Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By liquidxit2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Splashtop remote

Fyi
    I sent the developer an email about connecting from outside your network. He responded as follows:
    Hi, Terry:
    Thanks for your interest with Splashtop Remote.
    It's not easy to do it now. I can provide you with two samples:

I don't suggest you to do this. One reason is that it's really not easy for common user to finish that network setup.
    Another reason is that we are woring on new function which support 'visit from anywhere' without any network setup. Please be patient waiting for new version update.

--
    Best Wishes,
    Splashtop Remote Support Team

Hopefully, soon.
    Terry

I will give it a try. I have not been able to get my Home computer from work (or the other way around) yet.

It's a real shame that I have to install their streamer app. On the iPad, splash top uses the native rdp server. Additionally when trying to connect it does so, but displays a garbled screen.

So far the app has not worked in the least for me :/

Worked fine for me with a simple port forward in my firewall, and I connect with VPN before I can even do that much on my setup.
    Vincent
    My first sci-fi novel is out and its free Details : The Enemy of an Enemy
    I just released my second novel! Details: The Academy

Asus 16GB Transformer + Dock - W00T! - Not Rooted
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
    Worked fine for me with a simple port forward in my firewall, and I connect with VPN before I can even do that much on my setup.
    Same for me, working fine

Works well for me locally (havenít gotten around to trying it outside of my LAN.)

Biggest issue Iíve had so far was having to remember the password I set up when the IP of my server changed and I had to put it in againÖ

I do wish it would support a monitor res of 1920x1200 natively. Dumping the desktop res to 1280x800 when the tablet connects screws up the shortcuts on my PC.

-Suntan

Yeah. Mine works now. Just had to add the port forwarding rule. TOO COOL!!! I love how the sound is streamed back to the tablet. Now if they would allow the desktop to stay at a larger resoulation so that the desktop stays correct if would be perfect. I guess though for free (with the TF puchase) I can't complain.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

If all you need is an unsecured remote access to your desktop just use VNC. Stable and works well. Can even run it over an SSH tunnel if you want to install and configure cygwin.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
    bestoverall likes this.

No luck on my side. Locally works perfect but not from outside my network. I've setup port forwarding and made sure that the firewall allowed Splashtop. Tried disabling my Antivirus as well and nothing works. I'm stucked.

Does 1280x800 work or might that be why my session is garbled?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by yaaah_hoo View Post
    No luck on my side. Locally works perfect but not from outside my network. I've setup port forwarding and made sure that the firewall allowed Splashtop. Tried disabling my Antivirus as well and nothing works. I'm stucked.
    Join me in waiting for the update.

Make sure your router has a public ip address from your modem. Thats what got mine working from outside the home network.

Quote Originally Posted by under999 View Post
    Make sure your router has a public ip address from your modem. Thats what got mine working from outside the home network.
    How can you check that? I checked my external ip by going to .

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

How can you check that? I checked my external ip by going to .
    That website shows your public IP. What you need to do on your router is whats called a port forward. You open a port to a set IP through the router to allow the protocol to work from point A to B.

The IP you need for the router port forward is the private IP for the computer youre trying to remotely connect (typically 192.168.X.X) and the port of the protocol uses. Once you have that setup then the path you your computer is open for the application. The "whatismyip" is to give you the IP address to create a remote connection outside of your network.

Now if you need to check your IP on windows it depends on which version you have. But this way works for all modern windows:

On the computer youre trying to open up:
    -Click Start
    -select run or if windows 7 click in the search box
    -type "cmd" (no quotes)
    -type "ipconfig" (again no quotes)

Look at the output and youll see IP addresses that are private that youll need to use for the port forward.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxx View Post
    That website shows your public IP. What you need to do on your router is whats called a port forward. You open a port to a set IP through the router to allow the protocol to work from point A to B.

The IP you need for the router port forward is the private IP for the computer youre trying to remotely connect (typically 192.168.X.X) and the port of the protocol uses. Once you have that setup then the path you your computer is open for the application. The "whatismyip" is to give you the IP address to create a remote connection outside of your network.

Now if you need to check your IP on windows it depends on which version you have. But this way works for all modern windows:

On the computer youre trying to open up:
    -Click Start
    -select run or if windows 7 click in the search box
    -type "cmd" (no quotes)
    -type "ipconfig" (again no quotes)

Look at the output and youll see IP addresses that are private that youll need to use for the port forward.
    Thanks but I thought it was something else. I've already done all that. That's just your internal IP from the computer you're trying to forward the ports to.