Transformer Prime compared to new 300>>

ivyleaguer

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello all:

As someone not interested in the 4g aspect of the tablet as wifi is enough for me, I just wanted to know if there are any other real big differences between the new 300 and the asus transformer prime 201?

My 201 is on the way, and I want to make sure I did not make a big mistake. I know it is upgradeable to ICS, so I was wondering if my 201 is much lower quality compared to the 300?

Also, will the asus 201 be able to support a 5g signal from my router?, and once upgraded to ICS, what is the best way to r**t my asus transformer prime? ( I hope I can ask this question)

I am sorry for all the questions, I am new here, and one day hope to be able to contribute more than I ask.

Any help would be welcome.

Thank you.

Last edited:

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is the 300 is a "budget" Prime. The processor is also clocked at 1.2 versus 1.4 on the prime. I'm not clear on if the 300 has a switch for IPS and IPS+ display. The 300 is $100 less.

The deciding factor for me was wifi performance. Wifi on the Prime is notorious for having issues. At the end of the day, having paid $500 for the tablet, I was not willing to accept the possibility that I could experience wifi connection issues when away from home. Otherwise I loved it.

I'm a little concerned about the 1.2 versus 1.4 clocked processor, but I think I'll be o.k. The 300 should fix the issues that plague the Prime as it's got a plastic casing, or at least plastic around the radios that are having issues.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have specific questions. Also, there are some other forums around that seem to have a bit more information (though admittedly not a lot since no one has the device in hand as of yet).

anon(555385)

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things, the 201 is a higher end product than the 300. When it comes to specs, they both have the tegra 3 chip, but the 201 has a higher clocked processor as well as a higher clocked GPU.
AnandTech - ASUS Transformer Pad 300 (TF300T) Review

They both have the same resolution screen, but the 201 is super ips+ versus the ips screen on the 300. This means that the 201 has a brighter and more vibrant screen. Some people have had problems with Wifi and GPS on the 201 because of the aluminum casing, which is better in the 300 because of the plastic case. 300 is also 100 bucks cheaper. As for your other questions, I'm not the one to answer them.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I know I am drumming up an old thread, but it applies to my situation. I am trying to decide between the two.
One other spec item to consider is that the 300 uses DDR3 RAM whereas the 200 uses DDR2. In some of the online comparisons it helps bridge the gap between the processor speed differences.
That being said, I have not yet decided which of the two to get. I saw the 200 at Best Buy and was floored by how great it looked, both screen quality and build quality. I'll have to pop back by and take a look at the 300 to compare and then decide. Looks like Amazon is the place to get either one (Newegg sometimes if they have a sale) ...as of today.

tazz3

May 15, 2012
Visit site
you cant beat the 300 for the money its a awesome tablet with a terga 3 in it.
buy the 300 and save your self 100 dollars :)

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Reasons to get the 300 over the Prime...
1. Over $150 cheaper
2. No Wi-Fi or GPS problems due to the metal case.

The processor is virtually the same. Its only 100Mhz difference.

And really what's the big difference between the screens. I don't the resolution is that much better on the prime. Everyone hypes that but I think it's a mental thing.

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
We have both here side by side. It come down to what's most valuable to you.

1. If you want (by a noticeable margin) the best screen, the best performance (really noticeable only in benchmarks vs, real world use though) and the best overall build quality, get the prime

2. If you want the GPS to actually work (have not tried the tumor add-on for the prime yet, but it's on it's way) and want to save $100 get the TF300. With both units, the 300 gets GPS lock every time, the prime about 50%

That being said, I spent my money on the 300.

YMMV

Mikea1111

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Iad the same debate with myself. I came to the conclusion that the extra cost for a slightly faster processor and higher screen resolution was not worth the extra cash. Ihave been delighted with the 300, i want the direct cybernetic implant next!!!!

I hope this helps

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol