. What is the consensus on this?

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So far, Asus has provided two updates in a month to Motorola's one in two months. Asus is providing support for all the components in the Transformer (primarily the SD slot) where Motorola is not. And Asus has done the little things like enable desktop mode in the browser (which makes a HUGE difference) and screen capture.

Granted, the second Asus update was problematic for a handful of people, but even then Asus has been communicating with users over at the XDA boards and pulled the update once the problem was identified. They're working over the weekend to fix it and re-issue the update.

I'd say, Asus wins hands-down so far in my book. Oh, and it helps that I like the TF much more than the Xoom so far.

HappyFish

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Asus is well known for reliability.

I had a defective SD card on my droid x and motorola refused to honor the warranty. I had 16gb card and they said they can only send me a 4 gb card. Now I don't trust Motorola at all.

anon(18050)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Mind you, the two updates from Asus were relatively minor. I believe one of them was just a camera fix.

Moto may be well known in the phone industry, but Asus is a big name in the computer hardware industry. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people were using an Asus motherboard and never realized it. I've not had a Asus laptop, but have heard good things about them as well. They've been great at supporting/updating their hardware for PC's, I see no reason why they wouldn't take that support and apply it here.

Personally, I trust Asus much more than I ever would Moto.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
From XDA, here are the changelogs from the two updates. The first one was pretty significant:

26th April 2011 ('Update 2' screenshot):
-Build number: HRI66.WW_epad-8.2.3.9-20110423
-Kernel changed.
-Updated Wifi driver.
-Updated bluetooth driver.
-Fixed video camera stutter. ('Youtube' mode = 720p@30fps and 'High Quality' mode = 720p@27fps)
-Fixed 'speaker always on' issue.
-Minor bug fixes.

19th April 2011 ('Update 1' screenshot):
-Build number: HRI66.WW_epad-8.2.3.6-20110414
-Kernel changed.
-Updated Wifi driver.
-MyNet now in English not Spanish.
-@Vibe app moved to MyCloud.
-My Cloud has been added. Adds MyContent, Mydesktop, @Vibe. (requires a download from Asus site)
-Asus Web Storage added (windows version).
-Adds Splashtop Remote desktop for free. (Splashtop Remote desktop for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.) Works pretty fast via wifi, and just mirrors your desktop, as if you were using hdmi. Change the option from 1024x768 to 1280x800 for proper operation.
-Generally things feel a bit snappier.
-New MyZine widgets. (adds a slideshow of your pics, shows calendar daily notifications and weather in your location. Also shows last visited bookmark and last played song, email unread count, event count, stored ebooks counter)
-Green camera issue fixed.
-Asus Web Storage option added to sharing options menu.
-Added independant alarm ringer volume bar to settings.
-Added option to make any photo a contact photo from gallery.
-Market MyApps icons loading faster.
-Added Layar app.
-Compass fixed.
-Asus E-mail widget now shows an 'all accounts unread mail' total.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ask a Best Buy manager how good Asus branded computers have been for the past 5 years Asus has been under it's own name. About 80% of the computer models they sell are actually Asus motherboards. Look inside your own Dell, HP, or other computer and see if you don't already have an Asus.

Why does the Xoom cost 50% extra? Motorola does not make the Xoom. Foxconn makes the Xoom. That is Motorola's cut as the middle-man. Asus took out the middle-man and added in an ISP display and a working microSD card. Look at the other specs:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...n-chart-xoom-transformer-galaxy-touchpad.html

The keyboard dock is a bargain as it also adds a real SD card slot, doubles the battery life, and gives two real USB ports for a thumb drive, mouse, or whatever.

As to updates, Motorola promised a working microSD was coming back in January. Asus and Acer proved it was not an issue with Honeycomb.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams