Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default gorilla glass? maybe with scratches.

Screen cracked. I literally dropped it from about 6-9 inches on to my wood floor. Layingdown on my back playing with my son and i dropped it (he knocked it off my chest).

Barely noticable and totally functionable,but cracked.

Get a rubber housing or whatnot immediately!

Pics pls. I wanna see!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Its not that bad.

Sorry dude that sucks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

In all seriousness... here is the pic if you can see it.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Oh, and on my op.... i know layingdown is actually laying down. This spacebarsucks.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Spacebarsucks. See what i mean? Forking google get you act together.

Ouch. Don't Asus have some kind of replacement program even for accidental damage for a year? Thought I read that somewhere. I think its for notebooks, but tablets might apply.

Gorilla glass still vulnerable to edge impacts then

Well that blows. May want to try and return it. Wouldn't be so difficult if you bought it online and came shipped. Just claim it was damaged in transit.

On further thoughts, I wonder whether that is a maybe a manufacturing defect. The bezel should have spread out the force, and I really don't think falling on a flat surface it should break like that. Did it fall on the edge, or on the flat face?

(My experience is with both thick and thin Optiwhite toughened glass in a photographic context - had a few break in my time)
    J
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by pixelbat View Post
    Well that blows. May want to try and return it. Wouldn't be so difficult if you bought it online and came shipped. Just claim it was damaged in transit.
    All due respect, but I am a little more ethical than that.

tapatalkin' while driving fast in heavy traffic
    Narsil likes this.

I am sorry to see what has happened. I will have to get out as soon as mine arrives and find a case/cover for it.

Wonder when asus will have their nice case available here in the UK?

You have a few choices, someone one ebay will definitely buy it and you will most likely loose anywhere from 100.00 to 150.00 dollars. Or you can wait until ifixit disassembles one and see what can and cannot be replaced. I found out on my Xoom from ifixit that the glass is separate from the display and can be replaced. Or just live with it if no warranty exists. Good luck.

That would suck if that happened to me, I try to keep a death grip on ine if I,m carrying it.

Wow, that sucks. Are you sure the TF has Gorilla Glass? I've dropped my Droid X from about 6 feet onto concrete, and it didn't break.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdroid View Post
    You have a few choices, someone one ebay will definitely buy it and you will most likely loose anywhere from 100.00 to 150.00 dollars. Or you can wait until ifixit disassembles one and see what can and cannot be replaced. I found out on my Xoom from ifixit that the glass is separate from the display and can be replaced. Or just live with it if no warranty exists. Good luck.
    Yeah, according to ifixit, the Xoom is very easy to fix (as long as you don't mind removing about 50 screws). I'm kind of anxious to see what the TF looks like on the inside.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

Wow thats harsh, they advertise the glass to be so strong. I watched a video of thing testing some before and i thought it looked class.

Maybe its its only that strong when theres smaller amounts of the glass.
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by ragebunny View Post
    Wow thats harsh, they advertise the glass to be so strong. I watched a video of thing testing some before and i thought it looked class.

Maybe its its only that strong when theres smaller amounts of the glass.
    Most of the advertisements about strength are hitting the broad side with a hammer and the like. (or pressing it with a pen/nail) not dropping it on the edge.

Gorilla glass is VERY strong, but just like almost everything else, it has it's limits. Think of eggshells. Weak right? But cut the egg shelves in half and position the halves right, and they can support an adult standing on them. or, a diamond can cut glass, but you don't want to try hitting it with a hammer.

That's a fair point mt friend. I guess I got taken away by them advertising it as perfect :-P
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

To those that asked, yes it was an 'edge drop'

It doesnt bother me that much, but i will fix it when that is an option. I emailed Asus a few days ago....no response so far other that the autoresponder

I immediately bought a square trade warranty with accident (drop) protection when I received mine & had a 30% off coupon. I'm pretty clumsy with my gadgets. I've already dropped it twice. If anyone else has the same problem, you have 30 days to buy the warranty.
    lynette likes this.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I find worthavegroup.com a better insurance. 35 bucks for one year and no deductible.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pixelbat View Post
    No offense, but people like you are why costs keep going up. You come up with some BS reason as to why you didn't break it but someone else did to get it replaced for free. You need to start owning up to your own mistakes and pay for them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast