Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Performance problems with Asus Transformer Pad TF300T

Hello forum,
    I'm new in the forum and with all this Android deal, so sorry if i'm reposting or posting on the wrong channel.
    So I'm here because I really need some enlightenment and tips for my new Asus Transformer Pad TF300T. Inicially the tablet used to run smoothly with no lags or glitches running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and life was perfect... Then the "updates" came... and omg... It updated to the recent Android Version 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and with it some damn Firmware update, the last one available from Asus.
    When the update was finished the tablet performance was severaly effected. Well some glitches and bugs on the apps, requiring wait or hard shut down, then flash was disabled destroying all the browsing experience and games stoped to run so smoothly.
    I'm really upset about this... I mean, in my understanding, isn't the Asus Transformer series supposed to be the "Beast" in this tablet deal?? I worked real hard to buy this, and when updating I was expecting better performence and I got more of a "Downgrade" and my tablet all ed up...
    Games like Dead Trigger used to run real smooth on ultra settings and now it kinda' lags, beach buggy blitz wont run smoothly at all... In fact it only runs with no lag if you play with medium resolution!! Is this normal? I mean this is quad core with a tegra 3 isn't it supposed to run all this new games with no problems at all? I've fixed the flash problem after researching on xda forums, as for the other performance problems i've tried Advanced Task Manager, App cache cleaner, uninstalling uncessary crap and even restored to the manufacture settings recommended by the portuguese Asus Support Line.
    A lot of memory it's being used as well after using Advanced Task Manager I still have 600 mb of usage and only 400 mb free or for cache use.
    So what should I do guys? Is it time to switch from stock to root, is it safe? Please help me on this dilema
    Thank you for your time and help,

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Default Re: Performance problems with Asus Transformer Pad TF300T

I haven't updated to Jelly Bean on the TF700 yet but I find that when there's an upgrade, in terms of firmware (4.0 to 4.1 in this case), that doing a factory data reset is usually the best option. If your hesitant to do that, then do some searching and see if others are having the issues that you are having.

When my wifes Nesus S 4g went from Gingerbread to ICS it needed a factory data reset because it became unusable. It might have just been an app that didn't like the update process but it's easier, in most cases, to reset the device then to trouble shoot every single thing. That's not always the case though, my TF700 is rooted and has been for a few weeks and I was using an app that needs root permission without trouble until this past weekend the TF700 would just keep crashing. At first I thought it was the Amazon app store since that seems to be buggy now on the tf700 since that was recently updated so I removed it and tablet kept crashing. So I uninstalled the root app that I became fond of and voila, tab stopped crashing. App might have become corrupt, idk but uninstalling it worked wonders.

The other option, I suppose, is to try and remember if you installed anything recently that might be causing your issues. Might not be related to your Jelly Bean update at all.

What Unibrow says is true. When I first first upgraded to stock Jellybean, even on performance mode, games like dead trigger would lag a lot more than when I was on ICS. After my little incident with trying to install custom roms, I did a full factory wipe with TWRP recovery. After which I installed the stock JB update from TWRP and now i don't have AS MUCH of a problem with it. I still prefer Cyanogenmod on my tf300 but I am still having problems putting THAT back on after this JB update.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Alright guys thanks for the help :-). I'll make a factury reset plus i'll try to root my device to try the custom builds/roms. I'll troubleshot all the procedure and when i'm done i'll reply my experience with full detail on the forum. Thank you for the help once again

I have the 300 and since the jelly bean update my tablet has been horrible. It's laggy, the keyboard adds unwanted letters, and when I try
    To delete a letter it deletes the entire word at a very fast rate. When I scroll the pages, and the speed is so fast that it continues in a circle. The list goes on. I spoke with Asus and was told that they are not aware of any issues since the update. I may go back to ics. I am very disappointed.

Hi,
    I asked asus about reverting to ics and they it could not be done. I dont know if thats true or not though. Good luck if you try. Please post the result here.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

I spoke with Asus again and was told that I cannot get ics. They supervisor was very unprofessional. Being am really disappointed with Asus. Before I bought this tablet ( 2 months) ago, I read a lot of great reviews. Before they update I was impressed with them tablet. At this time this will be my last Asus product. Their warranty(service is below standard). I hope prospective buyers take note of this.
    Asus does NOT want to acknowledge that the update has issues. I will have to send it in for repair.....
    Thanked by:

I had some issues with the compass and was told to do factory reset. Seems to be be the stock answer. However, it does seem to work.

I was pleasantly suprised by the prompt reply from the support desk as it was within their self imposed timescales. My problem at the moment is that the stock browser shuts down randomly, especially on cnet, whereas chrome and firefox are ok.

I have installed flash and bbc iplayer from xda developers web site, works with the the stock browser, but not with chrome. No browser seems to provide all the facilities to run everything on the web. Other than that i am delighted with the tablet. I think my wife is fed up with me being on it all the time!!!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Viper

Everyone having issues. FACTORY RESET. After you so this, then you can have lagitament complaints. Otas are dirty flashes and can cause problems. The only way to fix is factory reset

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

I just received my second update for 4.1 .1 today, I can't really tell if there are any improvement yet but it is supposed to help stability. The new firmware version is 10.4 .2 .13
    Thanked by:
    Cuda62 
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Sorry for so much time to reply, busy with University and stuff... So I've found a "solution".
    I've tried out all... Factory reset, clean cache, taskillers, you name it... Nothing seemed to work. System lag, constant crashes and super game lag!! Since Asus or Google didn't want to take responsability for this bad update I took matters in to my own hands and started exploring for new solutions aka CUSTOM ROMS.
    I knew the risks envolved and dat I was going to loose waranty... but thank God I tried this alternative feature out .
    So after rooting I tried to flash cyanogenmod but for some reason it doesn't work on TF300T. After researching on XDA I found this new custom rom called CLEAN ROM 2.0 and it's simply a smooth stock version of your original system. In my understanding and experience it as almost all stock features plus some extras customable features. It runs really smooth.
    Dead Trigger stopped to lag and it runs really smooth on Ultra settings it only lags the firts 2 seconds after load. Beach buggy Blitz runs real smooth too on maximum resolution. It only lags a bit inside caves. Till now, no crashes what so ever .
    The only problem I see, it's dat the system is consuming to many memory like I said before, but it doesn't seem to affect the system dat much for now :S I'ts a bit confusing actually.
    But well this isn't solving the problem at all... I still lost my warranty and risked my tablet. It would be awesome that some one influencial here in the forum would expose this to asus or google. They didn't do nothing to help their troubled costumers and I'm shocked because I always loved asus.
    If you're having the same problem that I'm having try contacting them and show your discontentment relativly to this situation. Or you can obviosly try my method, but be aware you can brick your device and you'll certanally loose your warranty. It's your own risk and me or the developers aren't responsible for nothing.
    For you guys interested on rooting and flashing custom roms see this threads please:
    ONLY WORKS ON TF300T MODELS

> Rooting and CWM Recovery (Works on ALL Firmware)

> [CWM][6.0.1.3 / 5.5.0.4] Official CWM Recovery for JB/ICS + ROOT (get recovery img
    [CWM][6.0.1.3 / 5.5.0.4] Official CWM Recovery for JB/ICS + ROOT - xda-developers

> Get Custom Rom CleanROM 2.0
    [ROM][9/12][JB 4.1.1] CleanROM 2.0 -★| Incredibly Smooth! | Amazingly Elegant! |★- - xda-developers

Well guys read all with lots of patience and be calm all the time, I hope u find the perfect tablet state!! Well... I certainly found it .
    I'm very happy with Clean Rom 2.0 will be trying new ones soon and I'll let you know the outcome.
    Hope I helped and thank you forum.

I have been having the same issues with my TF300T since upgrading to Jelly Bean. I am thinking of going back to ICS by restoring back to factory defaults. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to clean the browser cache. I think that will fix my lag issues. Thanks to whoever can help out!!!

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    I have been having the same issues with my TF300T since upgrading to Jelly Bean. I am thinking of going back to ICS by restoring back to factory defaults. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to clean the browser cache. I think that will fix my lag issues. Thanks to whoever can help out!!!
    You can't revert back. Factory reset just wipes data. Not change the os.

If you are having problem and have not reset though, that should be the first thing you do.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)

Hey,
    I've had similar issues with my tf300t since the 4.1 update. I recently bought my Girlfriend an asus nexus 7 (runs on the same tegra 3 chip) and ever since the recent 4.2 update, she has been experiencing similar lag/crash and spontaneous shutdown issues. She uses the tablet mainly for the stock google apps, web browsing, social media etc. - nothing that is too strenuous on the the processor. This lead me to believe that both her tablet and my own were suffering from a software bug as neither of really push our devices to their full capacity. I started looking around for solutions and came across a recent tip specifically for the N7.

Open up the google currents app,
    hit the "more options" button (3 vertical dots - top right)
    Go into settings
    Uncheck "enable background sync"
    Restart Device

For kicks, I tried this on my tf300t and it seems to have made significant difference - homescreen switching is snappy, no more app crashes (yet). Despite being an avid user of Currents, it is worth the very minor inconvenience of hitting the "sync now" button every time I use it. My tablet feels and reacts like it did when I first unboxed it - except now it runs 4.1 smoothly!
    Give it a shot and let me know - I'll be trying the same thing to my gf's nexus 7 as soon as I get home.
    Hope it helps!
    Thanked by:

Well I did a factory reset and it bricked my machine and cannot recover from that. It is flimsy system will never get an Asus machine ever again. It is like if a car wreak because you did not downgrade the gears in the right time.

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Yves_Michel View Post
    Well I did a factory reset and it bricked my machine and cannot recover from that. It is flimsy system will never get an Asus machine ever again. It is like if a car wreak because you did not downgrade the gears in the right time.
    Factory reset brick? I have a hard time believing that one. They will replace it if it is true no charge

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Question Re: Performance problems with Asus Transformer Pad TF300T

Well I too have problems with my TF300t. It was great when it was running ICS but as like every one else said JB really messed it up. As of right now I'm unlocked, rooted and running hydro 7 with a 1.7Ghz OC kernel and its way better then stock but still it does not play any high resolution games without lag! It really suxs once you upgrade to JB there is no way back, ..... For now. If any one had found a way or knows some thing please share. Thanks nick.

I had severe internet navigation issues also but after changing the iniciator from 4.1 to 4.2 it did increase performance.

Yikes!! I just ordered my tf300t, it should be here in a couple of days. From what I am reading, I take it that the consensus would be "DON'T ALLOW THE JB UPGRADE"???
    This kind of upsets me since I bought this machine based on my happy experiences using JB on my Note 2.
    Does anyone have anything positive to say about upgrading? I don't know that I've ever even seen ICS... before my Note 2 I had a Galaxy S. I have no idea what that was running, but in some ways, I liked it better. Obviously apples to oranges with two years lag time in between, but now I'm kind of scared.

=( MrsChief

Jellybean works quite well on mine. If you want to make sure it runs as smoothly as possible, I suggest doing a factory data rest after updating. Keep in mind that this will erase your data and apps, so make sure you back up all of your data beforehand, and be prepared to reinstall your apps.

You also get the option to change your launcher to the new Jellybean launcher, which I think is actually not as good, and maybe a bit more sluggish. So my suggestion would be to stick with the old launcher when it asks you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

I've had a positive experience with JellyBean, the only thing that should have been improved was how long the launcher stays in memory.

Other than that, haven't had problems with stock.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.

I had problems when I updated from 4.1 to 4.2 but then I did a cold boot and it seemed to fix the problems

Various quick fixes links and help.

doing a factory reset will fix the problem of hdmi cable and battery drainage this is a google problem atleast that is what asus told me..i did factory reset and i did it correct according to master help files and it didnt solve the 4.2.1 issues...

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by georgetirone View Post
    doing a factory reset will fix the problem of hdmi cable and battery drainage this is a google problem atleast that is what asus told me..i did factory reset and i did it correct according to master help files and it didnt solve the 4.2.1 issues...
    I know, I was highly disappointed. But at least I feel better about it. But the SOD is still there.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.

ASUS Transformer TF300T: So did your Factory Reset fix the battery drain AND the HDMI problem? These are the two issues that have occurred as a result of 4.2.1.

The tech person trying to fix these two issues is saying there is a risk of bricking if they put on the version of firmware to go from 4.2.1 back to the factory installation of 4.1.1. Can you provide details of what you did?
    Thanks!
    L
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast