Will factory reset in recovery delete the internal storage?

Karl Eriksson

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!
I have a question that is bugging me. There is a lot of info on the net about full wipe hard reset etc. but all devices are different. Here's my question:

I have sold my used Asus fonepad and did a factory reset in recovery mode along with installing the original Asus rom before I sold it. I installed the original rom in download mode since it was rooted before by me and the customer wanted it "out of the box" with no root. I followed the instructions of this site: http://www.hard-reset.com/asus-fonepad-hard-reset.html . Seemed legit.

Now with the phone sold I got paranoid. The site above says that all data is wiped with a factory reset but other sites (describing general android and samsung devices) states that factory reset won't delete data on the internal storage. The whole internal sd card/internal storage vs. external sd card makes me confused, but I guess we are talking about different partitions on the harddrive when we talk about system as well as the "internal sd card". That is at least what I can understand when searching the net. Please correct me if necessary.

I am afraid I sold my fonepad with private data not entirely sure everything was deleted. Does anyone know? Do I have reason to worry? I did the factory reset with the device rooted and then unrooted the device if it matters. Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone!
I have a question that is bugging me. There is a lot of info on the net about full wipe hard reset etc. but all devices are different. Here's my question:

I have sold my used Asus fonepad and did a factory reset in recovery mode along with installing the original Asus rom before I sold it. I installed the original rom in download mode since it was rooted before by me and the customer wanted it "out of the box" with no root. I followed the instructions of this site: http://www.hard-reset.com/asus-fonepad-hard-reset.html . Seemed legit.

Now with the phone sold I got paranoid. The site above says that all data is wiped with a factory reset but other sites (describing general android and samsung devices) states that factory reset won't delete data on the internal storage. The whole internal sd card/internal storage vs. external sd card makes me confused, but I guess we are talking about different partitions on the harddrive when we talk about system as well as the "internal sd card". That is at least what I can understand when searching the net. Please correct me if necessary.

I am afraid I sold my fonepad with private data not entirely sure everything was deleted. Does anyone know? Do I have reason to worry? I did the factory reset with the device rooted and then unrooted the device if it matters. Thanks!
Generally speaking, a factory reset will not erase data stored on the internal or external sd card. This data must be manually erased by formatting the sd cards.

Some updates, when applied through download mode, can erase the internal sd card; However, this varies from device to device and what type of update, or stock ROM, is being applied.

I would respectfully as the buyer to erase the internal sd card if they have not already done so. Also, consider changing passwords to services you used on that device, i.e. bank apps, email services, etc, as a precaution.

You should be OK since the sd card (internal) is typically used to store app data (cache), downloads and files that you specify to be stored here.

Karl Eriksson

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
What a great answer. Thanks! The buyer was 50 year old lady. I don't think she is the hacker kind of girl, you know - but still. I did try to format the sd card in setting > storage but maybe this just affects the external? Should I hook it up to USB and then just delete all files form my computer?

Would photos by default be stored in the internal memory?

newb101

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm a COMPLETE noob to phones (that's why I signed up) and I was wondering if factory reset will affect e.g. photos if you haven't bought a SD card yet… and I can't exactly get past the lock screen on my phone at the moment so that's why I must factory reset. Is it possible that internal storage on my galaxy s4 will be permanently deleted?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781