Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default touching controls bar causes white screen, necessitates reboot

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Lately, it seems that sometimes (intermittently only) I will touch the control bar (with home, back, etc icons) and the screen just goes white. At that point I lose all control of the tablet. It just stays white, and I cannot even reboot, let alone get out of whatever app I was in and back to home screen.

I have finally discovered that if I put it on the charger, that would somehow wake it up (no, it was not nearly drained in battery...that's not the problem). Once it woke up, I could do a reboot and start using it again, which works for awhile. But it's happening a couple of times a day now, not once every 3 months, so major annoyance. I've noticed it happening most with MX Video Player, but not exclusively.

Any ideas? TIA.

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: touching controls bar causes white screen, necessitates reboot

Have you tried a factory reset? It's a hassle if you need to backup a lot of information, but may clear up the issue happening with the device. It seems like something is conflicting with the system. It could be app related. So you know of an app that was recently installed when the issue started then try deleting that app to fine the source of the problem.

If there were a way to wipe the system cache using the stock recovery on this thing, I'd suggest that, but it isn't possible. You might try a hard reset before going as far as a factory reset. I just did it on my TF300, and it seems to be working a little better.

1. Power the tablet off.
    2. Press the Volume Down and Power buttons together until you see some menu choices.
    3. You should see 3 icons--the left one says "RCK," the middle one shows an Android icon, and the right one says Wipe Data. Press the Volume Down button once to highlight the middle icon, then press the Power button to execute it. The tablet should reboot normally.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the tips.

Nothing actually seems to function when this happens until I put it on the charger and then everything works fine.

But lately it is much better. I took a tip in another thread and downloaded All-in-one Toolbox and disabled a few apps suggested, particularly Asus Sync, and since then it is stable (and faster).

I confess it is also feeling very much like I want that Samsung 2014 Note. But that may wait awhile.