I just got my Asus EeePad Transformer and I have a few words.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I got it today from Amazon. It is the 32Gb model and got an Micro SD card, 32 Gb as weell. I have seen/read many complains but as always, more posts are complains because if you are happy with your purchased, most of the time posts are not written.

Well, I got it out of the box and plugged it in to leave it at least 8 hours as said in Manual. Meanwhile, I was playing with it and notice light bleeding by the bottom right but this does not bother me, it is not that bad. I have my Samsung monitor and a HD Samsung TV and both have some light bleeding as well.

Like a minute after plugging it, I got a notification that an upgrade needed to be installed. I just waited a few minutes to use the tablet before upgrading. Everything was working great, Wifi, browising, and flash sites were loading fast.

Decided to do the update and then I was not able to use wifi, and when I was able to connect to internet after a few minutes, pages were loading pretty slow and downloading from the market was taking to long. I decided to do a factory reset and everything returned to normal again. Wifi very fast as well as loading flash sites.

So far so good, I have no complain about it so far.

-Solid construction, no noisy back as some people said
-Smooth screen
=Fast browsing, even with flash
-Honeycomb 3.1 working fine.
-Youtube playing movies just fine.

I should be getting the dock in two days, let's see how it goes by then.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
You'll love having the dock, it's like having a netbook and a tablet.. I've already got the 32G transformer, and dock, and had to get my wife the 16G transformer, her dock is on backorder right now.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I used to never do this but with my last few devices o have done hard resets out of the box and have been much happier with seemingly less bugs.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
One thing that I noticed and people are talking about is the sound. Speakers are ok but could be better. Most of the sound comes out of the speaker on the right and you cannot miss it. About sound quality, I believe it is not the best and I cannot compare because it is my first tablet. Hopefully the sound problem (one speaker louder from the other) will be fixed in the future with a software upgrade.

Imtravis, I believe I will, no doubt.

mknollman123, it is the best thing to do even though I know some times is a pain, mostly when you have many apps, files, and passwords already set up.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
@Kronko:

Which update were you having problems with? Was it a market update, Flash update or Honeycomb update?

I had problems when updated from Honeycomb 3.0.1 to 3.1. Was not able to connect to wifi and when it did, the speed browsing was way too slow, and same to download apps from Android Market. I decided (I do this with my cell phones as well every time there is a firmware upgrade) to do a factory reset and everything went back to normal.

Now, I hope the find a way to fix the two speakers problem, one way louder (right) than the other.

kareden

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the 32gb Transformer and Keyboard Dock running 3.1 Honeycomb. I have used my TF practically every waking hour since I got it around Memorial Day. I got the Dock the first week of June.

I would say that I am a 95% happy camper but there are some annoyances that have not gone unnoticed: (1) the lag when typing on the keyboard dock is noticeable. I read in the forums that lag was a problem, but the hope was that it would be addressed in 3.1. So far, not so much. There is improvement when I use the DolphinHD browser. it is almost unbearable when using the stock browser. I really hope this is addressed in another firmware update; (2) the speakers are definitely on the "low-talker" side. I don't think mine are unbalanced as others have reported, but adding a set of portable speakers doesn't do much to improve the sound at all. I wonder if this underperformance is due, in part, to combining the mic and headphone into one port?

Anyway, I am hoping that Netflix gets their act together sooner rather than later so that I can watch my streaming queue on my tab. It would be nice to have a decent audio experience when that day finally arrives...Love my Transformer and the fact that it "transforms." The keyboard lag/speaker issues just mar (a little bit) what has otherwise been a stellar experience so far. Oh well, what the heck - nothing's perfect! :)

Last edited:

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
One thing that I noticed and people are talking about is the sound. Speakers are ok but could be better. Most of the sound comes out of the speaker on the right and you cannot miss it. About sound quality, I believe it is not the best and I cannot compare because it is my first tablet. Hopefully the sound problem (one speaker louder from the other) will be fixed in the future with a software upgrade.

Imtravis, I believe I will, no doubt.

mknollman123, it is the best thing to do even though I know some times is a pain, mostly when you have many apps, files, and passwords already set up.

I believe this is a build issue. Some people have returned the device due to this and received one where the balance is evenly split.

People are also using volume+ (it's free at the developer's site but $.99 in android market) to remedy the quietness.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I believe this is a build issue. Some people have returned the device due to this and received one where the balance is evenly split.

People are also using volume+ (it's free at the developer's site but $.99 in android market) to remedy the quietness.

Thanks h00ligan, I installed volume+ like 2 hours before you posted it. It is ok, not much of a difference but I do not want to go too high in the settings, just in case.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you likecthe Transformer. I had my eye on one since launch. I ended up buying an Acer Iconia instead only because I was taking a vacation and wanted a tablet and the Transform was no where to be found. Overall the devices are very similar and I'm not regretting my purchase. I still haven't got the 3.1 update yet but that's supposed to be a couple of weeks away and not that big of a deal.

qitupx

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the 32gb Transformer and Keyboard Dock running 3.1 Honeycomb. I have used my TF practically every waking hour since I got it around Memorial Day. I got the Dock the first week of June.

I would say that I am a 95% happy camper but there are some annoyances that have not gone unnoticed: (1) the lag when typing on the keyboard dock is noticeable. I read in the forums that lag was a problem, but the hope was that it would be addressed in 3.1. So far, not so much. There is improvement when I use the DolphinHD browser. it is almost unbearable when using the stock browser. I really hope this is addressed in another firmware update; (2) the speakers are definitely on the "low-talker" side. I don't think mine are unbalanced as others have reported, but adding a set of portable speakers doesn't do much to improve the sound at all. I wonder if this underperformance is due, in part, to combining the mic and headphone into one port?

Anyway, I am hoping that Netflix gets their act together sooner rather than later so that I can watch my streaming queue on my tab. It would be nice to have a decent audio experience when that day finally arrives...Love my Transformer and the fact that it "transforms." The keyboard lag/speaker issues just mar (a little bit) what has otherwise been a stellar experience so far. Oh well, what the heck - nothing's perfect! :)
My transformer had the same slow wifi issues right after the 3.1 update but the next day it worked fine. I actually got two of them and in one of them the speakers seem a lot louder than on the other, the back doesn't have a slight movement on the left side. As for the laggy keyboard, switch to the built in gingerbread keyboard if you have yet to. The asus one is crap.

jlarrysr

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had my transformer for about a month and I loved it. I do find the speakers very much lacking but hope to remedy that with Bluetooth surround sound headphones for movies and games, specifically Onlive once it's available for Android tablets :) I also own the dock and love it though I wish that you could adjust the mouse sensitivity, it's very fast, a little too fast, and I like fast pointers. I was consideringa Chrome book or Xoom until I stumbled upon this and couldn't be happier. ASUS does need to step up their game with accessories, the included, proprietary cable , is about a foot long and their aren't any quality cases or covers to be had. Im 99% satisfied with the device itself, the price is killer, just bring on the accessories please!

BB_On_Tour

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had mine for about a month as well. I think the quality of the hardware is great. I was actually looking for a netbook as i really wanted a keyboard and this exceeded my expectations. I am a huge fan of android phones so honeycomb was pretty natural for me. I have no issues with speaker balance or slow wifi etc.

The one problem i have been trying to solve is closing the tablet while docked seems to shut the music/sound off while using headphones. I would like to be able to listen to music but the device goes into sleep mode. This might be solvable but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Overall, love it. Have an upcoming trip and will bring the transformer exclusively...

wyzepro

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Greetings,
I'm going into my third week with my 16gb. I love it. Using moboplayer for movie watching as it plays pretty smooth and has invisible screen gestures so I don't have to hit menu or stop the movie to adjust brightness,volume,scrubber etc.. Fedes music player looks gorgeous and plays really well with the interface. Reader HD is my google reader of choice. Dolphin HD plays the nicest in terms of overall desktop/laptop feel when docked. I have a screen cover on it that I cut to size from a larger sheet. No fingerprints or high glare now makes the screen look deeper and richer and now that I am not looking at my own reflection or fingerprint smudges its even more enjoyable to interact with. Down side- no Netflix, Opera mobile doesn't support flash, Random reboot ( watching this one close and hoping it's just an upgrade away from not being an issue as I have heard several owners having the same problem. Any of my fellow autobots (c'mon we HAVE to claim that one right?) having this issue?

BUNK

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had my TF for over a week now. Got it from B&H. I love the hardware but I am a bit upset with how long it's taking some of the software people to update their software to the tablets. There are at least 3 apps that I use all the time on my EVO 3G that have not yet been ported over to the TF. I'm assuming that is true for most of the tablets.

h00ligan

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks h00ligan, I installed volume+ like 2 hours before you posted it. It is ok, not much of a difference but I do not want to go too high in the settings, just in case.

Well, fwiw, there are transformers that don't have this sound balance issue and sound just as loud from both sides.

julez

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I just received my Transformer from Newegg on Monday. I think it's a great tablet, but there are a few flaws or things that I like better on my iPad, the acer tablet or the xoom.

First is just a known issue with Honeycomb 3.1, the reply to an HTML email with any sort of apostrophe uses the XML code instead of HTML code to produce the apostrophe. It works fine if you're responding to plaintext emails or anything of that nature. But this is across the board for Honeycomb tablets running 3.1. There are a couple other Android quirks like Netflix and Marvel being stupid, but outside of that everything is at least on par to better than the other tablets available.

Specifically with the Asus tablet, I am going to have to return mine as mine had a manufacturing defect where the casing around the dock port is actually bent outward causing the casing to separate from the screen to a very small extent. Most people probably wouldn't even give it the time of day, but I'm one of those people where damnit I just bought this it needs to be perfect, if I dented it, that's another story, but if I've not touched it yet, then it needs to be fixed :)

Another issue I have specifically with the Asus tablet is my screen feels more grippy than say a Motorola Xoom or an iPad, your finger doesn't slide across the glass as well. Of course if I go with a screen protector this will all be negated, but just kind of odd that the feel of the glass would be different even between it and the Xoom.

The last one would probably be the port selection, not that it matters, but I think a microUSB port would be nice to have, again not a huge deal, I also like microHDMI better than the miniHDMI it has on it. I understand the need for the dock port since the keyboard is an option, but I always love the microUSB charging option :)

But lets put it this way, once I get my returned tablet back, it'll be replacing my iPad which will be eBay'd or sent to Gazelle. The no Netflix sucks, but... meh I can live without it.

4cdndctn

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
My dock never worked, didn't even charge (itself nor the Transformer). I was not particularly pleased with how Asus handled the situation, but I'm not doen with them yet. :cool:

erhovie

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My dock never worked, didn't even charge (itself nor the Transformer). I was not particularly pleased with how Asus handled the situation, but I'm not doen with them yet. :cool:
I had the same issue. My dock worked fine for 3 days, then died. I also had the 32 GB tablet and it's a cheap plastic piece of garbage. The back flexed and the screen and bezel were separated and the light bleed was from 4 spots. I liked the concept, but the QA and support from Asus made me rethink my purchase. I have since returned my Transformer and bought a Xoom instead. The build quality is much much better and there is more dev support. All in all, the extra battery life with the dock is not needed IMHO for most people to put up with the crappy build quality.