ASUS FONEPAD screen goes dark while being used as a phone

Fonepad user

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Dear All,

I have been using the Asus fonepad for almost three months now. It is really good.

The only issue that I am facing that whenever I am using it to make a phone call or receive one the screen goes dark (completely dark) after one minute and therefore It prevents me from using the keypad in case I have to press some buttons to get into a company or a bank. (when you are listening to this recorded messages asking you to press number one for example of get through to a certain department).

Can you please help me how can I stop the screen from getting dark?

Thanks a lot in advance.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Almost all phones do this, it's a feature so you don't press on screen buttons with your face! The phone should wake up and display when it is pulled away from your face. :)

Fonepad user

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rich,

I think that you mean the proximity sensor. However, I do not think that this is the case here. As the screen still is dark even after the call has ended and even if I am using the speaker so I am not having any contact with the screen while I am talking.

Top1ost

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
[Solved]
Dear, I faced a problem with my Fonepad where the creen becomes black during phone calls (and keeps black after the end of call) and I fixed it:
At first I tried a number of Android apps to let the screen keep on during phone calls but none of them worked...
What I did (step by step) is that i opened the Fonepad (you can watch videos about how to open for example, the google nexus 7) it is preferable to use a thick card to avoid causing scratches... Thereafter unscrew the main board (5 small screws), after that, draw (UN-attach) the wire which connects the power and volume buttons on one hand and the electronic board on the other hand (you can easily distinguish this wire from the others). Thereafter, pull gently a little bit the board to locate another small board behind it (containing a proximity sensor). This small board is located directly to the left of the camera and it is attached to the big one by only one screw, remove it (the small board) completely from the Fonepad, and locate a very small lamp in it (for the proximity sensor), remove completely the lamp (by breaking it from its bottom using for example a thin screw driver). Finally, return everything else as it was and the screen will no longer turn black during phone calls because of the proximity sensor. Please be careful during the whole process in order not to cause damage especially to the sensitive parts.

Last edited:

Top1ost

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
[Solved]
Dear, I faced a problem with my Fonepad where the creen becomes black during phone calls (and keeps black after the end of the call) and I fixed it:
At first I tried a number of Android apps to let the screen keep on during phone calls but none of them worked...
What I did (step by step) is that i opened the Fonepad (you can watch videos about how to open for example, the google nexus 7) it is preferable to use a thick card to avoid causing scratches... Thereafter unscrew the main board (5 small screws), after that, draw (UN-attach) the wire which connects the power and volume buttons on one hand and the electronic board on the other hand (you can easily distinguish this wire from the others). Thereafter, pull gently a little bit the board to locate another small board behind it (containing a proximity sensor). This small board is located directly to the left of the camera and it is attached to the big one by only one screw, remove it (the small board) completely from the Fonepad, and locate a very small lamp in it (for the proximity sensor), remove completely the lamp (by breaking it from its bottom using for example a thin screw driver). Finally, return everything else as it was and the screen will no longer turn black during phone calls because of the proximity sensor. Please be careful during the whole process in order not to cause damage especially to the sensitive parts.

Last edited:

kinged33

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. But that seems a lot of work. Can't you just push power button to turn the screen back on?

[Solved]
Dear, I faced a problem with my Fonepad where the creen becomes black during phone calls (and keeps black after the end of the call) and I fixed it:

nickwilsonRM

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, as did a friend with exactly the same phone. Our solution was easy... and obvious at the end of the day... We had both bought "generic" covers for our phones, you know the ones that can go on any 7" tablet. Then one day I saw the original Asus cover on sale, I bought it, and the problem went away!! It might mean dishing out an extra 31? but it solves the problem, and it is easier than disconnecting wires, etc.

Nick

AAgbns

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
hi friend

I too have an ASUS phonepad, and I too had the same problem, I found a solution on my own it was very simple and easy ...

Just remove your small back cover of your ASUS phonepad (which you use to remove to insert the sim and sd card)

now try calling from your ASUS phonepad... and it should work!!!! :)

If it solves the problem, just let me know.. I shall tell you, a simple modification have to be done on the back cover before you fix it back to the phone.

No need to buy a "generic" cover, or disconnecting wires, etc.

your friend

Nic Nik

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes please I did the same thing and it worked, i.e. removed the cover it worked fine. Can you please tell me the simple modification that needs to be done on the cover?

Thank you and best regards.

Nik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34