Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Ice Cream questions

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thinking seriously of buying this tablet, but I have a couple compatibility questions. First, if I buy this tablet, will I be able to add I/O later on? Second, can a honeycomb tablet run gingerbread apps?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Most people would say that, yes, the transformer will officially get Ice Cream when it comes out. But in reality, we don?t know if ASUS will send it out or not.

As for gingerbread programs, my experience with the Xoom (still waiting on my Transformer) was that only one 2.X program I tried didn?t run on the Xoom. The 7 or 8 others I tried did run just fine, even though they weren?t fully ?optimized? for the larger screen.

FWIW, there?s a sticky on the Xoom forum with a listing of the programs that are known to be ?optimized? for Honeycomb, it grows each day.

-Suntan

anon(18050)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's impossible to tell if it will get icecream or not. I see no reason it would not, and I would bet that it does. Even if Asus doesn't make the updates, someone will.

As far as apps go, mosyt apps work but not the greatest. You'll need to DL the Spare Parts app from the market and turn on compatability mode to get a few apps to run full screen. Others run decent enough, but will often have some sort of small UI problem.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

talco

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Honeycomb 3.1 for Transformer

Thought I'd share this since I just read it in Joanna Stern's review for the Transformer on Thisismynext:

"ASUS does promise the*Honeycomb 3.1 update*in June, but I still haven?t been able to test out the new software to assess how much better the experience really is."

Link to the review (which is great like all the other content on TIMN):

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101 review | This is my next...