Thoughts on the Asus MeMo Pad

illage2

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Even though I've only used the device for a day I am happy with it. Just so you know I'll be comparing this a lot with the 2012 Nexus 7 and some other tablets.

?129 is damned good value for a 7" tablet. The MeMo Pad performs like a dream, I've not had any crashes or slowdowns yet, this was a problem with my (2012) Nexus 7, which was much more expensive.

It has apps pre-installed but unlike samsung's 7" tablet the apps are actually useful. I won't be going over all the apps, just the ones I've used.

• Audio Wizard
    Audio Wizard is amazing at managing different sound modes, there are 6 different sound modes to use. My main problem is that it doesn't work when there are headphones plugged in, which to me defeats the entire purpose of using these settings.
  • Buddy Buzz
    Buddy Buzz works well as a social media client, but it doesn't support Google+, and when trying to login to Facebook with it... well the login screen would crash. As a replacement for a dedicate Twitter and Facebook app ... I wouldn't say they are.
  • File Manager
    This tablet has a built in file manager that is easy on the eyes, and easier to use than the default Android file manager. Unlike normal Android Asus has chosen to use a lighter design, it is a lot easier on the eyes, but I would have liked to turn the design into a darker theme so its better to read at night.

The MeMo Pad also has a 5MP HD rear camera and a camera on the front, while the Nexus 7(2012) has a camera on the front it lacks a rear facing camera. The camera quality on the back is somewhat rubbish but it does have a panorama mode and other standard features that you would expect. The camera can shoot 1080p video so its something you can use for YouTube videos.

Hardware wise the MeMo Pad sports an Arm Cortex A7 1.2GHz Quadcore CPU, 1GB RAM, which is why there is smooth performance.

Battery life is also very good, at over 9 hours it'll serve you well throughout the day, hell even at only 32% battery I had about 4 hours left. Which is impressive, so I won't need to be charging the battery up constantly like I had to with my Nexus 7. If you want to make it even longer the MeMo Pad has an app built in for this purpose so you can optimise your battery life further

As for the display it has a resolution of 1200x800, with a DPI of 213, text on this tablet is crystal clear, and the screen also automatically adjusts brightness based on the app your using which is one of the reasons the MeMo Pad has such good battery life.

It also has an SD card slot allowing you to expand the storage and make use of that excellent file manager, which I think is something the Nexus 7 could have used.

One major problem with this tablet is that it doesn't have Android 4.3, it uses Android 4.2.1 which is a bit strange as this tablet is a fairly recent release, still most of the apps I've purchased do work so its not that big of a deal for me.

If your looking for a lower priced but decent 7" Tablet then the Asus MeMo Pad is for you. You can pick one up from PC world for only ?129, and there are also several different colours to choose from.

What do you all think of the MeMo Pad HD7?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice review! With regard to Android 4.3, it's still only available on a few devices apart from the Nexus devices, so it isn't that surprising that your MeMO Pad came with 4.2.1. Asus has historically been good about updating its devices for a reasonable duration, so it's a good bet that the MeMO Pads will get 4.3 relatively soon.

redfishsc

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got the tablet, it's OK, but it has no multi-user function like other tablets with 4.2 on it. They simply left it out of the firmware. It's really pathetic. I just got off a chat with an ASUS rep, and he confirmed, you can't do it on this tablet.

When I asked him "why did they not put the function in like all the other tablets with 4.2", my connection mysteriously was lost. Figures. Not that I expected the rep to actually understand what their R&D or marketing teams where thinking, but I am hugely disappointed in this. There's no reason to leave that function off.

pegaus77

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just take two of them back..... HD- 7 Asus tech support is a joke....i could reed the screen if i have one too..... Unable to log on ASUS RT-N53 router. (it log on non secure WiFi) Four tech support told me 4 different things....reset the router 4 times .... that is it for me:(

etad putta

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just take two of them back..... HD- 7 Asus tech support is a joke....i could reed the screen if i have one too..... Unable to log on ASUS RT-N53 router. (it log on non secure WiFi) Four tech support told me 4 different things....reset the router 4 times .... that is it for me:(

I think tech support for nearly all devices is pretty weak. For the amount of cash i have invested, it's a first rate tablet. Very happy with this purchase!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21