1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default More apps for Honeycomb?

Is there any news on Netflix or Skype Alps for tabs?
    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: More apps for Honeycomb?

Short answer would be no....

Neflix and Skype however have both shown they are willing to develop for android. They have been releasing updates for more and more devices, I would say just be patient. As more people adopt Honeycomb more developers will come.

Fragmentation of devices isn't helping. Not that choice is a horrible things but it does make things more difficult from a developer's standpoint.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

The problem is honeycomb isnt completely open source. I would love to see both apps on my tablet (really only waiting for netflix). Netflix is the only thing the ipad has over our heads right now...My moms brags about it here and there and I think is the only reason why she still has the ipad (and sentimental value as it was a present).
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxx View Post
    The problem is honeycomb isnt completely open source. I would love to see both apps on my tablet (really only waiting for netflix). Netflix is the only thing the ipad has over our heads right now...My moms brags about it here and there and I think is the only reason why she still has the ipad (and sentimental value as it was a present).
    I only want what my Evo has: Netflix and Skype with video. Even webOS has Skype now.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    I only want what my Evo has: Netflix and Skype with video. Even webOS has Skype now.

While google has been a bit screwy on what they allow with HC, I am a bit upset that netflix hasn’t released on more devices. I mean its not like Android has the lions share of the market...oh wait it does!

I know the fragmentation of UIs is probably whats holding development up, but it shouldn’t take this long. Plus if its the UI fragmentation then why does your evo have it and my identical evo shift not have it? Definitely something fishy over at netflix IMHO.

As for skype, well they have been weird for a few years now sadly.

The fact that tablets dont have these 2 applications is insane! They are meant to replace laptops and/or netbooks and should be able to use common apps like these. Plus there is zero UI fragmentation with HC.
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxx View Post
    While google has been a bit screwy on what they allow with HC, I am a bit upset that netflix hasn’t released on more devices. I mean its not like Android has the lions share of the market...oh wait it does!

I know the fragmentation of UIs is probably whats holding development up, but it shouldn’t take this long. Plus if its the UI fragmentation then why does your evo have it and my identical evo shift not have it? Definitely something fishy over at netflix IMHO.

As for skype, well they have been weird for a few years now sadly.

The fact that tablets dont have these 2 applications is insane! They are meant to replace laptops and/or netbooks and should be able to use common apps like these. Plus there is zero UI fragmentation with HC.
    Well speaking purely on the lack of a Netflix app I don't think it's as much of a fragmentation issue as it is a DRM issue. Netflix has shown a willingness to develop for Android and I think it's only a matter of time until they get all the kinks worked out.

Speaking for the lack of tablet apps I think that's a symptom of multiple issues. Slow emulation from the Android emulator is hindering app development, fragmentation of tablets, and the fact that most apps on android that were developed for phones are serviceable on tablets. On IOS apps that are developed for the iPhone look terrible on the iPad.

Hopefully the Galaxy tab helps Honeycomb get more penetration in the casual market. I wish they had priced it even $10 lower than the iPad being that they are so similar more people will probably just grab the iPad if faced with the decision in store because that is the more familiar brand.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by rsix View Post
    Well speaking purely on the lack of a Netflix app I don't think it's as much of a fragmentation issue as it is a DRM issue. Netflix has shown a willingness to develop for Android and I think it's only a matter of time until they get all the kinks worked out.

Speaking for the lack of tablet apps I think that's a symptom of multiple issues. Slow emulation from the Android emulator is hindering app development, fragmentation of tablets, and the fact that most apps on android that were developed for phones are serviceable on tablets. On IOS apps that are developed for the iPhone look terrible on the iPad.

Hopefully the Galaxy tab helps Honeycomb get more penetration in the casual market. I wish they had priced it even $10 lower than the iPad being that they are so similar more people will probably just grab the iPad if faced with the decision in store because that is the more familiar brand.
    Whatever is causing the netflix delay its frustrating. Why does an identical phone on an identical carrier have the app but my phone does not? Same carrier, same version of android, both use sense UI, both have the same 800x480 resolution and both have very similar hardware (doesnt matter as both are running off the same kernel therefore system calls should be the same). Makes no sense to me.

As far as the emulator goes I cannot comment on that as the last emulator I messed with was a 2.1/2.2 and it was dog slow. I have used a few apps on my TF tablet that look kinda weird as they fill what looks like a phone screen size and the rest is just black, but Im ok with that as the apps I use there is only 1 that acts that way. As far as development goes just make the UI scalable. While Im not an android developer I would think this shouldnt be too terrible as they have had to scale apps for low end phones that run much lower resolutions then their top tier counterparts. Granted 800x480 vs 1280x800 is a slightly bigger jump it still should be doable. I cannot comment on iOS apps designed for the iphone/touch running on an ipad.

I agree with your last statement. People buy apple because its easy and works. Cant deny that in the least. If a layman was given the choice between an android or ipad its much easier to see the saturation of the ipad vs the samsung and would be a no brainer. I dont even think said buyer would even know the difference of android or iOS let alone if such a device as the samsung galaxy tab even existed.

ROM
    Stock

The current emulator build is crap. Especially compared to the IOS emulator... I don't blame developers for not wanting to use the emulator and for not wanting to purchase every device out there to test their apps. Hopefully Google fixes this, and soon.

Netflix has a DRM issue with the chip manufacturers (I believe). This reminds me of the old adage that DRM only really hurts consumers that are doing things the right way, not the pirates. DRM is just plain annoying period. Still crossing my fingers Google buys Hulu so hopefully we can see a better implementation of that on our devices.

As far as scaling is concerned the only issue with that would probably be the size of the app. If you have ever seen the comments on any pop cap game in the Amazon Market people do not like having to use a wi-fi connection to download apps to their phones. This is purely speculation though, maybe it is easy to scale the size and we just haven't seen much of it because there isn't enough demand for it.

I'm just going to continue crossing my fingers that Android gets more penetration in the tablet segment. Demand for tablet apps will take care of a lot of our current issues. But lets face it, these issues are basically the same whenever you are an early adopter of technology. Ask Nexus users how the early days of Android were, I'm sure there were similar complaints.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Yeah DRM is like gun control. It only limits and hurts the legit people. As for chips the Evo and evo shift are near identical, the only real difference is that one uses an older snap dragon and the other uses a gen 2 snap dragon.

As for market share yeah iOS is dominating by ALOT. Granted thye are expecting android to cut pretty deep into the market over the next few years but theorists think that iOS will dominate into 2015. I honestly disagree. Look how android took over the smartphone world and histroy will show that the domination was alot faster then 4+ years. I foresee things becoming pretty even by mid to late 2012 with the fever pitch that android tablets are coming to market. Possibly even sooner. Android has become a household name and many are flocking to the little green dudes camp in order to drink the coolaide we have.

ROM
    Stock

Here's hoping you're right! I can only hope a Google branded tablet will come out with Ice Cream Sandwich. Google can afford to price their tablet cheap at a loss to gain market share for Android.

As long as people are buying from their market and using Google services like Search and Google + they could come out ahead in the long run. Tablet users buy more expensive apps and they have more screen real estate to advertise to.

If I was an executive at Google I'd be making a big push to put out a polished 16GB tablet out at somewhere in the $350 price range. Or if only they could bundle free 3G with their Tabs (Think Kindle). I know neither of these will happen but it's going to take a new line of thinking to beat the iPad in the consumer market.

Quote Originally Posted by rsix View Post
    Here's hoping you're right! I can only hope a Google branded tablet will come out with Ice Cream Sandwich. Google can afford to price their tablet cheap at a loss to gain market share for Android.

As long as people are buying from their market and using Google services like Search and Google + they could come out ahead in the long run. Tablet users buy more expensive apps and they have more screen real estate to advertise to.

If I was an executive at Google I'd be making a big push to put out a polished 16GB tablet out at somewhere in the $350 price range. Or if only they could bundle free 3G with their Tabs (Think Kindle). I know neither of these will happen but it's going to take a new line of thinking to beat the iPad in the consumer market.
    Long term, Google doesn't gain by alienating all its manufacturing partners. Which is would happen if they released a tablet at a loss. Further, Google isn't in business just to provide us with below cost gadgets.

-Suntan

ROM
    All devices rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post

I agree. Finding I use my EVO more than the TF, simply because it does more things better.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Long term, Google doesn't gain by alienating all its manufacturing partners. Which is would happen if they released a tablet at a loss. Further, Google isn't in business just to provide us with below cost gadgets.

-Suntan
    Well with the fee M$ is going to start charging some OMEs for android use it may need to happen to push android forward. After reading about the fee I fear that android may take a hit as it eats into an already small profit margin.

I owned the first Gen iPad and it was great. Where the I pad has the advantage is in the app market. The quality of apps can't be matched yet on android. The browser experience is better on android tabs though. The one thing I was very impressed by on the I pad and most apple products is the attention to detail and quility. The iOS is like a well oiled machine.
    Now that I've switched to android tablet Im just hoping its just a matter of time before they get things on track. 3.1 is still buggy.