1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM 10.1 Unofficial

Default Rooting and ROM-ing

Okay, since it's looking ever so unlikely that Asus will upgrade this tablet past 4.2.1, I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and doing an unlock and root to it. So, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations to what to install? Last thing I did this to was the HTC Inspire 4G, and it went fine.

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Rooting and ROM-ing

I'd suggest CyanogenMod 10.2 Stable or you can go with CM11.
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    CM 10.1 Unofficial

I know I want to try KitKat, so whichever one of those has it will get my vote.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

CM11 is based in KitKat.

Optimus G Pro
    Live long and prosper.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    CM 10.1 Unofficial

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    CM11 is based in KitKat.

Optimus G Pro
    Then, this is the direction I will go in. Thanks!

CROMi-X has been rock solid. Very fast. Most people on the XDA thread come from CM11, try CROMi-X and never go back to CM11.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by SkinsFan1987 View Post
    Okay, since it's looking ever so unlikely that Asus will upgrade this tablet past 4.2.1, I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and doing an unlock and root to it. So, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations to what to install? Last thing I did this to was the HTC Inspire 4G, and it went fine.
    I just ROMed with OmniROM which is a KitKat build. It is basically a vanilla android ROM with a few perks. I personally LOVE it (so much faster and smoother than the stock). But...

1) Camera is not working reliably. I tried to take a Photosphere and now it crashes whenever I open it. On this ROM, google apps (including camera) are flashed separately though, so it is not a huge deal for me. But I did flash the AOSP camera and it doesn't seem to play nice with the hardware. I assume if you flashed the stock camera it'd probably work fine. I might do that eventually. The camera does work with 3rd party apps (I can use focal, but the display is weird. But that might just be Focal itself).

2) ART is not supported, but it is there, and I am too chicken to try it. The option is there but a warning pops up saying basically "use at your own risk". It seems plenty fast without it though.

3) Can't get GPS to work (aGPS does seem to work though...I can get my location on Maps)

Other than that everything seems to be as good or better than normal. Bluetooth works. This was a dramatic improvement over stock, and I am so glad I ROMed. I am using the latest TWRP recovery which itself is awesome.

- Yes, it is a 4.4.2 ROM

Edit - Camera is fine, just won't work with the AOSP app. Installed ICS camera from the market and it works fine. Still won't take photospheres though. And I am on ART now and everything seems fine. Same performance improvements I have seen on other Android devices.
    Last edited by JeffDenver; 12-28-2013 at 08:01 AM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    CM 10.1 Unofficial

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I just ROMed with OmniROM which is a KitKat build. It is basically a vanilla android ROM with a few perks. I personally LOVE it (so much faster and smoother than the stock). But...

1) Camera is not working reliably. I tried to take a Photosphere and now it crashes whenever I open it. On this ROM, google apps (including camera) are flashed separately though, so it is not a huge deal for me. But I did flash the AOSP camera and it doesn't seem to play nice with the hardware. I assume if you flashed the stock camera it'd probably work fine. I might do that eventually. The camera does work with 3rd party apps (I can use focal, but the display is weird. But that might just be Focal itself).

2) ART is not supported, but it is there, and I am too chicken to try it. The option is there but a warning pops up saying basically "use at your own risk". It seems plenty fast without it though.

3) Can't get GPS to work (aGPS does seem to work though...I can get my location on Maps)

Other than that everything seems to be as good or better than normal. Bluetooth works. This was a dramatic improvement over stock, and I am so glad I ROMed. I am using the latest TWRP recovery which itself is awesome.

- Yes, it is a 4.4.2 ROM
    I think I'll give this one a try...as soon as I get everything backed up.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    CM 10.1 Unofficial

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

- Yes, it is a 4.4.2 ROM

Edit - Camera is fine, just won't work with the AOSP app. Installed ICS camera from the market and it works fine. Still won't take photospheres though. And I am on ART now and everything seems fine. Same performance improvements I have seen on other Android devices.
    I just installed this ROM, and I'm really liking it so far. The Google Now integration is nice, and I'm working on getting the hang of KitKat.

Posted from the by God Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Android Central App