microSD & SD Kludge up!

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Is anybody else feeling that access to these is a complete kludge?

Most apps (eg Aldiko, ACV) don't seem to be able to access content on either, they just want to access the 'inbuilt' SDcard. Whats the point of having this wonderful degree of expansion if it isn't seamlessly accessible? Having to copy content from one to the other is a nonsense.

Anybody any ideas on whether it is likely to be fixed in 3.1?

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Is anybody else feeling that access to these is a complete kludge?

Most apps (eg Aldiko, ACV) don't seem to be able to access content on either, they just want to access the 'inbuilt' SDcard. Whats the point of having this wonderful degree of expansion if it isn't seamlessly accessible? Having to copy content from one to the other is a nonsense.

Anybody any ideas on whether it is likely to be fixed in 3.1?

Yes, everyone knows Asus jerry-rigged Honeycomb to make the MicroSD slot work. The workaround is not elegant, but it seems to have satisfied some people.

No, the 3.1 upgrade will not resolve the issue. The Xoom already has the 3.1 update, and the MicroSD slot still does not work. Since the Xoom is a Google Experience Device, it will surely get true Honeycomb MicroSD support before any other tablets that are already released.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, everyone knows Asus jerry-rigged Honeycomb to make the MicroSD slot work. The workaround is not elegant, but it seems to have satisfied some people.

No, the 3.1 upgrade will not resolve the issue. The Xoom already has the 3.1 update, and the MicroSD slot still does not work. Since the Xoom is a Google Experience Device, it will surely get true Honeycomb MicroSD support before any other tablets that are already released.

Remember when the Incredible first came out? It was one of the first Android devices with decent built in storage allocated for media and most applications couldn't read it properly since it was something totally new. Apps updated to see this.

Did Asus mess with some stuff to get the SD card to work? Yes. But when honeycomb officially pushes out support, the Transformer will get that too. And it seems like Asus is working pretty hard to keep neck and neck with Xoom when it comes to updates. The Xoom is a great device, don't get me wrong. But I don't see why you feel the need to go out of your way to proclaim it's "Superiority" because it doesn't include a feature yet.

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping it becomes seemless sooner than later. I note that the Asus apps seem to have a better time accessing the memory than the rest, not surprisingly :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz