Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Hi,
    I've have what I believe is a quite common problem and I've tested some of the solution I was able to find, but still had no luck.
    My Transformer (just unboxed, Android 3.0 OS) finds my wireless network but when I try to connect it keeps saying "connecting..." but it never really does. Also, curiously enough, when I try to connect the network signal drops to "very poor" (even if I'm next to my modem).
    I've tried connecting to other open and private networks and it worked fine.
    I have a Sitecom WL-118, my network is set to DHCP, encrypted with WPA and isn't filtering MAC or IP addresses.
    I'll welcome any suggestions!
  2. #2  
    liquidxit2's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxav View Post
    Hi,
    I've have what I believe is a quite common problem and I've tested some of the solution I was able to find, but still had no luck.
    My Transformer (just unboxed, Android 3.0 OS) finds my wireless network but when I try to connect it keeps saying "connecting..." but it never really does. Also, curiously enough, when I try to connect the network signal drops to "very poor" (even if I'm next to my modem).
    I've tried connecting to other open and private networks and it worked fine.
    I have a Sitecom WL-118, my network is set to DHCP, encrypted with WPA and isn't filtering MAC or IP addresses.
    I'll welcome any suggestions!
    Have you tried deleting the network and recreating the connection? Sometimes this cures things.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
  3. #3  

    Default

    I have the same problem with my home wifi. In my case, turning wifi function on and off seems to work. If all fails, restarting the unit seems to be the only solution.
  4. #4  

    Default

    I think in that case then, its either still your router or a malfunction with your tab.

    I've had zero WiFi issues, at home, at work, at friends, etc.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    I already tried deleting and recreating the connection or rebooting the router but nothing worked.
    Actually I turned off all the security and my tablet did connect, so the problem is likely in my router (I had no problems with a different secured network). Do you know how I could fix it? I mean, I'd like to restore my protections (I used WPA-PSK authentication with AES encryption). Channell is set to 11 if it matters.
  6. #6  

    Default

    I had this very thing happen initially when I got mine (try to connect then show no signal.) I didnt have my SSID broadcasting and even though I went in and created the network connection to that SSID, it would behave like that.

    After I turned on SSID broadcast on my router the TF hopped on without an issue and has been a good little wifi-er ever since.

    -Suntan
  7. #7  
    imtravis's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I had this very thing happen initially when I got mine (try to connect then show no signal.) I didnt have my SSID broadcasting and even though I went in and created the network connection to that SSID, it would behave like that.

    After I turned on SSID broadcast on my router the TF hopped on without an issue and has been a good little wifi-er ever since.

    -Suntan
    I installed an app called Hidden SSID enabler that seems to work for me.. (and it's free).
  8. #8  
    liquidxit2's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    Remember not broadcasting a SSID is just a pita for you and is not a security measure. You can still find the AP.

    As for hiding it that may cause an issue with accessing it. I would try making it broadcast like sun did, change the frequency channel and go from there. Sometimes the "security" features in SOHO routers are more of a hinderance to the legit user then a security system.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
  9. #9  

    Default

    try going into the router settings. click on the wireless settings section. click on the setup access list (even though you will not be using this). make sure that the box that says "turn access control on" box is unchecked. if there is a check mark in it, you will need to add the tablet to allowed devices list to make it work...even that i not hard to do, just add the mac id to the allowable devices.
  10. #10  

    Default

    There's definitely something "hinky" about the wi-fi rig. I must turn mine off then on when I return to the house. It won't find the router during a scan until it has been cycled.

    TerryB
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    There's definitely something "hinky" about the wi-fi rig. I must turn mine off then on when I return to the house. It won't find the router during a scan until it has been cycled.

    TerryB
    Same here. I can connect fine at work, then when returning hope I usually have to enable then disable airplane mode to reset the wireless, then it connects fine. After a few hours though (usually when the device is in standby), the wireless says it's still connected, but the signal strength is grayed out. The rest of the device and apps think it has an internet connection, but no pages/content load. I do the airplane mode shuffle again, then all is well for a short while.

    Pretty frustrating in general.

    Any thoughts/suggestions?
  12. #12  
    liquidxit2's Avatar

    Posts
    738 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    There's definitely something "hinky" about the wi-fi rig. I must turn mine off then on when I return to the house. It won't find the router during a scan until it has been cycled.

    TerryB
    I dont have an issue with mine. I go from work to home back to work and dont have to make any changes. It just picks up on the different SSID/AP and keeps on ticking.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default

    I still have my network set to open to allow the connection with my TF101. By the way, I disabled the SSID broadcasting but the connection isn't affected at all. Actually ACL is disabled as well.
    I think that my (old) modem is the real problem, so it's not big deal.
    I'll give it a couple more tries over the weekend and let you know.
  14. #14  

    Default

    It seems that after *****in' about it, it worked fine this afternoon.

    Time will tell.

    TerryB
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxav View Post
    Hi,
    I've have what I believe is a quite common problem and I've tested some of the solution I was able to find, but still had no luck.
    My Transformer (just unboxed, Android 3.0 OS) finds my wireless network but when I try to connect it keeps saying "connecting..." but it never really does. Also, curiously enough, when I try to connect the network signal drops to "very poor" (even if I'm next to my modem).
    I've tried connecting to other open and private networks and it worked fine.
    I have a Sitecom WL-118, my network is set to DHCP, encrypted with WPA and isn't filtering MAC or IP addresses.
    I'll welcome any suggestions!
    Apparently Android has problems with 802.11n with a hidden SSID, despite routers multiband capabilities. Once you are sure the network info in your Android device has the exact SSID entered correctly, try changing your router to G-only with hidden SSID and see if that helps. I've tested with a multitude of Android devices running 1.6, 2.1/2, and 3 with success.
    Thanked by:
    tjomac 
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    It depends upon which password is being used when the wifi connection on the tablet is being set up. If the Windows log-on password is used, the wifi connection setup has not been completed. When one tries to modify the connection setup, it will show (unchanged) against Password. This is because the Home Networking Router WEP Key is to be input as the password, not the windows log-on password.

    I too had the same problem. My Home NW SSID would show up with full signal strength but would drop to negligible when I set up using the logon password. The wifi option would show "Obtaining IP address..." but would never connect. It would connect if I did not enable the Wireless Network Security in the "Configure the Wireless Network" screen of the Home Network but would again drop the moment this option was enabled. I realized that the password being required was the WEP key as is usually required when setting up new devices/computers on the home network.

    Please give a try and let me know. It should work fine and
    Thanked by:
    tjomac 
    tjomac likes this.
  17. #17  
    surfmly29's Avatar

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock on all

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Hi all,

    Older thread but figured I would add here vs. starting new one. I just unboxed my TF and have not been able to connect to my dlink dir-655 router at home since turning the TF on. I have tried SO many things I am about to just return the TF as I am so pissed off. To be clear, the TF connects to my rooted Droid Inc 2 hotspot without issue (using WPA security). It sees my home network, but will not connect. I have never had any wifi device not be able to connect to my dlink router (iphone, droid phones, NookColor, laptops, PS3, etc). I can't believe Asus and Dlink are having issues here.

    I am hoping someone with a dlink can provide some thoughts on their settings (that are working of course). I have tried rebooting everything, channels (all 11), different WPA settings (and no I won't remove the security and have open network, so doesn't really help to try it without it, especially when it works fine with the hotspot using WPA), etc. Nothing works or changes anything.

    Would love to keep this TF but will return it if can't figure this out soon. May try an Iconia a500 to see how it fairs. I was on the fence between these two tabs anyway so if one connects to home network without issues and one doesn't that may be the deciding factor....

    Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!!
  18. #18  
    surfmly29's Avatar

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock on all

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Well, well, well... some success....

    I had MAC address filtering on my router. Never messed with that as I added the TF's MAC address first thing. Figured I would try turning off the MAC filtering and try it. Lo and behold, it connected right away. Browsed internet, email, Market, all good. I set all my wireless settings back to the default on the browser to see if those would work (mainly setting things to 'auto' again to just keep it clean and easy for other devices to connect, but did keep channel on 11). That worked as well.

    I know MAC filtering is not that strong (pretty easy to spoof a MAC address if needed), but figured it would help keep less tech savvy folks from jumping on my network. So I wanted to see if I could keep it working with the TF now that it was connected. Instead of adding MAC manually, I used the option to add one of the currently connected dhcp clients to the MAC address list (note, yes the MAC address I was using was identical to the one brought over from dhcp), turned on the filtering and kept an eye on the TF. Connection appeared OK. However, didn't appear to allow me to connect to internet any longer. Tried few things, but appears to only work with MAC filtering turned off.

    I may be OK with this, but not really happy that dlink and Asus can work together. Can't say it is the TF or not, as I have not tried to connect to another router with MAC filtering (and my hotspot from mobile phone didn't use it). Will try and test that, but figured I would add details here in case it may help others.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Quote Originally Posted by surfmly29 View Post
    Well, well, well... some success....

    I had MAC address filtering on my router. Never messed with that as I added the TF's MAC address first thing. Figured I would try turning off the MAC filtering and try it. Lo and behold, it connected right away. Browsed internet, email, Market, all good. I set all my wireless settings back to the default on the browser to see if those would work (mainly setting things to 'auto' again to just keep it clean and easy for other devices to connect, but did keep channel on 11). That worked as well.

    I know MAC filtering is not that strong (pretty easy to spoof a MAC address if needed), but figured it would help keep less tech savvy folks from jumping on my network. So I wanted to see if I could keep it working with the TF now that it was connected. Instead of adding MAC manually, I used the option to add one of the currently connected dhcp clients to the MAC address list (note, yes the MAC address I was using was identical to the one brought over from dhcp), turned on the filtering and kept an eye on the TF. Connection appeared OK. However, didn't appear to allow me to connect to internet any longer. Tried few things, but appears to only work with MAC filtering turned off.

    I may be OK with this, but not really happy that dlink and Asus can work together. Can't say it is the TF or not, as I have not tried to connect to another router with MAC filtering (and my hotspot from mobile phone didn't use it). Will try and test that, but figured I would add details here in case it may help others.
    The TF doesn't support tun.ko by default which is needed for almost any advanced network management like MAC filtering or VPNC. A Dev on XDA crosscompiled a tun.ko for our TF but his link seems to be broken so I have included a .zip of the same file but you will need to read the thread for the step by step install which you will need root and a root explorer to complete. Hope this helps.

    [DEV] Tun.ko - xda-developers
    Attached Files Attached Files
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Hi guys this topic has been very useful to me, much appreciated. However I need advise, I am wanting to use my tablet to browse files and stream media content from my hardrives to my tablet. I ma not sure which application would be the best to download. Please assist with advising me here. My biggest challenge is the transfer of files being such a mission with the cables, I would like to alleviate this problem by transfering files and streaming media content (videos / movies/ music / and /or other files) directly to my tablet.

    I have a samsung galaxy 10.1v with 3.0.1 version of honeycomb. Any assistance in this regar will be highly appreciated - thank you in advance.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglerking View Post
    It depends upon which password is being used when the wifi connection on the tablet is being set up. If the Windows log-on password is used, the wifi connection setup has not been completed. When one tries to modify the connection setup, it will show (unchanged) against Password. This is because the Home Networking Router WEP Key is to be input as the password, not the windows log-on password.

    I too had the same problem. My Home NW SSID would show up with full signal strength but would drop to negligible when I set up using the logon password. The wifi option would show "Obtaining IP address..." but would never connect. It would connect if I did not enable the Wireless Network Security in the "Configure the Wireless Network" screen of the Home Network but would again drop the moment this option was enabled. I realized that the password being required was the WEP key as is usually required when setting up new devices/computers on the home network.

    Please give a try and let me know. It should work fine and
    You are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!! I have a Droid Razr and a DIR-825 router and I have tried everthing for over 14 days, resetting my router to factory defaults, different security, returned a really great phone, (new phone screen not good), this worked perfectly! Thank you, thank you!!!!!!

    Verizon tech didn't get this, Motorola didn't get this.

    Tammy
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    I had this issue too. Excellent to good signal strenght until trying to connect to my secured home network and then the strength would drop dramatically and the tablet would try to connect unsuccessfully and repeatedly until I stopped it. The solution was unbelieveably simple. I had been entering the NETWORK PASSWORD when asked. As soon as I entered the NETWORK KEY instead I was almost instantly connected. Thought I'd share to perhaps save someone else the aggravation.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Thank you. I had tried everything suggested on several sites. Your common sense solution worked like a charm.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Pls i'm still confused. you said u had been entering the network password instead of the network key. please what is the network key and how can i know it??
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless network

    Hello, i am having a similar problem..i recently bought a android phone and i cant connect to my router (I have a Linksys WRT120N) ..anyway i have tried to get my phone to connect to my wi-fi but whenever i try it just says "Authenticating..." the whole time and doesnt change , every few seconds it flashes "Saved, secured with WPA2" in between but thats it..anyway i went on the site where you manage your router and i saw that my MAC filtering is turned OFF, so i dont know why i cant connect Any answers would be apprecheated if send to my email [email address removed] because i often forget to check forums for replies..please help and thanks
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 07-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions