1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Default Aha, I figured it out! Bugmailer.sh

All right, so most (if not all) stock and custom ROMs have bugreport and/or bugmailer.sh, both can be located in /system/bin/

At predetermined times, those files execute a command that noticeably lag said Android phone or Android tablet. And does something in the background.

Now, bugreport and bugmailer.sh differ slightly...

bugreport: Vibrates the device (or makes a sound), then begins compiling a bug report of your whole system, during that, you'll notice anything from slight lag to an unresponsive device. Once finished, the device will vibrate 3 times (or make a sound), and your device resumes as if nothing happened.

bugmailer.sh: (This is on the ASUS TF300T stock) It makes a noise if sound is enabled and begins doing what "bugreport" does and compiles a type of log of your whole device, while lagging the system pretty bad. At the end of it, however, it takes a screenshot and then prompts you to mail it somewhere. I will provide a screenshot of what I mean soon.

"Where are these files stored?"

Well, there's a folder called "bugreports" that is located in /mnt/sdcard/bugreports/ and there they reside. So in case you wonder why you've been running out of room, there's your answer.

"Why are you posting this here?"

Because the "bugmailer.sh" happened way too often for me and when I told people about it, they didn't believe me and thought that I was crazy.

But today, I said "Enough is enough", and sought out to figure out how it knows when to start. So I tried different things to get it to start, and nothing was working. But I remembered that it seemed to always happen when I was messing with the volume buttons, so I tried different combinations until I figured it out.

The combination is: Volume Up + Volume Down at the same time 7-8 times.

"It's not doing anything..."

It will, you just have to push the buttons at EXACTLY the same time.

Try it out for yourself, screenshots later.

"How can I stop this from happening?"

There's only one way: delete the file. But, since its a system file, you have to be rooted to be able to delete it. It won't mess anything up at all, nothing is linked to it. So, if you're rooted and tired of it happening or you just don't want it to ever happen, just delete it and go on about your life.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
    Thanked by:
    Erckul 
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Default Re: Aha, I figured it out! Bugmailer.sh

Screenshots:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aha, I figured it out! Bugmailer.sh-uploadfromtaptalk1359155390552.jpg   Aha, I figured it out! Bugmailer.sh-uploadfromtaptalk1359155409779.jpg   Aha, I figured it out! Bugmailer.sh-uploadfromtaptalk1359155423360.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by OperationA7X View Post
    All right, so most (if not all) stock and custom ROMs have bugreport and/or bugmailer.sh, both can be located in /system/bin/

At predetermined times, those files execute a command that noticeably lag said Android phone or Android tablet. And does something in the background.

Now, bugreport and bugmailer.sh differ slightly...

bugreport: Vibrates the device (or makes a sound), then begins compiling a bug report of your whole system, during that, you'll notice anything from slight lag to an unresponsive device. Once finished, the device will vibrate 3 times (or make a sound), and your device resumes as if nothing happened.

bugmailer.sh: (This is on the ASUS TF300T stock) It makes a noise if sound is enabled and begins doing what "bugreport" does and compiles a type of log of your whole device, while lagging the system pretty bad. At the end of it, however, it takes a screenshot and then prompts you to mail it somewhere. I will provide a screenshot of what I mean soon.

"Where are these files stored?"

Well, there's a folder called "bugreports" that is located in /mnt/sdcard/bugreports/ and there they reside. So in case you wonder why you've been running out of room, there's your answer.

"Why are you posting this here?"

Because the "bugmailer.sh" happened way too often for me and when I told people about it, they didn't believe me and thought that I was crazy.

But today, I said "Enough is enough", and sought out to figure out how it knows when to start. So I tried different things to get it to start, and nothing was working. But I remembered that it seemed to always happen when I was messing with the volume buttons, so I tried different combinations until I figured it out.

The combination is: Volume Up + Volume Down at the same time 7-8 times.

"It's not doing anything..."

It will, you just have to push the buttons at EXACTLY the same time.

Try it out for yourself, screenshots later.

"How can I stop this from happening?"

There's only one way: delete the file. But, since its a system file, you have to be rooted to be able to delete it. It won't mess anything up at all, nothing is linked to it. So, if you're rooted and tired of it happening or you just don't want it to ever happen, just delete it and go on about your life.

That explains the random noises I hear in my house... Or at least a few of them :sly:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Taco View Post
    That explains the random noises I hear in my house... Or at least a few of them :sly:

The rest of them are Slenderman.

so...I'm dumb beyond dumd...just use for phone mail & calendar...I have no idea what "rooted" means. is there any hope I can get rid of this thing
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by john arant View Post
    so...I'm dumb beyond dumd...just use for phone mail & calendar...I have no idea what "rooted" means. is there any hope I can get rid of this thing
    Sorry for not updating, but this will only happen if you have Debugging Enabled. If you haven't enabled it yet, then you won't know what I'm talking about. Enable it in the settings real quick and see what I mean.

Settings>Developer Options>Enable USB Debugging

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy's Jellybean 4.2.1

thanks so much for this! awesome find. that random beep and screenshots that I didn't take were driving me crazy as well. to clarify, I can delete the entire "bugreports" folder?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    thanks so much for this! awesome find. that random beep and screenshots that I didn't take were driving me crazy as well. to clarify, I can delete the entire "bugreports" folder?
    Yes, yes you can, and no harm will be done to the tablet, quite the opposite.

Thanked by:
    Erckul 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

I apologize to the user who told me on this, but disable USB Debugging and it will not run.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by OperationA7X View Post
    I apologize to the user who told me on this, but disable USB Debugging and it will not run.

He finally figured it out :o

I am on android 4.2.1 and I do not have developer options in settings. They used to be there but I cannot see them now.
    Have they moved or what?

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mikea1111 View Post
    I am on android 4.2.1 and I do not have developer options in settings. They used to be there but I cannot see them now.
    Have they moved or what?

That's a default settings in 4.2, you have to go to Settings>About Tablet>Build Number and click on it 10 times.

Thanks for the info.

regards

Mike

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

No problem, anytime!

hi i have a similar problem i install a rom called tweakwiz since then when i power up the phone it starts to vibrate without any reason like every 5 seconds idk what to do? and theres no notifications.