Potential buyer with some questions

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
So I'm considering buying the Transformer, but had a few questions first. I'm not a fan of the iPad because it's quite literally a giant iPod touch, same OS and all, and I don't feel like that's what a tablet should be.

I'm extremely familiar with Android, having gotten a G1 on day 1 and having used Cyanogenmod since one of the first releases. I now have a Vibrant on Bi-Winning V3.

The first, and most important, is there any way to use 3.1's native USB host functionality without the dock? I really want a tablet but don't want to have to spend an extra $250 just to be able to use USB accessories with it (Not to mention I don't want/need the dock).

The second is how quick and smooth is it? I've heard mixed things, and every single Honeycomb tablet I've seen has lag issues with ordinary day-to-day use, even with things like switching between home screens. How prevalent is the lag?

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
$250 for the dock?

Bundled in UK they cost, what, ?50, roughly $70.

If you're not sure whether you want the dock or sure you don't want one, I'm unclear why you would consider the transformer. Surely the Iconia would be better, with it's onboard full size USB. For me, I wouldn't buy a 'tablet', which still seems an expensive exercise in futility, when other devices can do stuff better (that's where I'm coming from). I only have this as it can effectively replace my netbook, and do duty as a tablet as well.

I find it's mostly in the dock, since if I'm sitting at any flat surface eg table, the dock holds the tablet in the correct position for viewing, leaving me to use the touchscreen without having to support the weight of the tablet.

I have no lag switchng between homescreen, but I do find that tapping (rather than swiping) is much quicker, as either no transition effect is applied, or it's a very quick one.

I think the hardware of the tf is as good as it gets / needs to be, but it is the software that needs development.
Hope this helps.
Jon

flacoff

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
There will be an accessory that will allow you to plug in a USB device without the need of the dock. I think it's be around $30 (my guess). El Goog search for asus official accessories.

lag: better in 3.1, HD youtube is working fine. noticeable? not that bad, not a deal breaker.

is it quirky sometimes? do things force close sometime? yes, but if you familiar with android then you know nothing is perfect.

I just prefer the TF as it has a limited amount of skinning, Asus has proven they can get updates out timely, the form factor is nicer than the Xoom.

FYI, samsung 10" comes out in a few days to make your decision even harder.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If I were you and wanted a USB host with little desire for the keyboard, I?d get the Acer Iconia and be done with it.

-Suntan

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The first, and most important, is there any way to use 3.1's native USB host functionality without the dock? I really want a tablet but don't want to have to spend an extra $250 just to be able to use USB accessories with it (Not to mention I don't want/need the dock).

Dock is only $149 MSRP, if your paying $250 you are getting ripped off. The dock is a big part of the appeal of this tablet. Another big part of the appeal is the nearly-pure android experience, and the fast updates. Not as fast as Xoom, but much faster then Samsung (still on froyo I hear...) Tablets. The greatest CON to this device is the lack of USB on the tablet itself, but I expect an adapter to be made that will address this.

Personally, I picked this device because of the dock. It is what makes this tablet stick out among the crowd really. Do not forget the dock is also an extended battery.

The second is how quick and smooth is it? I've heard mixed things, and every single Honeycomb tablet I've seen has lag issues with ordinary day-to-day use, even with things like switching between home screens. How prevalent is the lag?

I have no complaints with this. Sure some apps (LOOKING AT YOU WORDS WITH FRIENDS!) FC or do not handle the form factor well (YEA YOU WORDS WITH FRIENDS!), but you run custom rom's so you must be used to some quirky apps. Generally the OS feels smooth and stable and does great on battery life.

Over all I feel its the best tablet on the market currently, and doubt that will changed in the next 6 months. The screen is beautiful, but I would not bother using it outside.

Coming from the Nexus One, the OS is a bit different then Froyo or GB. Things are not where you may have come to expect them, and menus behave differently. Takes a little getting used to, but not bad. I like it better actually, makes more sense.

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Whoah, I have no clue where 250 came from; I meant 150.

The thing is, I've heard some bad things about the Iconia and its build quality, and I had a bad laptop experience with them. I honestly haven't read up on it as much as I should have, though.

My thing is, I want a tablet that's about $400, not $500, hence why I'm probably not getting the Tab, not to mention it doesn't have a micro SD port.

Again, I just want a tablet that I can use mostly for showing off pictures, browsing the web, and doing some very basic productivity stuff without having to use my laptop every single time I want to look something up.

Is there any confirmation on the USB port accessory?

Edit: Damn, the Iconia doesn't have the IPS display. =/

Last edited:

mrumm49

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I just love my Asus Transformer! I bought the 32gb Patriot micro (class 4) for 49 bucks (after rebate) at Frys and I still think it's on sale. Put all my pics on that and works great. I like the idea there's no clumsy flash drive hanging out of the tablet. The micro is well hidden and pics and movies work just fine. The whole idea of the Transformer is to work in unison with the keyboard docking station. What a great idea from Asus! With this you can hook up so many memory options while it keeps the tablet charged longer also. Eat your hearts out Ipad owners!!!

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Can someone enlighten me on the difference between the TF101-A1 and the TF101-B1? Thanks. Was considering the galaxy tab until it was confirmed there is no sdcard slot and nor am I impressed with samsung's speed on updates.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I love my TF - haven't heard any thing definitive about the Asus port to USB adapter but I have heard that some people are having luck with so e limiitd accessories like mice and thumb drives by using a double female USB adapter with the included sync cable - plan to try this soon myself just for thumb drive access in a pinch.

I currently just carry one of the small micro sd to USB adpters on my leyring and if I really need a thumb drive I just pop out my microsd card and use it in the adapter as the drive. Has worked fine so far all two times I have needed it.

I am glad I chose my TF over the iconia, but they are both nice machines. In the end the weight and screen quality did it for me. That iconia weighs ALOT

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I just love my Asus Transformer! I bought the 32gb Patriot micro (class 4) for 49 bucks (after rebate) at Frys and I still think it's on sale. Put all my pics on that and works great. I like the idea there's no clumsy flash drive hanging out of the tablet. The micro is well hidden and pics and movies work just fine. The whole idea of the Transformer is to work in unison with the keyboard docking station. What a great idea from Asus! With this you can hook up so many memory options while it keeps the tablet charged longer also. Eat your hearts out Ipad owners!!!

I have a portable notebook already, I don't need the dock. I'm not planning on writing word documents on it, I just want a supplement to the notebook, and some other features that I'll only get with the tablet. I keep a lot of pictures on my 64GB flash drive that's on my keyring, and it's more convenient to plug it into a tablet than boot up the laptop and go through there to show them off.

A and B is just 16/32.

The Iconia is nice, but I really want the Transformer's screen/software with the Iconia's hardware. Overall, it seems like the Transformer is a much nicer tablet, though; the only thing from the Iconia I really want is that really solid body and build quality.

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Depending on your use case, your portable notebook can probably be replaced with the TF/dock. I know I have a 15"MBP which I can't get rid of for processing photos with Capture One, but the netbook just has no usage any more.

I'll tell you one thing; on a 'working throughout the day' basis 12+ hours of battery life is very handy compared with much (or indeed, very much) less battery life of a netbook / notebook. Android is just so slick and slim compared with Windows, and I suppose also Linux, which my netbook is running.
Jon

Reactions: Guticb

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't replace the netbook. I use Sibelius and Finale (Music notation software) on a daily basis, and as a Music Education major, I still have to use CDs a lot.

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
In a way that simplifies your choice. Either you buy a 'straight' tablet which frankly is little use to man nor beast at the present time (other devices you have can do it's tasks better), or you can sit and wait a year and see what goodies emerge in both hardware and operating system and software.

I'm still of the opinion that the TF (sans keyboard, but with a usb adaptor (come on asus)) is probably still the best, and best value for money at the moment.
Jon

Reactions: Guticb

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I love your username.

Second of all, that's probably what I'm going to go ahead and do. Get a transformer, hope they release a USB adapter, complain to them until they do, and enjoy the Transformer for what it is... that is, if I don't get a defective one...

jon_stewart

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, and lol!
It is actually my real name, but handy for hiding in the web due to my namesake.

Enjoy your transformer when you get it. I'm sure they will have improved quality control!
Jon

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
That's handy!

I will!

I forgot to mention, another reason I need a separate device to browse the web sometimes is because I run a lot of full-screen-only programs that have an annoying tendency of crashing when I alt tab, which I need to do every once in a while to look something up.

Looking stuff up on my phone or ipod touch is a pain in the ass sometimes, and it's better to get a transformer than another laptop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney