Docked or Undocked? How do you roll?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, for those of us that have obtained both the tablet and the keyboard dock, how do you spend the majority of your time?

Personally, I find that I use the dock more when sitting in the livingroom with my feet up on the ottoman. I would have thought that I would have preffered the tablet by itself in this situation, but the keyboard is just nice to use. That said, the ability to rest it directly on top of a blanket and not worry about cooling vents getting blocked thus cooking the CPU makes it much more convienent than my laptop.

Most of the other time (moving around the house, reading the news on the crapper, sitting with my son watching youtube videos, etc.) I prefer to go tablet only.

I'd say 60% w/o, 40% w/ keyboard dock.

You?

-Suntan

ShadowCatcher

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably using 80% with the dock & 20% without - although I find myself using the dock just to 'hold' the tablet. In other words, I seem to use the touch screen more often than the dock for input. I can open the connected dock and tab to whatever angle I want for lap or table use and it will stay at that angle. The extra weight (which I don't mind) helps anchor it in place. I also find the SD card or USB handy for transferring downloaded files to my other computers. Glad I got the dock (especially since I managed to snag it on sale for $127.49 with shipping).

sookibong

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd say 75% of the time I'm using the dock, which is far more than i anticipated. It appealed to me for occasional heavy typing as well as usb host functionality, but I found that it's convenience as a stand and full set of features are even more appealing. For instance, I often wonder which action is more desirable; using the trackpad/shortcuts or just tapping the screen. And the heavy use means that I have it nearby all the time and I sometimes find myself carrying the tablet and the dock separately when I move to another part of the house. I'm sure I'll get into some kind of groove, but I can't help but feel a bit encumbered by the dock right now.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I sometimes find myself carrying the tablet and the dock separately when I move to another part of the house. I'm sure I'll get into some kind of groove, but I can't help but feel a bit encumbered by the dock right now.

Obviously, the solution is to get 2 or 3 of them and put them about the house. ;)

-Suntan

rsay

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am using the dock quite often in the evenings. I like using it for texting with my friends. For me, the dock blows away the soft keyboards. If I'm surfing the net, listening to music or playing games, I go tablet only. I have also been taking the tablet to my kids baseball games and swim meets without the keyboard. I am interested to see how my usage patterns will evolve over the next six months.

I don't think if I have ever enjoyed a new tech gadget more than the transformer. I am ordering another transformer for my spouse, but we haven't decided whether to share the dock or order a second one. We'll try sharing at first and see how it goes.