EEE Pad impressions

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Transformer is one of the first wifi only honeycomb tablets. I received mine on Friday and here are my thoughts, coming from the ipad and ipad 2.

The build quality is terrific. The textured back is convenient for gripping the tablet. The bezel is thing and not too wide, meaning its perfect for holding the edges while watchng a movie or browsing the net. The Transformer isnt as thin or light as the ipad 2 but its about the same as the original ipad, which was just thin and light enough. Lets just say the weight and thickness is definitely not an issue, and i was more impressed than i thought it would be.

The screen quality is very good. It is bright enough and high res enough as well. Its pretty great. The Transformer uses the same IPS technology as the ipad, and I cant tell a difference.

This is my first experience with Honeycomb as well. No major complaints. It takes a little getting used to, but thats because its not exactly the same as android on the phone, like the ipad is exactly the same as the iphone. Not saying its good or bad, just different. The notifications system is excellent. Its nice that when i get a Words With Friends notification, that it doesnt interrupt everything Im doing and force me to click out to resume. Just a pop up in the bottom right. Love it. Overall i like honeycomb very much. It could use an update or two to improve the speed marketplace layout, and maybe small bugs here and there.

Its nice to have the option of using flash. You can run it on demand so the flash content doesnt load unless you want it too. This means you get all the speed of html5 like the ipad, and you get the versatility of flash when needed. Its nice to have options. Speaking of flash, the browsing experience is top notch. I love the tabbed browsing, it makes browsing so quick. I also like the Chrome sync, which syncs my bookmarks over the air.

Multitasking on the Transformer is very fluid. Once I got used to the multitasking button, i couldnt go back to the ipad way. When you press the multitasking button, you get a thumb view of your most recent apps, instead of just an app icon. The only thing i wish you could do would be to scroll down to see more than five recent apps.

The live widgets on honeycomb are really cool. I especially like the gmail, calendar and bookmarks widgets, where you can scroll through the content without even opening an app. Its a much easier way of getting information than actually opening the app.

The built-in apps like gmail, maps, and gallery are excellent. I instantly found myself actually using gmail like i do on the desktop, instead of having to manage on the ipads email app. You can do all the things you can do on regular gmail, like star, labels and more. Gallery syncs with picasa automatically, so i dont have to put any photos on the internal storage.

Polaris Office apps that come with the Transformer are surprisingly good. I wrote this whole review in the document editor. The MyNet app is a dlna client. I streamed my video from my mac to the Transformer without a problem.

There arent too many honeycomb apps available but more come everyday. The app that are optimized for honeycomb are mostly terrific and i have no doubt that more will come and they will be good as well. Even the non-optimized apps run decent. Its not like the ipad 2x mode at all. You cant even tell that some apps arent optimized in some instances on honeycomb.

I really like the Transformer. The 16gb version is only $399, and its not cheap on build quality. The reason I ditched my ipad 2 for the Transformer was mainly price, but I came away very impressed. Battery life is not an is not an issue. Been using the tablet for a good 5 hours and watched parts of a movie, browsing the web, and stand at 64%.. While the ipad still holds a slight edge for the average consumer, it is no longer a clear cut choice. If you want a cheaper tablet, yet one that doesnt disappoint, the Transformer is the one. Its good enough and there is so much potential in honeycomb, that i am excited to be a part of android on tablets, and this Asus is a winner.

Video to come.

Last edited:

Visual360

Dec 9, 2010
www.visual360photography.com
Good reading. Thanks.

One thing about the Asus, and this is really not a negative, but rather I find it odd that the SN number is a just a sticker, and the FCC thingy on the back. Makes me think they rushed the production of the device. I won't be surprise in the future that those things will be silkscreen eventually. Although, I actually don't mind, as I can take it off, and have a very nice clean looking tablet.

Oh, and I thing I missed on the Xoom is the LED notification light that the Transformer doesn't have.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would say its close to the ipad but it still feels android. It could use some more tweaking, but the differences between honeycomb and ipad not enough to really notice a lot.

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I was considering the EP121 but I think this tablet will do just fine for what I would use it for.

How is the screen as far as sensitivity? The last tablet I had was a nightmare as I had to really push the screen to get any response. It was a cheap Cruz tablet though.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I was considering the EP121 but I think this tablet will do just fine for what I would use it for.

How is the screen as far as sensitivity? The last tablet I had was a nightmare as I had to really push the screen to get any response. It was a cheap Cruz tablet though.

I looked at the EP121 as well, and nearly bought one but the 3 to 4 hour battery life made me back off. I think I'll wait for the second gen version once battery tech has improved. Sweet tablet though, especially once Intel has Android running on it's chipsets. Windows + Honeycomb on a 12" tablet would be pretty sweet imo.

Anyhow... as to the sensitivity, the pinch to zoom and scrolling in the stock browser is on par with the iPad. Honeycomb on the Transformer and Xoom surprised me after using 2.1 and 2.2 on some co workers phones. Honeycomb is not perfect, but it's by far my favorite mobile OS to date. Asus took the extra time to really put some polish on the Transformer.

All Honeycomb tablets are NOT created equal. Not only do you get a working SD card slot, standard UA (user agent setting) in the browser to view full desktop webpages out of the box. Plus a few added apps such as Polaris Office, MyNet and the built in File Manager. Some nice addon apps free from Asus.

Reactions: JohnyLunchmeat

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
How is it compared to a Xoom? I'm planning on buying one after they become available again. I've had a Xoom to try t out but took it back to see what other tabs would be like before I made a solid commitment.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How is it compared to a Xoom? I'm planning on buying one after they become available again. I've had a Xoom to try t out but took it back to see what other tabs would be like before I made a solid commitment.
s
I think its the best honeycomb tablet out. The screen is much better than the xoom in my opinion. it feelz much lighter as well. I also like the proprietary charging cord better than xoom, it doesnt feel like it is to snap off, it is much like the apple connector.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
s
I think its the best honeycomb tablet out. The screen is much better than the xoom in my opinion. it feelz much lighter as well. I also like the proprietary charging cord better than xoom, it doesnt feel like it is to snap off, it is much like the apple connector.

Those three things stand out as much improved over the Xoom. Really enjoying my Transformer and the polish that Asus put on Honeycomb really shine with this build. It's not a total change from the Xoom, but imo much more refined and "finished" feeling out of the box.

Some of my thoughts i posted up on Youtube.

Mickeylittle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Great video but no comments about Polaris Office? I would think that to be a nice feature not included by the other tabs. Of course I guess easily remedied by a few bucks!

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Great video but no comments about Polaris Office? I would think that to be a nice feature not included by the other tabs. Of course I guess easily remedied by a few bucks!

I'm going to post a video specific to Polaris once I am familiar with it. Once I get to work Monday and can load up some files and have a chance to actually use the app I'll get a much better idea of how it works. Just didn't want to open the app and fumble through it without knowing what I was doing :)

So far... it's very nice and works easily with MS office files, PDF's etc.. can't wait to get the KB dock and really have the ability to create documents. I'm very impressed so far with Polaris Office. Asus has their poo poo together with this thing.

Evo4g

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Those three things stand out as much improved over the Xoom. Really enjoying my Transformer and the polish that Asus put on Honeycomb really shine with this build. It's not a total change from the Xoom, but imo much more refined and "finished" feeling out of the box.

Some of my thoughts i posted up on Youtube.

Wow another Kansan! Where did you get your Transformer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool