Excessive battery drain, today only

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
In another forum, I described how my mom's OG Transformer quit charging. We tried all the remedies to no avail, so I ordered her the 300 with the dock. It arrived Monday nearly dead (which precludes doing any firmware updates immediately), and after a few hours both keyboard and tablet were fully charged.

Two days of very light use (mostly configuring widgets), with and without the keyboard connected, and the battery was hovering at a respectable 80%. This morning I opened it up, played for five minutes, the shoved it my backpack to take to my mom's after work.

About ten hours later, when I pulled it out of my backpack, it was warm and the keyboard battery was 0% and the tablet was 7%!

We put them both on the charger as I showed my mom some Jelly Bean changes. It was at 50% when I left.

What could have happened to make the battery drain so precipitously when sleeping?

TJH

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I remember the issues you posted about before, so hopefully I'm not repeating any advice right now.

Something is probably keeping it awake. Try installing Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you which apps are waking the device up to do stuff, and how often.

Since I don't feel the need for my apps to be constantly refreshing when I'm not using my device, I make sure all apps that have the option of adjusting refresh rates are set to Never, Manual, or the longest possible interval. Do this for apps like Facebook and Pulse. Google Currents is notorious for battery drain, so definitely change that to manual refresh only (or better yet, disable it if you have other news readers that you prefer).

I recently found that Google Maps has a setting called Location Reporting (open Maps, hit Menu, tap Settings/Location settings), which by default is on, and causes Maps to wake the device up very frequently to check location and, I think, report it to Google. Turning Location Reporting off improved my battery life on my Razr Maxx, and I haven't noticed any problem with Google Now so far, so I'm still not entirely sure what the purpose of Location Reporting is. Apps can still use your Location data, because that setting is in the main Settings menu, not the Maps Settings. So try turning it off.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Nonononononono, I know this one, this has happened to me too!!!!

Okay, I'm so excited, I must calm down before I forget.

So, when you dock it and close it, the screen turns off, which it's supposed to do. HOWEVER, the most recent update somehow causes the screen to stay on, even after closing the tablet and putting it away. With the screen constantly on, things start to get warm. Your processor and other sensors dectect the heat and if it's too hot, the processing power is throttled. And, if you have resource hungry apps that run a lot in the background, those need performance power and battery power to run. Since the CPU is throttled to a lower speed due to excessive heating, the apps try their hardest to get their processes done, and when that happens, it's like trying to force a log into a Cheerio, the best example I can give. So now, since the processor is throttled AND has to run multiple processes, the CPU gets even hotter, and, in order to provide more power, it draws on the batteries even more.

Hence, the heat and battery drain. And if you haven't updated it, then this is still a major possibility. Although I haven't noticed it until 4.2.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I'll do some troubleshooting next time I see my mom.

TJH

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Benderino

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey there, I got the exact same problem. When my pad is attached to the dock and I put it in sleep mode, the batteries drains in a day. If I detach the dock, the pad can stay in sleep mode for several days without charging!

Did you find any way to fix this issue? Maybe we should try to contact Asus about this?
I mostly bought the dock for the improved battery life, now it's useless to me!

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, I got the exact same problem. When my pad is attached to the dock and I put it in sleep mode, the batteries drains in a day. If I detach the dock, the pad can stay in sleep mode for several days without charging!

Did you find any way to fix this issue? Maybe we should try to contact Asus about this?
I mostly bought the dock for the improved battery life, now it's useless to me!

See that. V uploadfromtaptalk1365815398099.jpg

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21