Transformer v. Samsung 10.1

markstanco#CB

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Being that I can't typically log in to a website and buy in 3-5 minutes, I am considering waiting it out for the 10.1. Any positives or negatives that some of you know would be appreciated. I am not worried about the price, it will be a business expense.

However, I am not interested in a $800 tablet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

silvra7

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Judging from the limited edition release it has the same connectivity as an iPad, which is to say no Micro SD or HDMI. Everything is handled though a proprietary port/cable. I'm ok with the Asus doing charging and data through a proprietary port/cable but shame on Samsung for not having the other features. Definitely copying the iPad.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For all intents and purposes, Honeycomb is going to run the same on all of these tegra2 devices.

Therefore, it comes down to personal preference about the subjective features. Shape, size, weight, available ports, available keyboard dock, screen quality, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, a number of these things can?t be properly evaluated until you can play with the devices side-by-side. So if you are undecided, you should wait for them to become available. I?d put wagers that a person could find a Transformer and the Samsung at the same best buy within a week or so of the Samsung being released.

-Suntan

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
For all intents and purposes, Honeycomb is going to run the same on all of these tegra2 devices.

Therefore, it comes down to personal preference about the subjective features. Shape, size, weight, available ports, available keyboard dock, screen quality, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, a number of these things can?t be properly evaluated until you can play with the devices side-by-side. So if you are undecided, you should wait for them to become available. I?d put wagers that a person could find a Transformer and the Samsung at the same best buy within a week or so of the Samsung being released.

-Suntan

This is precisely why I'm waiting before I get an Android tablet. The only decision I've made is that I'm getting an Android tablet. Which one, is a toss up at this point since I want to try them out at a store before I choose one. Each of these tablets have "little" things that are pluses or minuses so it all depends on personal preference in the end. The OS will be the same in all of them, so at least that will be constant. :)

ysaykin

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
not all tegra 2 will run the same

Reviewers and people who have used most tegra 2 honeycomb tablets have noticed differences between these tablets, and it's wrong to assume that since the soc is the same they will run the same. I advise reading the reviews and looking at some benchmarks.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Reviewers and people who have used most tegra 2 honeycomb tablets have noticed differences between these tablets, and it's wrong to assume that since the soc is the same they will run the same. I advise reading the reviews and looking at some benchmarks.

So are you saying that you disagree with the advice to go and physically try them out in the store??

-Suntan

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So are you saying that you disagree with the advice to go and physically try them out in the store??

-Suntan

Suntan,

You seem like you are active in the forum which is great.... but why must you put
" -Suntan" under all your postings when your name on this forum is Suntan to begin with???????

Back to your regular broadcast..

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Suntan,

You seem like you are active in the forum which is great.... but why must you put
" -Suntan" under all your postings when your name on this forum is Suntan to begin with???????

Back to your regular broadcast..

I've been doing it for well over a decade. Back before free forum software offered robust search capabilities. Made it easier to find threads you were part of. I'll likely not stop anytime soon so if it bugs you, don't look at it.

-Suntan

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I think these units are really targeting two slightly different buyers. The Samsung is going for the buyer that wants a unit that is sleek, light, thin, more mobile, and not an iPad. The Transformer targets someone for who needs/wants the dock's capabilities. Someone who willing to put up with the slightly higher weight and bulk to get the docking and additional I/O capabilities.

I want the docking to allow easier use of creating data in business situations (emails, documents, spreadsheets, etc) and my photography hobby (view images and upload to a hard drive, etc). I view to the transformer as a netbook/tablet combination for creating content vs a standalone tablet which is more of a content consumption device.

FWIW, if I wanted something sleeker and lighter and more of an iPad killer I would wait and play with the Samsung 8.9. That unit is even lighter and thinner, and based on my experience with the iPad and Nook Color, the 8.9 screen may be the perfect size.

Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech