Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question USB OTG support?

Most threads on this seem to be outdated so I thought I should make a new one.. I was thinking of buying the MeMo Pad HD 7 as an e-reader and for moving files from SD Cards to USB drives while using my camera on trips, and I was wondering if the MeMo Pad HD 7 could do that.. I have no problem with rooting and I have an OTG hub and SD card reader already and would prefer not to buy any extra cables or gear... Thanks!

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: USB OTG support?

Welcome to the forums!

I would REALLY be surprised if OTG was not supported. In my travels it has only been with the Nexus that anything more than the OTG cables is needed.
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah me too, but old threads said that USB OTG did not work but according to Asus would be supported in 4.2.2, which I think the MeMo Pad got upgraded to.. I'm just kind of lost..
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Any MeMo Pad HD 7 owners had any success so far?

I've read that only a powered OTG USB hub will support it. I have a small portable hub somewhere that depending on the PC it's connected to can operate with or without power. I'll try a hunt in down (I have a garage full of hardware so it's hard to find stuff, buried in a box somewhere) and see if it works. My guess is that it will need to be powered, that's what others are saying elsewhere.

Not sure when I'll get to it, but I'll post when I try it.

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by faisalra View Post
    Yeah me too, but old threads said that USB OTG did not work but according to Asus would be supported in 4.2.2, which I think the MeMo Pad got upgraded to.. I'm just kind of lost..
    I just picked up a MemoPad HD 7 and after the latest update its still 4.2.1.
    Live long and prosper.

Check again for an update. Mine found the 4.2.2 today when i checked

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Nope, no update...but of course, I rooted the device upon allowing it into my presence. So, that is likely why the update didn't appear. Its okay. I'll only have this tablet for a week...until the Nexus 7 LTE arrives and can assume proper ROMing roles.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

From what I've been seeing out on the interwebs, though the tablet doesn't 'officially' support OTG, there are those who have gotten it working. There are a few Youtube videos from people showing this.

Post Re: USB OTG support?

For those with 4.2.1 still, just refresh it a few times and it will find the update. My Asus Memo HD7 found the new update 4.2.2 after refreshing it twice.

Hi Just a quick update on this: so far I ve seen that the only way to get the OTG to work (which is by the way not supported in 4.2.2) is to root the device, buy a Y-Cable OTG : one end goes to a power source (hub, socket etc) the other to the mini usb socket and the last one is where you plug your flash drive AND a mounting app. NOW this really cancels out the term OTG. Zero support from ASUS and very annoyed that resellers look at the mini USB connection at the tablet's specifications and advise people that it supports USB connection. IT DOES NOT. This is only for charging

Have a look at the following youtube video: