Anyone experiencing instability with ICS on the 300?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I've been researching the TF300 extensively online. Reading reviews on Newegg, Amazon and other sites and I am seeing a pattern of reports that ICS is unstable on the 300 out of the box. Is Google to blame or is ASUS?

Is anyone here experiencing the same? People have reported a lot of force closes on apps, games, the browser. They also say there are not that many apps/games on ICS that are optimized for tablets. How can that be? That sounds insane! What's the point then?!

I am considering getting the TF300 as my first tablet but I'm having second thoughts. What really attracts me is the specs you get for the price. The value seems like the best out there right now!! I am also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 that comes out today but it's only a 16GB for the same price as the TF300 ($399). Plus it only has a 1Ghz Dual-Core CPU. The TF300 seems better with overall specs too but Samsung makes great products so I would think it'd be solid.

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated as I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my first tablet!!

AirlinerDudeB6

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I got the TF300 last week.

Have had only one force close.

So far I am very impressed. Love the fact that its pure ICS...the OS is very responsive.

PM me if you have any questions.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I get force closes every once in a while. Browser does have some issues as well. I don't consider it anything that is a show stopper. Happy with the purchase.

barakis

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have had no issues with mine. ICS is really stable and fast on this tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I would not even think that the new sammy would compare to the TF300 or the acer a510. I don't even think the Sammy hardware wise is even comparable to my old Acer a500.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

AP503

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Have been using my asus tf300 for two weeks. No trouble. ICS has been very stable. Great pad for the money, lots of great features
Hope this helps.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Thank you. I'm also considering the Acer Iconia Tab A510. It seems pretty comparable to the TF300 and is $50 more but doesn't seem to have the issues the TF300 has. Plus Acer gives you a USB host cable. Hmm decisions.

acheezy87

May 4, 2012
Visit site
the only complaint i have on my 300 is the occasional glitching by the virtual buttons. other than that, I am very happy with my purchase

tazz3

May 15, 2012
Visit site
i had the TF 300 for 4 days very stable iam geting my other one tomorrow.
i had to send teh frist one back because i had to pay some bills frist lol.
if you get this on the tf 300 just do a factory reset 3 times in a row this should fix it

midloman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had 2 300's in lees than a week. The first one was acting very erratic, the ics seemed to be unstable with crashes and screens opening and closing on their own. Took it back for an exchange and the second one has screen issuses with jagged lines appearing on the left side. I saw a video( can't remember the site) on this exact problem. When it's working properly it's a great tablet, I like the feel and size of the screen. Unfortunately I bought this along with an Ipad 3 for my wife to choose for her mothers day present. I guess the 300 goes back. No problems with the Ipad, I set up wireless printing with her epson printer on the first try. I still haven't been able to get the 300 to print through Google Cloud Printing. I wish the 300 would have worked because I am NOT an Apple fan and it would have saved me a $120 !

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I'm also considering the Acer Iconia Tab A510. It seems pretty comparable to the TF300 and is $50 more but doesn't seem to have the issues the TF300 has. Plus Acer gives you a USB host cable. Hmm decisions.

Make sure wherever you buy from has a good exchange/return policy. Could be coincidence , but it took 3 units before we got a solid unit.

#1 had heat issues and would thermal shut down after about an hour of misc. use
#2 had a bad screen with noticeable bright spots in 3 of the 4 corners.
#3 appears to be ok so far.

on the plus side of the ledger, the 510 is currently the fastest unit we have in house

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks snovguy. I'm going to shop from Amazon. They have a 30 day return policy. I'm sure I'll be able to spot any problems before then.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been great no issues at all. I did exchange it because my first one had a pixel out and i am ocd about that stuff. I actually use white backgrounds and search lol. Best tablet hands down imo because it does not have the issues the prime does. And has always had ics

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I've had mine for 2 days now, and I've had some lag. Mainly in Chrome. Granted, it's beta, but I don't have the same problem on my Galaxy Nexus.

Other occasional quirky lag. I like it anyway.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Good thing there are more than 1 browser to pick from on Android tablets, right? There's a stock one, and then the Chrome one, and I would hope you can get Firefox or Dolphin Browser HD optimized for tablets.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on the TF300 this week on Amazon. I plan on getting the keyboard dock as well and a 32GB Micro SD off of Newegg.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I fixed all the issues by following what I resisted doing at first but should have listened. Because in the end it fixed everything.

When you get the 300, if you've set it up already, just a run a backup, the tool Asus provide is good.

The do the 'factory reset', it will wipe and set your 300 back to original settings, but for some reason it fixes all the lag issue and the forced closing of apps.

I'm not sure what it does and why it work, but it does work and now I have a fantastic first tablet.

And the built-in browser become wicked fast!

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS I got all this from the XDA site.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for those tips! So you're saying once I get it and before I set it up I should do a factory reset? That does seem odd but hey if it fixes any problems before they arrise then that's great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for those tips! So you're saying once I get it and before I set it up I should do a factory reset? That does seem odd but hey if it fixes any problems before they arrise then that's great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Well, use it and if you encounter any real lag issues then try the factory reset.

Rob

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol