Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nils Business GingerSense

Default Why Asus over Acer? opinions plz

I am going to buy a tablet sometime in June.
    I have been eying up the Asus and the Acer.
    I wondering what made you choose the Asus over the other tablets? Of course the price is great/
    Thanks,

1) As a OEM (well former, since moved on) I been using Asus products for building desktops for years, had the lowest RMA rate of any of my suppliers, by far. *big points here*

2) Keyboard Dock

3) Price Point

4) Very light skin touches (Xoom wins here)

5) HDMI out + all the other ports.

6) Working mSD slot *cough* xoom *cough*
    Vincent
    My first sci-fi novel is out and its free Details : The Enemy of an Enemy
    I just released my second novel! Details: The Academy

Asus 16GB Transformer + Dock - W00T! - Not Rooted
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted

I like my TF for its flexibility. The keyboard works well and the option to use it as a netbook or as a tablet is what made me select it.

That said, if I had no desire to get the keyboard, I would have chosen the Iconia. Itís more comfortable to hold and it has that full sized USB port on the side.

Honestly, screen-wise the two arenít that far apart.

-Suntan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    ROM

I have no use for the keyboard,
    All of my pc build are Asus as well as my laptop, they have always made great products, that doesn't mean they cant make a cheap product.

Dev support and future custom roms is a big factor for me as well, I enjoy flashing custom Roms on my Dinc and getting rid of bloat. So Im left wondering about the dev rom support, any input?

thanks

I would hazard to guess that the ďcommunityĒ support will be bigger for the TF than it will be for the Iconia.

Unfortunately, once the thin Samsung releases, Iím betting then Iconia sales go down hill. The TF will keep selling because of the keyboard, and because itís the cheapest.

-Suntan
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

xoom is only way to go.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    xoom is only way to go.
    thanks for your opinion, but why is it worth so much more then the Asus or Acer?
    What does the Xoom do better or what does the Xoom do that the others cant?
    Trying to justify the additional cost.
    I do know the Xooms cpu is slower and older

thanks

Be sure to consider the Samsung, unless you need the keyboard.

Fwiw, the keyboard is great. It turns the asus into a full up netbook and content creator

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch_Itch View Post
    Dev support and future custom roms is a big factor for me as well, I enjoy flashing custom Roms on my Dinc and getting rid of bloat. So Im left wondering about the dev rom support, any input?
    thanks
    Yea, I agree with this point, but I think it will be strong for the TF, and Xoom, and possibly the Samsung. Time will tell.
    Vincent
    My first sci-fi novel is out and its free Details : The Enemy of an Enemy
    I just released my second novel! Details: The Academy

Asus 16GB Transformer + Dock - W00T! - Not Rooted
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted

Asus:
    Better screen hands down (I returned my Acer)
    Way lighter
    Dock option
    Stock Widgets are nicer
    Better battery life
    Price
    Acer:
    Better touch screen responsiveness (I have to really jab my asus sometimes)
    Flash on back camera
    USB port
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

FOR one its same processor on all 3 same speed. and I even overclocked at 1.6 can't do that and be stable om other two. better support faster updates. price I get tired of hearing xoom is to much. I have a 32GB and have my 32GB card working tablet I paid 560for. also plastic vs metal metal cosy more. I picked up all 3 and love the feel of my xoom.
    thanks for your opinion, but why is it worth so much more then the Asus or Acer?
    What does the Xoom do better or what does the Xoom do that the others cant?
    Trying to justify the additional cost.
    I do know the Xooms cpu is slower and older

thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

To the OP, just research all options before you make a dission. By now you should be able to test drive all model's at retail stores and broaden the selection even further come June 11th when Samsung 10.1 will launch. You're in a better boat then any early adoptor, take that advantage. As for me I love the xoom.
    Last edited by sonofdroid; 05-27-2011 at 09:52 AM.

If i had to choose, i would go with the Xoom.

Build quality is big in my book. Even if it cost extra.

I have great respect for our Android development community and value the opinions of these developers. I don't make my decisions solely based on them but it does tell you the direction where the devs are going.

Off of MoDaCo's Twitter...

PaulOBrien Paul O'Brien ✓
    Bought a Transformer over an Acer Iconia A500? Good choice, the Acer seems to be well locked down...

Asus has shown that they will support the device, as an update has already been pushed out for both the tablet and keyboard. There is supposed to be another firmware update coming for the tablet. That alone was a big factor for me, since there was no previous record to base off of for Asus in Android. The new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 sounds great, although Samsung's track record isn't stellar in terms of OTAs. I'm not sure about Acer's reliability pertaining to OTAs, but with some research I'm sure you could find out. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

I based my decision mostly on weight and the screen. The Iconia weighs a ton. The price helped. I really loved the idea of the full sized USB but it was not enough to sway me. I REALLY wanted the new galaxy tab until I realized there is no expandable storage - deal breaker.

Although I loathe dongles, I foresee Asus putting out an adaoter to I get from their poprietary port to USB in - or at least they should.

I too am not interested at this time in the keyboard dock. But that might change as I am a habitual net book user.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdroid View Post
    To the OP, just research all options before you make a dission. By now you should be able to test drive all model's at retail stores and broaden the selection even further come June 11th when Samsung 10.1 will launch. You're in a better boat then any early adoptor, take that advantage. As for me I love the xoom.

Still not one Transformer on a retail shelf within a hundred miles of here. Asus, your product is not so great that people won't move on when the next batch of tablets come out. Horrible, horrible U.S. launch. I would have rather have had to pay $550 up front then to have to hunt for a dock for less than $300.

I guess then you couldn't claim to have the cheapest 3.0 tablet.
    Wow....My Asus tablet just Transformed into a netbook right before my eyes!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    ROM

So Im now leaning towards the Asus.

Is there any real need for 32gig or is the 16gig more then enough?

Im thinking if i keep the tablet clean 16 would be ok, not sure tho,
    What have you guys bought or recommend?

again, thanks to all for you input

Hitch

The 16gb should be fine. If you need more space just pop in a micro SD card. That's is what's cool about the transformer. Plus the screen is beautiful. I love mine.

Get the Xoom and avoid all the problems that the TF is having. Xoom is a Google Experience Device. Motorola worked very closely with Google to build it, and it will always be the first to get updates. Look at the Nexus One, another Google Experience Device. It's running Gingerbread while new phones are still being released with Froyo. Trust me, the Xoom is the one you want. Walmart is selling the Xoom for $569, and the build quality more than justifies the $70 price difference.
    Motorola Droid Bionic 4g LTE - Motorola Xoom Tablet 4g LTE
    And yes, the SIM card from the Bionic works great in the Xoom!
    Frugal Nerd Tinkerer

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted, leaned out stock

Quote Originally Posted by under999 View Post
    The 16gb should be fine. If you need more space just pop in a micro SD card. That's is what's cool about the transformer. Plus the screen is beautiful. I love mine.
    I agree - buy the 16 - set 30 bucks aside for an SD card - take 70 Bucks and buy a case or half of an out of stock keyboard dock lol. Played with the xoom - nice device but i like my tf more - that's why I bought it and not a xoom. Also I really do not see the better build quality - I may be off base here but the tf feels great in my hands.

In the end opinion is opinion but there is nothing that I have seen that gets me from 400 for the tf to even the 569 sale price on the xoom - heck for that price you could have the tf and the dock.

Of course, you are asking this question on a forum for tf owners so there may be a little bias
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by freeky1 View Post
    Get the Xoom and avoid all the problems that the TF is having. Xoom is a Google Experience Device. Motorola worked very closely with Google to build it, and it will always be the first to get updates. Look at the Nexus One, another Google Experience Device. It's running Gingerbread while new phones are still being released with Froyo. Trust me, the Xoom is the one you want. Walmart is selling the Xoom for $569, and the build quality more than justifies the $70 price difference.
    The Transformer starts at $400. It should also get 3.1 next week, and the SD card slot works.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

So Im now leaning towards the Asus.

Is there any real need for 32gig or is the 16gig more then enough?

Im thinking if i keep the tablet clean 16 would be ok, not sure tho,
    What have you guys bought or recommend?

again, thanks to all for you input

Hitch
    I couldn't justify the 32GB when you can get uSD cards to slip in the side of it so easily.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Here in Canada, I can easily pick up the acer but I am waiting for the trasnformer. It sold out again in stores in Toronto.

I am going for the Asus for its keyboard, flexibility and price.

Sent by this droid
    Rooting comes with great power & great responsibilities.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

I got lucky and got a 32G TF for only $449...It was a return, they complained of a dead pixel, but I and the store techs are unable to locate it. Thinking it was a buyers remorse... So far I'm loving it. Just need my keyboard dock..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast