Performance vs balanced mode

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is probably just my imagination, but has anyone else noticed that performance mode actually seems laggier than balanced mode? This is while my TF300 is docked.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
This is probably just my imagination, but has anyone else noticed that performance mode actually seems laggier than balanced mode? This is while my TF300 is docked.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

When my tablet is docked on Balanced mode, Jetpack Joyride seems to lag in terms of lower frame rate. But when I turn on Performance mode, it runs smoothly for the most part. But Performance mode does lag from time to time, best to do a reboot. Refresh the cache, etc.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about when it's docked but I think in general the tablet runs a lot better in performance mode. I seem to have some lagging lately while in balanced mode and doing the most common tasks like web browsing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
There are three types of processing settings:

(These are just my observations, nothing official.)

Power Saver: Caps the CPU at 1 GHz at the max.

Balanced Mode: Max power but drops lower when used for extended times.

Performance mode: Keeps the CPU at Max power unless screen off.

As far as I've been concerned, Balance Mode works loads better than Performance mode on 4.2.1.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
There are three types of processing settings:

(These are just my observations, nothing official.)

Power Saver: Caps the CPU at 1 GHz at the max.

Balanced Mode: Max power but drops lower when used for extended times.

Performance mode: Keeps the CPU at Max power unless screen off.

As far as I've been concerned, Balance Mode works loads better than Performance mode on 4.2.1.

Close, but not quite correct. Balanced mode caps the processor at either 1.1GHz or 1.2GHz (don't remember), but definitely not max. The "Performance mode" you described, actually describes the Performance CPU governor, which is completely different from, and unrelated to, the ASUS settings. The ASUS Performance setting allows the CPU to scale up to the max speed (in this case, either 1.2GHz or 1.3GHz; I don't remember), but it still scales the CPU similarly to Balanced mode rather than keeping the CPU at max speed all the time.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Close, but not quite correct. Balanced mode caps the processor at either 1.1GHz or 1.2GHz (don't remember), but definitely not max. The "Performance mode" you described, actually describes the Performance CPU governor, which is completely different from, and unrelated to, the ASUS settings. The ASUS Performance setting allows the CPU to scale up to the max speed (in this case, either 1.2GHz or 1.3GHz; I don't remember), but it still scales the CPU similarly to Balanced mode rather than keeping the CPU at max speed all the time.

Didn't know the Performance Mode was the normal Performance scheduler, I thought ASUS made their own timings too. Thanks though. And I wonder if anyone knows the max speed the chip can handle. I know my Vivid can handle 1.7 GHz Dual core (Stock 1.2 GHz dual core), but if the tablet can go much higher.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Didn't know the Performance Mode was the normal Performance scheduler, I thought ASUS made their own timings too.

I think you may have misunderstood. I was saying that your description matched the Performance governor, NOT ASUS' Performance mode. They are two completely different things. ASUS' Performance mode uses the same governor as all their other modes, ondemand.

Thanks though. And I wonder if anyone knows the max speed the chip can handle. I know my Vivid can handle 1.7 GHz Dual core (Stock 1.2 GHz dual core), but if the tablet can go much higher.

I don't know the max speed, but I have mine overclocked to 1.7 GHz, and it doesn't even get close to hot while playing GTA Vice City. Max speed will depend on each individual processor's tolerances. Some may be able to handle 2 GHz, and others may choke on 1.7 GHz.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood. I was saying that your description matched the Performance governor, NOT ASUS' Performance mode. They are two completely different things. ASUS' Performance mode uses the same governor as all their other modes, ondemand. I don't know the max speed, but I have mine overclocked to 1.7 GHz, and it doesn't even get close to hot while playing GTA Vice City. Max speed will depend on each individual processor's tolerances. Some may be able to handle 2 GHz, and others may choke on 1.7 GHz.

It was not a matter of heat at all, but there's the Carrier's/OEM'S CPU setting, and then there's the manufacturer's limit. I wanted to know if anyone knew the maximum CPU Overclock number in terms of GHz.

For example: Any Vivid you purchase stock from AT&T is set to 1.2 GHz maximum.

HOWEVER, the OEM (Qualcomm) made the chip have a maximum limit of 1.7 GHz.

The TF300T is 1.2 GHz I believe, and you say you can run 1.7 GHz just fine, but is that the maximum amount?

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It was not a matter of heat at all, but there's the Carrier's/OEM'S CPU setting, and then there's the manufacturer's limit. I wanted to know if anyone knew the maximum CPU Overclock number in terms of GHz.

For example: Any Vivid you purchase stock from AT&T is set to 1.2 GHz maximum.

HOWEVER, the OEM (Qualcomm) made the chip have a maximum limit of 1.7 GHz.

The TF300T is 1.2 GHz I believe, and you say you can run 1.7 GHz just fine, but is that the maximum amount?

I've heard of people using TF700 kernels to overclock to 1.9 GHz, but there aren't any current TF300T kernels that go above 1.7 GHz, at least for AOSP. I don't pay much attention to stock-based kernels, so IDK about them. If you want to use a TF700 kernel, you'll have to modify it to work on the TF300T.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll stick to 1.7 GHz. I know how to recovery just about anything my Vivid does, but I'm fairly new in modding a tablet. So 1.7 is the max. You wouldn't happen to know the tablet battery's capacity in mAh, would you? I looked everywhere and couldn't find a number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz